Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Tent trailer furnace and interior lights not working

Hello,
I am not sure what the issue is, we are out camping now and the furnace won’t turn on and the lights inside don’t work. I have changed the fuses, opened up the furnace cover and shut the switch to off for 5 minutes the put it back to reset. The furnace and lights still won’t come on. My fiancé and cousin said when they unhooked the trailer the hookup to the truck:camper sparked. Not sure if that was anything. I don’t have anything with me to test anything. Any ideas?
Cheryl Just Wants To Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

Sounds like a stone dead battery on the camp trailer.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Just Wants To Camp View Post
Hello,
I am not sure what the issue is, we are out camping now and the furnace won’t turn on and the lights inside don’t work. I have changed the fuses, opened up the furnace cover and shut the switch to off for 5 minutes the put it back to reset. The furnace and lights still won’t come on. My fiancé and cousin said when they unhooked the trailer the hookup to the truck:camper sparked. Not sure if that was anything. I don’t have anything with me to test anything. Any ideas?
Sparking often means something got shorted. Could have blown a fuse or circuit breaker on battery main wire to battery. Look for resettable circuit breaker on the wire from positive terminal on battery to power panel.

Also, look in power panel for reverse polarity fuse(s). They're marked. A short could also blow any or all of these fuses.

If everything 12 volt powered is dead, the problem is between battery and fuse panel.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

Look underneath, fr is notorious for laying wires over frame gussets that can run through the insulation and short out
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Sounds like a dead battery. Are you plugged into shore power? If not how long have you been running on battery? If you have trailer brakes, check the breakaway switch to insure it is not pulled. A spark when disconnecting, means a reasonable amount of current was going through the trailer plug. That indicates something in the PUP is using a good amount of current.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #6

Are you camping without a power pedestal?

Lights AND furnace need 12 VDC battery power to work.

That power could be supplied by the power pedestal if there is one.

Go to a hardware store/Walmart and buy a $10 Voltmeter to be able to troubleshoot after checking all the fuses. Without a meter all electrical problems are only guesswork. Watch a youtube vid to learn how to use it.

There may also be a fuse in a 4X4 square box under the trailer tongue/frame. Follow the battery box wire under the trailer. Small black button on the side may need reset.
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

My daughters Wildwood popup has a switch that cuts all battery power unless the sink assembly is folded to the usable position. It is there to keep things from overheating by turning on old style lights when the camper is folded and with the top down.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
My daughters Wildwood popup has a switch that cuts all battery power unless the sink assembly is folded to the usable position.
Well, I never knew Wildwood made popups. Rockwood yes.
What year is your daughter's popup?
Yes, a plunger kill switch is pretty common to all popups. My two popups' plunger switches were pressed down when I flipped the sink cabinet up into place. This allowed 12v power in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #9

You are correct, it is a Rockwood. I just know that it is a small p-up and very easy to pull with her Saturn Vue. She loves it and gets around 21 mpg when pulling at 65 mph.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, light, tent trailer, trailer