Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #1

Tail light wiring issue

We just got our new 2022 Salem Cruise Lute home a few days ago and last night I was connecting the camera to the prewired camera mount and I had the truck hooked up to test it. I realized that the tail lights weren't working right. It seems like the brake lights are on with the parking lights and when I turned on the right turn signal the license plate light flashed. I can't imagine that both tail lights have the parkin/brake lights reversed so I wondered if someone knew if there was a junction box I should look for or would these be wired all up at the tongue?
sabbotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many of the rear cameras are tied into the running lamp circuits to provide power/ground.

Since you were installing a camera, are you sure you didn't connect something incorrectly?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #3

Something else to look for is a bad ground. That will do some crazy stuff.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Many of the rear cameras are tied into the running lamp circuits to provide power/ground.

Since you were installing a camera, are you sure you didn't connect something incorrectly?
The Plug for the camera was already there so I just plugged the camera in. I guess I could disconnect the camera and see if I get the same results. The camera does work fine too.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:

The camera only has power and ground and it came with an adapter plug and it works fine. It wouldn't function if the wires were reversed and I am not sure how that could reverse the parking/brake lights.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
clr

Since you have a new trailer it may be that you also have a new truck or a truck that you have not towed with before. I would first make sure that the truck is putting out the correct voltages at the 7 pin plug. The easiest way to do this is with a 7 pin tester that plugs into the 7 pin corrector. This is a link to what I am talking about https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5015...6611291&sr=8-7 If all is correct there I would then look at the trailer end of the 7 pin trailer connector. The 7 pin cable will hook to the passenger side of the frame rail of the trailer. Many trailers are connected to the wiring of the trailer at this point. The wires of the cord are spliced to the trailer wiring via various methods and this is the point that it may be cross-wired.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Since you have a new trailer it may be that you also have a new truck or a truck that you have not towed with before. I would first make sure that the truck is putting out the correct voltages at the 7 pin plug. The easiest way to do this is with a 7 pin tester that plugs into the 7 pin corrector. This is a link to what I am talking about https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5015...6611291&sr=8-7 If all is correct there I would then look at the trailer end of the 7 pin trailer connector. The 7 pin cable will hook to the passenger side of the frame rail of the trailer. Many trailers are connected to the wiring of the trailer at this point. The wires of the cord are spliced to the trailer wiring via various methods and this is the point that it may be cross-wired.
I actually have a 2016 GMC Canyon and I did tow our old camper with it and also our boat and they both are 7-pin connectors and everything works. I did grab that tester to keep in the truck to test so thanks for the link.

I was hoping to get a location of where everything is tied into so thanks for the info. I assume since my marker lights all work right that they run a separate run of wire for those and the tail lights are on their own harness. (logically that's how I figured it would be) I will check things out tonight after work and see what I can find. Thanks for thee info!
Old 06-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #8
clr

Normally the marker lights and the tail lights are on the same circuit. So if the marker lights are OK I would remove the passenger rear tail light, normally the tail lights all connect to the trailer wiring in that location. The running/tail lights should be on the same circuit as the marker lights, that includes the license plate light. It sounds like in your case the rear running lights are connected to the Right turn wire. Remember the right turn and stop light is on the same circuit. The left turn and stop light is also on its own circuit. I would look and make sure first that I get the turn lights figured out. That may en tale moving the running lights to there proper position.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
I actually have a 2016 GMC Canyon and I did tow our old camper with it and also our boat and they both are 7-pin connectors and everything works.
You got more guts than me, to tow a 29ft TT with a GMC Canyon![emoji33]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You got more guts than me, to tow a 29ft TT with a GMC Canyon![emoji33]
It's a duramax so it tows a lot more than the V6. I also upgraded the leaf springs to Old Man Emu heavy duty springs. It doesn't even squat at all.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Normally the marker lights and the tail lights are on the same circuit. So if the marker lights are OK I would remove the passenger rear tail light, normally the tail lights all connect to the trailer wiring in that location. The running/tail lights should be on the same circuit as the marker lights, that includes the license plate light. It sounds like in your case the rear running lights are connected to the Right turn wire. Remember the right turn and stop light is on the same circuit. The left turn and stop light is also on its own circuit. I would look and make sure first that I get the turn lights figured out. That may en tale moving the running lights to there proper position.
Both tail lights seem to be at max brightness with the parking lights on so I think both of them are wired to the brake lights. Since all of the LEDs are lit on both lights I just think I am not seeing the left signal pulse. I think that's the only reason I am seeing the license plate light blink when the right signal is on. I am waiting for work to end so I can go dig into this.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #12

