Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #41

AbsoLUTEly! Our house has been struck by lighting numerous times. Twice it destroyed our well pump. While the outlets is on our garage, and has two CBs between it and the electrical panel, we use the surge protector without fail.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #42

We're kind of lucky where we live for lightning protection. We live about 2 doors down from high tension power wires that are about 4X higher than our roof so most lightning would strike there instead. Kind of eerie going outside on a humid day to hear the buzzing of the tension wires, but have yet to notice any drawbacks associated with the wires so close to the house. I mean we've noticed the cat walking backwards on occasion, but she is a weird cat!
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
I did a pretty thorough search here in this sub-forum and while I found lots of info regarding surge protectors used in campgrounds I did not find any posts discussing the use of a protector when plugged in at home.

First of all, I do have a Southwire 50 amp Surge Guard (#34951) protector I use when plugged in at a campground. Currently (sorry, no pun intended) at home I plug into a 20 amp outlet inside a metal building with a concrete floor. I plan here shortly to wire a 30 amp RV outlet which I will use for winter storage and also for in-between trip storage. While my trailer is 50 amp this is only because it is pre-wired for a second A/C and only has one 15K unit installed. It’s unlikely I would ever run the A/C at home but the 30 amp would do it if needed.

So my questions for you who leave your units plugged in at home do you use a surge protector? If so, what do you use? I see a Camco surge only protector on Amazon for around $50 which I will attach a link to below. Personally I feel since my power at home is clean and built in 2016 to code of course I see my only risk is lightning surge type of events. You guys who understand electricity more than I do please chime in and advise me. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf

Thanks for all who replied, looks like some do and some don’t. I decided to purchase the Camco 30 amp protector I linked to in my original post. Even tho I have the 50 amp Southwire and could adapt it as suggested I am getting the 30 amp as I can use it both at home and at our property up north which also has a 30 amp outlet. Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts and for taking the time to reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	936559AF-6ACE-412C-A1B4-80445063CF83.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	216142  
Old 10-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #44

Today I wired and installed a 30 RV outlet in my shop where my trailer is stored. Thanks to wmtire for posting this link to a simple easy to use instruction sheet. My entire investment was just a little bit more than $100.00 with the most expensive item 50’ of 8-2 wg wire.

Link: http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

As mentioned above I picked up the Camco 30 amp surge protector for about $50. Maybe not needed but with an investment of less than $200.00 I’m properly wired and protected to some degree. Thanks again for everybody’s input especially wmtire post with the wiring instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BC5EFE6-3FA1-458E-8B54-27CFCBD72A3E.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	216844   Click image for larger version

Name:	A238E0B0-4234-4841-BF88-F951058BE2AA.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	216845