Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #1

Thinking of installing Inverter

I am thinking of Installing an Inverter to power my A/C outlets when boondocking at night. Probably the 1500watt range I assume. Only looking to power the TV for a few hours, a pedestal Fan, and maybe a laptop charger. Would like to install it near the converter and wire it in the the panel to supply all the outlets so I don't have to run extension cords etc. Starting looking into it and I assume I will have to upgrade my battery cables. Has anyone ran new cable through a late model TT. I have a closed underbelly and cannot see how they are run. 2021 APEX 253RLS. Is it worth the effort or am I opening a can of worms. Inverter looking at is a Progressive Dynamics PD1618. Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
Always Learning

IMO, you want to install the inverter close to the batteries. Voltage drop is more an issue with 12v lines than with 120v lines. Installing it further away requires bigger (and more expensive) battery cables.

I then pulled my distribution panel out and installed a Xantrex Automatic Transfer Switch on just the circuit that the outlets were powered off of. I ran an extension cord through the under belly and up into the bowls of the RV to power the transfer switch.

What's nice about this is that the outlets automatically become hot when I disconnect from shore power (assuming the inverter is on, of course).

I documented it here:
https://learntorv.com/inverter-basics/
Old 08-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #3

Yeah that is why I was wondering how hard it was to run new battery cable. The reason is to put it in the cabinet. Storage is limited and didn't really want to mount it in the front storage compartment. Either way I need 0 to 2 gauge battery cable and I will still need to run Romex to the panel.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #4

That is a nice PD inverter, built in transfer switch, removable panel...but kinda pricey at $450 + for 1000 watts. My go to has been the Xantrex Prowatt line which you can get for $260 or so from Amazon. Need to add a transfer switch (my favorite is the Kisaie, then add the remote switch from Xantrex all of which will set you back about $80 more, or around $340.

Now to run a couple of chargers and a TV, you will never get close to 1000 watts, more like 200 to 300 watts. Keep the inverter close to the batteries and #4 or even #6 would be fine, with a suitable in-line fuse or breaker (maybe 100 amp.) Sure you could hit 1000 watts (88 amps), but with one or two batteries...not for long so there is not much reason to worry about voltage drop at 88 amps...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter