Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Towing lights plugs, no power

I am stumped. I have a 2015 Georgetown 270S motorhome on a Ford f53 chassis. Last year the trailer tow lights quit working. I have a 7 pin and 4 pin plug. Everything is dead. I have check all connections and added dielectric grease. I have traced all wiring to the front of the rv, loosened cleaned and replaced ground wire screws. I have check all fuses under hood, under dash and at the battery (coach power). The trailer and toad tow lights work when plugged into another vehicle.

It is like the whole tow package is diconnected. Anyone have ideas what else to check or recheck? All motorhome lights work.
MTfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a wiring diagram from the Ford upfitter site?

Here's a list of the circuits for that model year. The columns don't line up but they are;
Circuit, Circuit #, Gauge, Color, Location, Fuse Location, Fuse Size,
• Trailer Backup Lamp, 963, 16, Black-Lt. Green, Top Side of Dash Panel (Part of 14A318) and Rear of Vehicle (Part of 14408), F/P #34, 10A
• Trailer Ground, 206, 10, White, Rear of Vehicle (Part of 14408) — —
• Trailer LH Turn/Stop Lamp, 52, 16, Yellow, Rear of Vehicle (Part of 14408), F/P, #22, 20A
• Trailer RH Turn/Stop Lamp, 64, 16, Dark Green, Rear of Vehicle (Part of 14408), F/P, #22, 20A
• Trailer Running/Park Lamps, 962, 16, Brown-White, Rear of Vehicle (Part of 14408), PDB, #15, 20A

F/P = Fuse Panel (located in dunnage box) & PDB = Power Distribution Box (located in engine compartment).

At what point are you losing power along the circuit? Have you tested for power at the fuses in the fuse boxes?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #3

No Trailer Lights on almost new Flagstaff E Pro 19FD

Same problem....I used a testing plug to see if truck female plug in ok....tester lighted up. Checked fuses on truck, in the electrical box in trailer....all ok. Could not see online if any trailer systems have inline fuse...could not find one. But....I remember did not have by brake controller plugged in. Could that cause an incomplete circuit....and effect the entire trailer light system if controller not hooked up???

I have a Tekonsha controller.
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #4

Thanks for all the inputs. The brake controller is plugged in and seems to be working normally. I have a circuit tester and the list all fuses. I will start tracing the wiring and check the controller while im at it.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

I am sure that you have checked but the coach running and turn lights and the trailer running and turn lights are often on different fuses.

Good Luck !!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #6

Problem solved! I started at the fuse panels working my way back. I have to give a big thank you to Ford! Im usually a fan but they dropped the ball here. I started noticing the wrong amp fuses were in the numbered slots in the under dash fuse panel according to the owners manual list. The main trailer lights fuse is 20 amp. But the slot for trailer had a 5 amp fuse. I checked all 20 amp fuses and found the one marked as wipers was blown. windshield wipers work fine. Changed, now all is good. Marked location in my book. When baffled check all fuses. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Something doesn't sound right. The 2015 F53 Motorhome Chassis owners manual shows fuse #17, Trailer Tow run to be a 20amp fuse. Wiper module battery (+12V) is the only wipers fuse and it's 30amp. Are you sure you have the right owners manual or is your fuse panel not for the 2015 F53 Motorhome Chassis. Just a thought.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply. I bought the rv new and the book came with it. The fuse panel has numbers on it. I double checked to be sure i was reading them correctly. But its pretty straight forward. But yes something is not matching up.

Tags
light, power, towing