Another weird cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post
Something else to look for is a bad ground. That will do some crazy stuff.
Really crazy stuff? The light bulbs used for running lights and brake lights are dual filament bulbs; a bright one for brake/turn signals and a dimmer one for running lights. Every once in a blue moon one of the filaments breaks and one end shorts to the other filament. This can cause crazy behavior like the OP describes. Much easier to diagnose and fix. Just find the bad bulb and replace it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:50 PM   #13

So it turns out that BOTH tail lights had the parking/brake-turn signal lights wired backwards. I popped off both tail lights and the wires were reversed on both. I swapped the wires and hooked the truck up and everything is working right now. It's hard to believe the trailer left the factory like this and that the dealer also missed it during their check of everything. Now I need to order sealant to reseal the tail lights on both sides.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Really crazy stuff? The light bulbs used for running lights and brake lights are dual filament bulbs; a bright one for brake/turn signals and a dimmer one for running lights. Every once in a blue moon one of the filaments breaks and one end shorts to the other filament. This can cause crazy behavior like the OP describes. Much easier to diagnose and fix. Just find the bad bulb and replace it.
The TT is 2022 vintage and has LED lighting. Post 11 confirms that they are LEDs. That would put it back to a wiring issue.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
So it turns out that BOTH tail lights had the parking/brake-turn signal lights wired backwards. I popped off both tail lights and the wires were reversed on both. I swapped the wires and hooked the truck up and everything is working right now. It's hard to believe the trailer left the factory like this and that the dealer also missed it during their check of everything. Now I need to order sealant to reseal the tail lights on both sides.
Glad you found it and thanks for following through and letting us know.

R/Vs are built without quality control and most dealers only want your money.
Welcome to the world of R/V ownership.

Lexel sealant (available at most hardware/big box stores) is an excellent sealant for those lights.

Old 07-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Glad you found it and thanks for following through and letting us know.

R/Vs are built without quality control and most dealers only want your money.
Welcome to the world of R/V ownership.

Lexel sealant (available at most hardware/big box stores) is an excellent sealant for those lights.
I actually ordered a tube of Pro Flex RV in clear from Amazon last night. From searching around these forums that seems to be the common one that folks use. Do you recommend Lexel over that?
Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I actually ordered a tube of Pro Flex RV in clear from Amazon last night. From searching around these forums that seems to be the common one that folks use. Do you recommend Lexel over that?
Pretty much the same except (as I mentioned previously) Lexel is often available in hardware stores and Lowe's/ Home Depot if you don't have a R/V or camper place nearby.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Pretty much the same except (as I mentioned previously) Lexel is often available in hardware stores and Lowe's/ Home Depot if you don't have a R/V or camper place nearby.
I see Lexel is available at Ace Hardware in a tube with a cap instead of the 10 oz that loads into a caulking gun. I may just go pick that up tomorrow and save the tube of pro flex for when I need to reseal things. The tube with the cap will probably last longer after being opened.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
It's a duramax so it tows a lot more than the V6.........................

Yours too is a V6, just a diesel, not to be confused with the V8 6.6 Duramax Diesels
Old 07-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Yours too is a V6, just a diesel, not to be confused with the V8 6.6 Duramax Diesels
Mine is not a V6. It's a 4 cylinder diesel. 181hp and 380ft/lbs of torque. I have a tune though so it's pushing a little more power than stock.

Tags
light, wiring