Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

switching a outlet

Hi guys I have a 2017 1640ltd and I was wanting to swap a outlet from 110 to run on 12v only. Can I do this? If so any suggestions, Wanting to plug in some general stuff like a light or fan to a 110 outlet but use the battery power.
2oothguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Always Learning

At the simplest:

You need to add an inverter. This typically goes near the battery. Then you run a wire to the outlet (or many people just add a new one).

Well, even simpler:

Add an inverter and run an extension cord directly from it to your appliance.

There are more complex setups, of course, with automatic switches and whatnot.

But the inverter is key.

Be mindful of power usage and your battery power. Running 120v items off of battery can really suck the juice out of a battery.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oothguy View Post
Hi guys I have a 2017 1640ltd and I was wanting to swap a outlet from 110 to run on 12v only. Can I do this? If so any suggestions, Wanting to plug in some general stuff like a light or fan to a 110 outlet but use the battery power.
An Inverter is needed to invert the 12v DC to 120v AC. It all get down to how much money do you want to spend.

Eight years ago in my class C, I used small 100 watt cigarette lighter inverter to power my LED TV. I had two 27F batteries.

Today, I need more power for my CPAP, Laptop charger, Instant Pot, TV, Cell phone chargers, Microwave, etc. I installed a Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/Charger with a built-in transfer switch. I also installed solar to recharge the batteries.

If you what to just power one 110v outlet when you are on 12v, then you need an inverter with a transfer switch. like: Samlex EVO-1212F-HW 1200 Watt 120V Pure Sine Inverter Charger.

I like Samlex because they are made in Taiwan.

If you want to go low budget just install a 12v power outlet and use a small 120 watt cigarette lighter inverter. like: STANLEY PCA120 Power Inverter 120W Car Converter.

Good luck and
to the Forum from Alaska!

The forum is the place to get answers.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
At the simplest:

You need to add an inverter. This typically goes near the battery. Then you run a wire to the outlet (or many people just add a new one).

Well, even simpler:

Add an inverter and run an extension cord directly from it to your appliance.

There are more complex setups, of course, with automatic switches and whatnot.

But the inverter is key.

Be mindful of power usage and your battery power. Running 120v items off of battery can really suck the juice out of a battery.
Cool thanks I have a 400watt inverter now I was thinking of using. I was just thinking the camper I believe has a converter/inverter built in all ready, and I could jump off it some way to that one outlet. I could just run a 12v plug from the battery to where I want and just plug in the inverter there too. I was just wanting to run some led awning lights or be able to plug somthing small into a plug. Nothing with a large draw. New at this camping popup stuff so just trying to figure it out. I'm not even sure what I may need one for, but for some reason it make me feel better. 🤔. Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. My camper is solar ready and I plan on getting it hooked up soon. Thinking maybe 200watt and a extra battery? All we have now to plug in is some led awning lights. The camper has two USB ports that will work off the battery now. I believe it has a inverter /converter built in. Didn't know if I could use it and jump off a wire to that outlet or not. Just learning about this camper stuff. First one for me. We have a wf 8725p converter installed in there now.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Team

While your RV has a converter I'm pretty sure that your Rockwood 1640LTD pup doesn't have an inverter.

In my opinion, your best bet if you want to have an outlet that provides 120 volts powered by the battery(s) is to add an inverter very near the battery(s) and run new wiring and add a receptacle at a convenient accessible location. You'll need to label it as a special receptacle.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
While your RV has a converter I'm pretty sure that your Rockwood 1640LTD pup doesn't have an inverter.
To expand on what Bama Rambler said. There are 2 devices that have similar names but polar opposite functions. It's quite easy to confuse and often happens.

A CONverter is a device that takes 120v power and makes 12v power from it. It also acts as your battery charger.

An INverter is a device that takes 12v power and makes 120v power from it. On expensive ones, they can double as the battery charger but this is either an option for very expensive/large rigs or something that owners upgrade to.

I agree with Bama that you have a CONverter, not an INverter.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Yep, no INverter in his popup. Just a CONverter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
To expand on what Bama Rambler said. There are 2 devices that have similar names but polar opposite functions. It's quite easy to confuse and often happens.

A CONverter is a device that takes 120v power and makes 12v power from it. It also acts as your battery charger.

An INverter is a device that takes 12v power and makes 120v power from it. On expensive ones, they can double as the battery charger but this is either an option for very expensive/large rigs or something that owners upgrade to.

I agree with Bama that you have a CONverter, not an INverter.
Yes you all are correct. It's an converter. I think I'm just going to hook up a 4 way 12v plug with a volt meter and USB outlet. Found a nice one on Amazon. If I need to I can plug th inverter here. I know it' may not be the most efficient but this will give me more options I think. Extra battery and some solar panels I think I'll be ok. Thanks for all the hell and let me know why you think? I'm new in this so help is appreciated. 😁
Cllena Dual USB Socket Charger 2.1A&2.1A + LED Voltmeter + 3-Socket 12V Cigarette Lighter Power Outlet Adapter + ON-Off Toggle Switch Multi-Functions Panel for Car Marine Boat Rv Truck Mobiles (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XF3H8B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MqEFCbRH3XE0Q

Tags
switch