Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Trailer Hook up

Hello all,
I received a 1999 Flagstaff 176ST MAC pop up camper as a gift, but can not figure out how to power it to the hitch. Every trailer I have ever used has always been hard wired, but this one seems to have a "plug in" type harness. I do not have the harness though. Any help on how to get this so I can tow it?
Skid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea what you are referring to. Could you post some pictures, of both your trailer plug and tow vehicle plug ??

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

That's just it, there is no trailer plug. As far as the tow vehicle plug, the hitch will be installed this Friday and it will be a standard 7 point. I just have nothing to plug into it.
I also have no idea on how to post photos here. Every forum is different on how it will allow photos to be displayed.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #4

Your trailer probably has only a flat connector that power the light only. The 176 if only a 8 foot box does not have the brakes on it. My 176 ltd was like that because there was no brake on it. If you have a big round connector on your truck you can buy a connector that will connect your connector to a flat connector at any auto dept stores. The 176 can be equiped with brakes but it is an option!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Thanks capucine! There is a cover to a slot that has 5 holes in it, but want't 100% sure what that was for. Every trailer I have ever had has been hardwired into the trailer and not a dual plug type.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

I'd get the shop where you're getting the hitch installed to install a 5-way trailer plug in parallel with the 7-pin. They may also have a connector that has both the 5-pin and 7-pin in one assembly (like the Ford OEM one). This way you'll have both, and have options once you figure out how to wire this trailer, and any other trailer you might tow later. I much prefer to have the correct connector on the TV available, and not have to worry about adapters.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote