Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Tracing my wiring harness

1983 15ft Aljo Aly TT with a metal underbelly. Need to remove underbelly to trace/replace 12v harness for lights but no luck finding help on internet for this project. Floor is in excellent shape so don't want to pull that up. Was hoping to just pull new wiring harness through but side marker wiring prevents that. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
porchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Isn't your underbelly screwed in holding it up? It might take 2 people to drop it, I wouldn't pull the floor up. Even if you had to use electric shears to cut it off, It wouldn't be bad to leave a 2" edge around and then drive screw a new piece to the edges that you left after cutting if worst came to worst. You could also cut a 12x12 whole at each side marker and cut the wire at the light then pull your new wire and retie in your markers to the new wire.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply

The metal underbelly is above my frame and the stringers going across but i haven't located screws yet though there must be some on the ends and sides. When I press up on the metal it feels like it may be attached to a plywood subfloor because there is no flex in it. Good idea on the cut-outs and leaving an edge to work with for replacement! Prev owner cut small hole midway back (RH side) and tied into harness, running one underneath the trailer diagonally towards the left rear for an additional pigtail (has a ball attached to rear bumper) I think. He terminated these wires into the side of the plastic waste tank with ring terminals which confused me for quite awhile. Just looking for a clean replacement of current harness as I will be also replacing taillights and markers with LED lights. Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchhound View Post
The metal underbelly is above my frame and the stringers going across but i haven't located screws yet though there must be some on the ends and sides. When I press up on the metal it feels like it may be attached to a plywood subfloor because there is no flex in it. Good idea on the cut-outs and leaving an edge to work with for replacement! Prev owner cut small hole midway back (RH side) and tied into harness, running one underneath the trailer diagonally towards the left rear for an additional pigtail (has a ball attached to rear bumper) I think. He terminated these wires into the side of the plastic waste tank with ring terminals which confused me for quite awhile. Just looking for a clean replacement of current harness as I will be also replacing taillights and markers with LED lights. Thanks again!
My Father-in-law has a 18' aljo, either you must have a channel that they run through or even your frame rails. You can always just leave the old in and run new along the edge in conduit. If you run new and have to go through the cross brace I would drill in the top 1/4 only, so you won't get a weak spot. They don't build trailers like that anymore, now a days these new ones are just thrown together. Good luck on your project.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

im guessing you want to run new 12v torear lights (stop and turn) I would run conduit along the frame with a junction box in the middle for the marker lights or try fishing new wire inside the underbody good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
im guessing you want to run new 12v torear lights (stop and turn) I would run conduit along the frame with a junction box in the middle for the marker lights or try fishing new wire inside the underbody good luck
That is the whole point of this project Bill and I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill by trying to open her up on the belly. I just have to figure how to get the marker light wiring to my new run. The current connection points to the main harness are hidden.

Tags
wiring