Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2022, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
So it turns out that BOTH tail lights had the parking/brake-turn signal lights wired backwards. I popped off both tail lights and the wires were reversed on both. I swapped the wires and hooked the truck up and everything is working right now. It's hard to believe the trailer left the factory like this and that the dealer also missed it during their check of everything. Now I need to order sealant to reseal the tail lights on both sides.
You have to wonder what else 'they' missed.

Might want to check your dump valves.

Would be sorta helpful if your tanks dumped every time you set the parking brake.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
You have to wonder what else 'they' missed.

Might want to check your dump valves.

Would be sorta helpful if your tanks dumped every time you set the parking brake.
LOL thankfully the dump valves are fine. I did, however, find a staple poking up causing a bump in the flooring. I found some other posts about that so I am going to make a small slit in the floor and either pull the staple or hammer it down in and re-glue that spot.
sabbotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You got more guts than me, to tow a 29ft TT with a GMC Canyon![emoji33]
I'd be Leery too. It's only listed to tow up to 7,700 LBS and a 900 max hitch ratting. My guess off the top of my head is he's living on the edge. I'd stay on level ground and never in a cross wind.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
I'd be Leery too. It's only listed to tow up to 7,700 LBS and a 900 max hitch ratting. My guess off the top of my head is he's living on the edge. I'd stay on level ground and never in a cross wind.
Well it tows more than my old Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 liter V8 so at that point from what you are saying I should be towing it with a 2500 HD pickup.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
Well it tows more than my old Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 liter V8 so at that point from what you are saying I should be towing it with a 2500 HD pickup.
For safety's sake I would, in fact a diesel would be perfect if your going to be in the mountains. I like to have some weight on the TV. Our 40 foot 5th wheel Cedar Creek, total rig was just under 25,000 pounds being pulled with a 2011 Chevy diesel. I kind of wished later that I would have bought a 3500 dually but we did fine and had no problems. It handled a 35 MPH side wind perfect. Bumper hitches were all over the road and I refused to pass one. We pulled it to Texas and back 10 times. Total miles was 30,000 plus a few other trips. If you feel fine with it, go with what you have. #1 rule is never listen to a sales person. All they want is a sale.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
For safety's sake I would, in fact a diesel would be perfect if your going to be in the mountains. I like to have some weight on the TV. Our 40 foot 5th wheel Cedar Creek, total rig was just under 25,000 pounds being pulled with a 2011 Chevy diesel. I kind of wished later that I would have bought a 3500 dually but we did fine and had no problems. It handled a 35 MPH side wind perfect. Bumper hitches were all over the road and I refused to pass one. We pulled it to Texas and back 10 times. Total miles was 30,000 plus a few other trips. If you feel fine with it, go with what you have. #1 rule is never listen to a sales person. All they want is a sale.
I don't know if you saw my other reply but my truck is a diesel. I also added heavy duty leaf springs that support 660 pounds each continuous. When I picked up our camper I had a few hour drive home through mountains and highways and it was a windy day and I didn't have any issues. We camp at Raystown lake mostly which is a 9-10 mile trip from home so I won't be going very far. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:16 PM   #27

Yes I saw that it is a diesel. Then you should be good. I would suggest when you upgrade to a 5th wheel and bigger you get nothing less then one of the big 3 diesels when you take off cross country. There're all good. You'll smile and think of me when your going up a steep hill, dropping down one gear and watching a gasser come screaming past you almost wide open and your at 1700 RPM. From an almost 85 year old that has RVed since 1962 and sold everything a year ago in April. Have lot's of fun. I miss it already. We've been all over the US many times and been in 7 Provinces and zero breakdowns. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Tags
light, wiring