Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

Tail Light Replacement 2018 Coachmen Freelander

Hello, I need some advice on how to replace a faulty tail light assembly on a 2018 Coachmen Freelander. It is an LED fixture with 3 lights. The middle light is the backup and the top and bottom lights are turn signals/tail lights.

On the original fixture there are 8 wires feeding it - 3 white, 3 black and 2 red. On the replacement fixture I bought there are six wires feeding it (white-ground, blue-backup, green-high mode, yellow-high mode, brown-low mode, and black-low mode.

So I need to connect 6 wires on the new fixtures to 8 wires on the Freelander. I assume I need to use a multi meter to track down what is feeding the old fixture on what wire. I need some help in doing that and then figuring out what wires on the Freelander get connected to what wires on the new fixture.

The existing light is Command Electronics and the new lights are Partsam.
DRP47905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:58 AM   #2

Solution Found

Thought I would post the solution in case there is ever someone else with the identical problem. The two Coachmen red wires are for the top and bottom turn signal/brake lights. The 3 white wires are grounds. Two of the Coachmen black wires are for the top and bottom running lights and the third black wire is for the backup light. In order to figure the black wires out I cut them individually while the running lights were on.

To connect the Coachmen wiring to the new Partsam led light do this:

Connect the 3 Coachmen white wires to one Partsam white wire
Connect the 2 Coachmen red wires to the Partsam green and yellow wires
Connect the 2 Coachmen black wires for the running lights to the Partsam brown and black wires
Connect the coachmen remaining black wire for the backup light to the Partsam blue wire

You may want to cut off a portion of the Partsam wiring because if you don't it will be quite a lot of wiring to fit into the recessed opening behind the light.
DRP47905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, light, replacement