Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2024, 05:33 PM   #1

Timberwolf 16 ML

I am purchasing a Timberwolf 16 ML does anybody know how much power consumption it uses? Iím trying to set up a 48 V battery and solar system if anybody has one on the Timberwolf 16 ML, I need to get a all-in-one power inverter. I donít know which one to get. can you share the information? Thanks for your help.
Mermaid007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Team

This Timberwolf is a brand new trailer line from Cherokee and as far as I know, you are the first member here to own one.
So I doubt that anyone here can give you model-specific information.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:33 PM   #3

A 48 volt system is a bit over the top for a camper. Why?
The engineer in me always asks first “ What problem are you trying to solve”.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:36 PM   #4

Thinner cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
A 48 volt system is a bit over the top for a camper. Why?
The engineer in me always asks first ď What problem are you trying to solveĒ.
Thinner cables, less power loss in the cables, enabling greater distance between batteries and inverter.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Thinner cables, less power loss in the cables, enabling greater distance between batteries and inverter.
But what is it you intend to do?
Run AC all day?
Occasionally?
48volt limits your choices a lot more for inverters/ buck converters than 24. Do you have the real estate on the roof to support running ac all day, and still leave you enough energy to get through the night, and possibly the next cloudy day? Do you plan to tow the trailer, or is it destination, where you can have a solar shed?
Old 04-20-2024, 02:42 PM   #6

Iím from Lahaina Maui and I lost my home. I purchased the Timberwolf 16 ML Iím gonna live in it. Itís gonna have to be off the grid because itís no power so I havenít received it and I was trying to plan ahead and also try to understand the best possible approach for battery, power solar, so Iím gonna get a 48 V hundred amp battery. Iím trying to figure out the all in one inverter charger and how many 200 W panels I need now it comes with a TV which Iíd like to use a refrigerator which needs to be on 24 seven to be able to use the microwave from time to time , and maybe the air conditioner too. It comes with a fireplace which I will not use and it comes with a washer and dryer which I will not use a dishwasher which I will not use an icemaker. Maybe I donít know how many LED lights and all the other power consumption needed , itís a propane stove I believe and also propane hot water on demand so Iím trying to figure out the power consumption and the company is not being too helpful in giving me that information and itís a 50 amp plug it says 120/240 and I wanna make sure I get the right power inverter and I guess Iím one of the few people that have purchased a Timberwolf 16 ML I donít have too much friends communicate to communicate with so my puzzle is whatís a nice power solar inverter all in one
Old 04-20-2024, 03:00 PM   #7

Need to know what type of fridge. This will likely be your biggest power user.

You will get good help here. However not many of us no anything about your rv. Also typical cloud coverage where you live. Sunny California desert or the sun never shine in Michigan when you want it.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:37 PM   #8

So sorry for your loss, I canít imagine what you are going through. We love the place and spent a week at the Pioneer Inn.
It sounds like you are straddling the line between RV power and full off grid residential living. From what I can gather searching the web, it seems you will have a single 15k ac unit, and a 12 volt fridge. You are in a great spot for solar obviously, and that is a big plus. I think it may be a 30 amp trailer since it says just one ac unit.
I would suggest checking out the DIYsolarforum.com for some ideas for a setup. I would lean towards a ďsolarshedĒ, keeping everything in that and reducing the need to install inverters and controllers in the rv. It may be nice in that you can set up a plug and play 30 amp power post. The 12 volt fridge might be nice to swap out with a conventional 120 volt residential one, you will gain some efficiency in that you will not have to convert 48 volt to 120 to 12. The nice thing is you do have plenty of sun, so inefficiency wonít be as painful if you keep everything as is.
If you are willing to keep a generator handy, it will decrease the need for more storage in that 48 volt battery, what is the longest that area goes with overcast skies?
Can you set a pedestal with multiple panels on it? Or, do the panels have to be on the roof of the camper? Back of the napkin math with good sun, I would say at least 3000 watts of panels.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:47 PM   #9

Thank you for helping the refrigerator that I have is an ever chill model SRM – 4186B – C it says it use 480 KWH yearly. I believe it’s 120 V and I think it might have an inverter that reduces the power to 12 volts I’m guessing I try to get information on the fridge. It was very challenging. I’m also limited on money so swapping out for another right now is not in my budget… my plug outside is a 50 amp.120/240 i’m going to try to send a picture of it the plug but I’m learning how to navigate on this forum since I’m new and I don’t know how
Old 04-20-2024, 09:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid007 View Post
Thank you for helping the refrigerator that I have is an ever chill model SRM Ė 4186B Ė C it says it use 480 KWH yearly. I believe itís 120 V and I think it might have an inverter that reduces the power to 12 volts Iím guessing I try to get information on the fridge. It was very challenging. Iím also limited on money so swapping out for another right now is not in my budgetÖ my plug outside is a 50 amp.120/240 iím going to try to send a picture of it the plug but Iím learning how to navigate on this forum since Iím new and I donít know how
Hereís our recommendation: open your recently received Welcome PM and click the link to Forums 101. Site software automatically sends it to all new members. It explains how to perform most forum functions including instructions on posting pics in post #7 in that Forums 101 thread.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78/'24 = 41; Booked for 2024 = 55
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:41 PM   #11

It is 50 amp, then it is a 14-50 plug.
I still like the solar shed idea, it really does not have to be big, it would contain your 240v inverter, and 48 volt battery, and solar charge controller. Mount a 14-50 plug on the side. As many panels as you can afford on racks outside in the sun.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:02 PM   #12

That is a beautiful destination trailer. Are you going to be permanently on that piece of land?

Figuring out how much electricity you're going to use will be difficult because everyone's usage is different. The refrigerator and overhead lights will run off the battery and the igniter for the tankless water heater and perhaps the stove. (A LiPo4 lithium ion phosphate battery would be a good investment because they can be completely discharged and recharged without killing the battery.) Many things in that rig don't operate of the battery. If you had 'shore power', it wouldn't be a problem, but that's not an option for you.

You said that money is tight. Have you considered getting a dual fuel propane generator with and rv plug to run the rig til you get settled?

Once you're settled in, you could have a local solar company come out, assess your solar requirements and tell you the best way to position the panels and how many batteries you'd need to power your home.