Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

Surge Protector, hardwired or portable?

I own a 2015 Rockwood 2618 Ulta V and I'm try to decide whether to get a portable or hardwired surge protector (Progressive EMS).
I think I prefer the hardwired because it really can't be stolen but I don't see where to install it. There is no access where the electric line comes into the camper. Can anyone give specific advice on installation location?
The second option is a portable unit. I'm a little concerned that it would be stolen. Is this an unfounded concern? Is there is good way to secure them?
Thank you.
UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraV View Post
I own a 2015 Rockwood 2618 Ulta V and I'm try to decide whether to get a portable or hardwired surge protector (Progressive EMS).
I think I prefer the hardwired because it really can't be stolen but I don't see where to install it. There is no access where the electric line comes into the camper. Can anyone give specific advice on installation location?
The second option is a portable unit. I'm a little concerned that it would be stolen. Is this an unfounded concern? Is there is good way to secure them?
Thank you.
I can't answer your first question but the second I can. I have the portable plug in and I don't worry about it being stolen at all. I really haven't heard of any being stolen either. There is always a slime bag around somewhere, but I'm surely not going to worry about them. They do have locking devices for them but it is a waste of money to me. If I think I'm in a iffey type park I'll wrap a chain around it just to make it look secured but really it's not....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #3

I leave my portable EMS connected all season long every season and I have never had a problem.

Bruce
Old 12-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

I installed my hardwired PI EMS by disconnecting the cable at the back of the consumer unit on the input side. I fed those wires into the input of the PI and then ran a short length of #6 cable from the output of the PI to the input side of the consumer unit. I am no electrician but this took me only about an hour. The most difficult part was feeding the wires from the two lengths of cable into the PI unit. That thickness of cabe and wire isn't the most malleable I have ever found. I had the PI EMS with the remote panel for viewing the condition of the power coming in to the RV so I then just attached the data cable and found a suitable location to mount the remote section.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

I too have a portable surge protector and have used the same one on two different 5er's for the last 6 years. If the unit was hardwired in than I would have had to buy a new one when we got our new Cedar Creek unit.

I also have a plastic locking cover that locks both the electrical cord and the surge protector together; which I use. I know this will not stop a thief, but it does help to prevent the unit from just walking away. If some one really wanted the surge protector they would probably take the electrical cord to. A 50 AMP power cords cost more than $130 on Amazon and a RV dealer this would be over $200.

Something else to worry about.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #6

I agree with everything in the thread. I use a portable and secure it with bicycle lock. There is a metal tab on the portable unit to use as a lock. I believe if someone really wanted it they could take it. To be honest if you let that type of stuff get to you I think it will ruin the experience.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #7

I went with the portable version. We have a tt now, but I have ambitions of a 5er. DW may want a different tt in the future. Never worry about it getting stolen.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

2016 Forest River Wildwood T27RKSS
2010 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab PSD
Shady camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Site Team

Having it hardwired wasn't really an option for me so I went with the portable unit. I do lock the stand cover but if it's not possible I try not to worry about it. In the event it does get stolen then I will consider investing in having the replacement hardware.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

I have the portable version. All I did was make a cable that I could loop around something permanent like you would a bicycle. It won't stop someone who is determined to steal it or my power cable but is enough to keep an honest person honest and keep mischievous kids out of trouble.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

I got a Progressive Industries EMS PT 30. Bike lock cable through the tab then in lots of cases you can run it between the conduit and the power post. Other option is that most power boxes has a hasp on them for a lockout. Just get a padlock.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRollingRoadblock View Post
I got a Progressive Industries EMS PT 30. Bike lock cable through the tab then in lots of cases you can run it between the conduit and the power post. Other option is that most power boxes has a hasp on them for a lockout. Just get a padlock.
Never thought of putting a lock on the box itself, now i feel stupid, that's an easy thing to do..Thanks....

Old 12-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

Another fundamental requirement also applies. What is a surge? For many, reverse polarity or a low AC voltage is a surge. A Progressive may protect from that 'surge'. Another surge is a high current transient (ie lightning). That type of 'surge' requires a low impedance (within feet) connection to an earth ground electrode at a pole. If a protector is too far from earth ground and too close to RV appliances, then protection does not exist.

Demonstrated is another example of a hardwired verse portable unit. A portable version can make a low impedance (ie less than a meter) connection to the earthing electrode. A hardwired cannot. Which 'surge' concerns you?
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #13

Thanks for the good advice. I'm going portable, getting a padlock, kicking back, and watch the sun go down.
UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraV View Post
... and watch the sun go down.
... with gun in lap waiting for that surge protector thief.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post

Great Movie Doc, by the way I was watching NFL live today presented by Ford. Have you seen the new f-150's they have what is called back up assist. It's a knob that you turn to steer your trailer as you back up. It's amazing. Reminds me of the parallel parking gizmo..... I know your a Chubby guy but it still cool.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #17

Portable for me

I have a progressive portable and now am delighted that I do. We got hit this weekend and the unit took the high voltage.

I need to send it back for repair/replacement. Easy because it is portable

Others on the park lost expensive electronics with the surge strike!

We have it secured with a bicycle cable.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
I have a progressive portable and now am delighted that I do. We got hit this weekend and the unit took the high voltage.

I need to send it back for repair/replacement. Easy because it is portable

Others on the park lost expensive electronics with the surge strike!

We have it secured with a bicycle cable.
What happened if you know that caused the high voltage, did a transformer blow or something?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #19

I too have a progressive EMS PT30.I use a small security cable (From a Bike shop) and a padlock thru the locking tab and the campsite power pole.Works great and only have $15.00 invested.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:29 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Great Movie Doc, by the way I was watching NFL live today presented by Ford. Have you seen the new f-150's they have what is called back up assist. It's a knob that you turn to steer your trailer as you back up. It's amazing. Reminds me of the parallel parking gizmo..... I know your a Chubby guy but it still cool.
Never actually seen the movie.. I will need to check the self Park thing.

I have a PI 30 amp portable unit. I used to lock it like ft Knox, now I either run a lock through the pole lid class or just forget about the thing. If they need it that bad, they will get it.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote