Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #1

Thinking of switching to 6v batteries...........

.........unless you guys talk me out of it!
I just finished reading all 29 pages of the other 6v thread and think that's the way to go.....I think.
Let me first say that I'm a new owner of a 2015 Clipper 17FQ. I've only had it out once so far and had shore power, so no problem there. I'm planning some more rustic camping trips soon and want to be able to heat some water for showers, fridge etc. Just the basics really, except I want to run a CPAP at night too. That, of course means I need to install an inverter(which one?) since my WFCO converter doesn't do that. Will the WFCO charge 2 golf cart batts ok when connected to shore? I just bought the Renogy 100w solar system too. Will that charge those batts ok? Or is all of this just overkill for the couple few times I camp without shore power each year? I appreciate any advice or opinions before I start laying out more cash! (though the tinkerer inside me says to go ahead and do it anyway)
EvnEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Team

I think two 6v golf cart batteries would be a great choice.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvnEm View Post
Just the basics really, except I want to run a CPAP at night too. That, of course means I need to install an inverter(which one?) since my WFCO converter doesn't do that. Will the WFCO charge 2 golf cart batts ok when connected to shore? I just bought the Renogy 100w solar system too. Will that charge those batts ok? Or is all of this just overkill for the couple few times I camp without shore power each year? I appreciate any advice or opinions before I start laying out more cash! (though the tinkerer inside me says to go ahead and do it anyway)
I don't use a CPAP so I'll just say run avoid the inverter, run the CPAP off 12V, and turn the moisturizer off.

The WFCO will charge 2 6 volt batteries just a well as it will a 12V battery. Are there better ways to keep your battery charged? Perhaps, depends on how well your WFCO is working.

Many, including myself, have had problems with WFCOs. But many more have not - and they are installed as standard equipment in many, many RVs. The biggest reported problem is that the WFCO converters will not change charging modes when they should. Mine would not drop down into trickle charge mode even when the 44 hour timer had completed and my batteries were fully charged. Other WFCOs would not go into boost mode, which is faster charging at a higher voltage when your battery is low. The only way to know is to check battery voltages with a voltmeter, and compare against the manuals.

A PD converter (Progressive Dynamics makes highly regarded drop-in replacements for WFCO converters.) will stay in boost mode a while longer than a WFCO, which will speed re-charging when plugged into shore power. PD converters also do equalization once a day when in trickle charge mode, WFCO converters do not. Frankly, I don't attach a lot of value to equalization. Other than that, the specs and charge voltages are the same between WFCO and PD.

The solar is certainly not going to hurt you. A 100W panel may not fully recharge your batteries each day, but it will at replenish a good part of what your CPAP and/or heater fan use.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (with 2 Costco Interstate 6V 232AH golf cart batteries - last at least 4 nights with heater at 5 hours/night)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #4

I agree on the WFCO converter, mine is disconnected as an emergency backup incase my 70 amp Progressive Dynamics fails.

You can get a much faster charge on your batteries by moving the converter within 3 feet of your battery bank and using at least 6 gauge wire to connect the converter to them. I have almost a .5 volt loss form my old converter's location and the battery bank 30 feet forward of the converter. Instead of charging at 14.4 which is bulk charge rate, my batteries where charging at 13.8 volts which is a very slow trick charge absorption voltage and is why my generator used to take 8 hours just to get my batteries back to 90%.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #5

While two 6 volt batteries have advantages over 12 v units, I would add a new 12 volt and wait for both of the batteries to age out and then switch to 6 volt. That is my problem as I have 4 12 volt units and would switch but it isn't worth dropping the factory batteries until they die. You can get some really small inverters that will handle the CPAP (turn the humidifier off!) and also have a little power for charging phones and laptops and maybe a TV once in a while.

Agree that the 100 watts of solar won't let you go crazy when boondocking but it will put a little power back in the tank if you have good sun. As far as the WFCO is concerned, watch it (get a voltmeter) but if "it ain't broke...don't fix it!"

See how it goes before doing much beyond that.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
TGR

Many CPAP machines use 24 volts and won’t run directly from the RV’s battery. However, as ScottBrownstein wrote, you don’t have to buy a large inverter to run the CPAP from 120 volts AC. A small ~150 watt inverter will run your CPAP just fine.

I also like ScottBrownstein’s idea of adding a 12 volt battery in parallel with your current one and running that way until you need to replace them. Purchasing only one new battery adds more reserve power and gets the value out of your current 12-volt battery.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

Two 6 volt batteries are the way to go. 6 volt batters have larger plates and this allows them to work better than one or even two 12 volt batteries.
If you invest in a solar panel say 165 watts you will have no issues with keeping them charged and in good shape.

