Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2024, 10:35 AM   #1

The coffee dilemma

Set up is below with a portable power supply which is 999 Wh. Did out first boondocking trip over the weekend in northern Mi. Temps in the 20's at night with sunny 55 in the day. Batteries were at 100% when we set up at 4:30 pm and 82% at about 8 am. Running tank heating pads, furnace, no lights, instant on hot water heater that entire time.

In the morning I turned on the inverter and made a pot of coffee. Between the inverter and coffee pot, I lost 22% more of my batteries making one pot of coffee.

The coffee pot is rated at 725 watts and running a 2000 watt inverter. The wife bought a percolator for the stove top but I don't want to use that in the summer.

Suggestions for my JAVA fix?
Old 04-08-2024, 10:38 AM   #2

We were using a Coleman stovetop coffee maker which works well but takes a long time with the stove going. Recently switched to a simple pour over and using a teapot to heat the water. Takes much less stove time and makes good coffee.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:43 AM   #3
Defender of America

Switch to instant iced coffee.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:44 AM   #4

If you are willing to use K-Cups we use a Presto MyJo press. Works like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02835-...8aAg0CEALw_wcB
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #5

Any solar?
I’m camped on the south side Lake Superior
Installed two solar panel and they replace the power I use at night the next day

Got 2 panels @ 370w 740w total $350
Plus a 50amp MPPT $85 charge controller
Another $100 for crimps wires etc

Been off grid for 4 days no issues
No inverter using percultator on stove
But will invest in a inverter next
Old 04-08-2024, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post
The coffee pot is rated at 725 watts and running a 2000 watt inverter. The wife bought a percolator for the stove top but I don't want to use that in the summer.

I think you're finding out through personal experience that resistive heat is super-duper power-hungry (and I hope you're turning the coffeemaker off as soon as it's stopped dripping). The inverter isn't helping, and probably gobbling 10% in converting 12v to 120.

If you want a fresh pot of coffee, you're basically limited to (1) an electric maker, (2) a stoptop (or firetop) coffeepot or percolator (think also, portable white gas stove or backpacking stove running on coleman fuel), or (3) a large scale pourover (takes time and hot water - and is basically what a drip maker is all about).

All of the above have their advantages and disadvantages, pretty clear to figure them, too. For what it's worth, we did switch our drop pot from the glass carafe to a thermal carafe - brew a pot and the carafe does the work of keeping the coffee warm (as opposed to the hot plate). Coffee tastes better for longer, too, because it's not being cooked.

For the summer, I might recommend a pre-made jug of cold-brew. You can drink it iced all day long (nice in the summer, esp if you don't have AC). And if it's at room temp, you can nuke a mug up to hot-coffee-standard for way less energy than making a pot of fresh. Plus, it'll be super smooth coffee.

If you don't want to go any of these routes, Starbucks Via instants are almost reasonable, just add a mugful of hot water (instant hot water to the microwave). And, if money is burning a hole in your pocket, there are "instant" portable espresso makers for the camping/backpacking set (but now we're chasing a different animal).

Just my .02. Hope this helps.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerdude View Post
We were using a Coleman stovetop coffee maker which works well but takes a long time with the stove going. Recently switched to a simple pour over and using a teapot to heat the water. Takes much less stove time and makes good coffee.
X2
Tea kettle heats up quick. I use an Aeropress. Be sure to preheat the coffee cup.
One of these days I am going to try the pour over method.

Both are a bit more time consuming than a coffee maker but what else do you have to do? Relax.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Team

I've used a MyJo for K-cups, a Coleman stovetop drip coffee maker and an Aeropress system for French press ground coffee.
Never needed electricity.
There are a number of easy options.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 12:55 PM   #9
D W

You're making too much of the situation. Just use the percolator on the range. That's the quickest way to get you cup of coffee without exhausting your batteries.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You're making too much of the situation. Just use the percolator on the range. That's the quickest way to get you cup of coffee without exhausting your batteries.
^^^^ This.
Or pick up a French Press Coffee Maker. Lots of choices on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=coffee+pr...=nb_sb_noss_1_

Those LiOn batteries seem to be doing their job.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:19 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions
Old 04-09-2024, 08:41 AM   #12

I just start my generator
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:05 AM   #13

percolated coffee tho

Note: I'm not so snobby as to turn my nose up at *perc coffee in camp*, as *perc coffee in camp* is better than ANY other coffee ANYwhere else. Which is why the camp stove + perc coffeepot became a part of my go-to carcamping gear for decades. Nothing quite like getting up earlier than anyone else, firing up the stove and brewing up a pot while the rest of camp is quiet.

...but it's not my preferred method for a nice smooth well balanced cuppa.

Cheers.

15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Set up is below with a portable power supply[/URL] which is 999 Wh. Did out first boondocking trip over the weekend in northern Mi. Temps in the 20's at night with sunny 55 in the day. Batteries were at 100% when we set up at 4:30 pm and 82% at about 8 am. Running tank heating pads, furnace, no lights, instant on hot water heater that entire time.

In the morning I turned on the inverter and made a pot of coffee. Between the inverter and coffee pot, I lost 22% more of my batteries making one pot of coffee.

Either use a Coleman type stove outside or do it inside. A temporary shot of heat in an RV in the morning, even in the Summer, isn't a big deal.

Or, buy a cheap lifepo4 for 150 dollars and connect it to the power station. There are lots of videos depicting how to do it.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:16 AM   #15

Stovetop propane is likely the cheapest & least power usage.
I bought a couple low wattage items a little while back for off grid camping. A single slice 500 watt toaster and a collapsible (silicon top) 600 watt electric water kettle. Frequently, I’ll just have instant oatmeal & toast for camping breakfast and those will cover that. They cover instant or drip coffee, too, or a coffee press.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
percolated coffee tho :sick:

Note: I'm not so snobby as to turn my nose up at perc coffee in camp as percolated coffee in camp is better than ANY other coffee ANYwhere else. Which is why the camp stove + perc coffeepot became a part of my go-to carcamping gear for decades. Nothing quite like getting up earlier than anyone else, firing up the stove and brewing up a pot while the rest of camp is quiet.
We have done the same thing for years with our Coleman camp stove. The smoothness of the perked coffee beats drip and K-cup methods IMO. It takes longer, about 15-20minutes, but in that time I'm preparing breakfast. Once it starts boiling, let it go for 6-7 minutes, and Bob's your uncle.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
percolated coffee tho

Note: I'm not so snobby as to turn my nose up at *perc coffee in camp*, as *perc coffee in camp* is better than ANY other coffee ANYwhere else. Which is why the camp stove + perc coffeepot became a part of my go-to carcamping gear for decades. Nothing quite like getting up earlier than anyone else, firing up the stove and brewing up a pot while the rest of camp is quiet.

Cheers.

LOL thanks, didn't know you could test percolators
Old 04-09-2024, 10:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Set up is below with a portable power supply which is 999 Wh. Did out first boondocking trip over the weekend in northern Mi. Temps in the 20's at night with sunny 55 in the day. Batteries were at 100% when we set up at 4:30 pm and 82% at about 8 am. Running tank heating pads, furnace, no lights, instant on hot water heater that entire time.

Sure. Do you have LP on board? Use the cooktop and a coffee pot. Gas is always a much more efficient heat producer than electricity. As to summertime, the cooktop won't heat the inside enough to notice.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:57 PM   #19
D W

Quote:
percolated coffee tho

Cheers.

Nothing like a stout cup of "Cowboy Coffee" early on cool frosty morning!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:27 PM   #20

How come no one mentioned a campfire?