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Thanks for your input, guys. Although I see your point of adding another 12v for now, I think I'm going to put the 6vs in, mostly just because I feel like doing that. Also, I have a buddy who will probably take my current 12v off my hands for a spare trolling motor battery.
The WFCO converter is working fine so I won't mess with that right now.
I have the 100w Renogy solar panel already and can add on to that if needed.
As for the CPAP, I found a 24v power supply, from the cpap manufacturer, that plugs into a lighter socket that will likely draw even less current than a small inverter. I just need to install the socket.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #9

Several years ago we changed our 2 12v deep cycle batteries for 2 6v Trojan golf cart batteries and we couldn't believe the difference. The 2 6v golf cart batteries is almost like having shore power. BUT...my WFCO was unable to charge the Trojans in a reasonable time using my Yamaha 2000 watt generator. I removed the WFCO and replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics converter and we're happy with it. I can get a complete charge with just running the generator a few hours. I'll never go back to having 12v batteries again.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #10

Good to hear the 6vs work so well. I'll keep an eye on the WFCO and swap it if I have to. I ordered my dual battery box on ebay today and will be getting the batteries later this week.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvnEm View Post
.........unless you guys talk me out of it!
I just finished reading all 29 pages of the other 6v thread and think that's the way to go.....I think.
Let me first say that I'm a new owner of a 2015 Clipper 17FQ. I've only had it out once so far and had shore power, so no problem there. I'm planning some more rustic camping trips soon and want to be able to heat some water for showers, fridge etc. Just the basics really, except I want to run a CPAP at night too. That, of course means I need to install an inverter(which one?) since my WFCO converter doesn't do that. Will the WFCO charge 2 golf cart batts ok when connected to shore? I just bought the Renogy 100w solar system too. Will that charge those batts ok? Or is all of this just overkill for the couple few times I camp without shore power each year? I appreciate any advice or opinions before I start laying out more cash! (though the tinkerer inside me says to go ahead and do it anyway)
First. Six v batteries. Probably the most storage you can get on the standard rails. Recently did ours on brand new 2017 Sandstorm 250 SLC and had to trim the handles off both boxes to get them to fit. Easy job.

Is the 100 going on the roof, or on a long wire?
Flat on the roof will produce barely more than half as much output as pointed perpendicular to the Sun and moved every hour . We opt for 200 on roof. Less trouble and nearly theft proof.

One panel may not keep up with the CPAP if you need the humidifier/heater. Forget the inverter if you can get the 12v power cord that I have gotten for two different machines you avoid the efficiency loss of both inverter and power pack.

I only run our 2000 watt pure sine inverter when it is needed. It's no load current draw is 1.5 to 2 amps. Or about like two incandescent 12 v bulbs.

Last thought ,,, be sure you are only running LED BULBS.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY YOUR NEW TT.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
First. Six v batteries. Probably the most storage you can get on the standard rails. Recently did ours on brand new 2017 Sandstorm 250 SLC and had to trim the handles off both boxes to get them to fit. Easy job.

Is the 100 going on the roof, or on a long wire?
Flat on the roof will produce barely more than half as much output as pointed perpendicular to the Sun and moved every hour . We opt for 200 on roof. Less trouble and nearly theft proof.

One panel may not keep up with the CPAP if you need the humidifier/heater. Forget the inverter if you can get the 12v power cord that I have gotten for two different machines you avoid the efficiency loss of both inverter and power pack.

I only run our 2000 watt pure sine inverter when it is needed. It's no load current draw is 1.5 to 2 amps. Or about like two incandescent 12 v bulbs.

Last thought ,,, be sure you are only running LED BULBS.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY YOUR NEW TT.
I bought the Renogy 100w suitcase kit with the controller attached, so for now I think I'm committed to keeping it on the ground. However, if I find I need more power I can add another panel to the system and maybe mount that on the roof for convenience.
I'm going to skip the inverter for now. I've ordered the cpap power supply already and I don't need 110 for anything else right now. I don't have a tv. Lights are all LED.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

I made the switch also. A pair of 6 volts have a smaller foot print and more amp/ hrs than two 12 v. My battery rack would not handle two 12 v very well which prompted me to inquire about 6 v. I just came back from a 2 week boondocking trip in Utah. 235 amp hrs was really nice. We ran the heater every night as the temps were low 30's. (Used 30 lbs of Butane on the trip which surprised me). If you already read this long thread you may have seen the link to the video I made of my conversion. It's worked out really well. The century plastics battery boxes are inexpensive and really durable.

https://youtu.be/foLGtyt9Rsg
Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I made the switch also. A pair of 6 volts have a smaller foot print and more amp/ hrs than two 12 v. My battery rack would not handle two 12 v very well which prompted me to inquire about 6 v. I just came back from a 2 week boondocking trip in Utah. 235 amp hrs was really nice. We ran the heater every night as the temps were low 30's. (Used 30 lbs of Butane on the trip which surprised me). If you already read this long thread you may have seen the link to the video I made of my conversion. It's worked out really well. The century plastics battery boxes are inexpensive and really durable.

https://youtu.be/foLGtyt9Rsg
Yup! Read the whole thread. Watched your video and pretty much decided to go for it then. Good to see it's working out well for you.
The box is on it's way and I'm getting the batteries on Thursday. I couldn't find Trojan t105s so I'm getting the Duracell 230AHs from Batteries Plus. I'm going to have to relocate my propane regulator though. It's mounted on the diamond plate front and is in the way of the new box. I don't believe it'll be a problem.

Tags
battery