Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #1

Transfer Switch Question

Newbie owner of Rockwood Ultra Lite 2606WS travel trailer. I'm going to install a hardwired Progressive Industries 50amp EMS. I want to install it upstream of the transfer switch per PI's recommendation. However, I can't find a transfer switch in my trailer. I called the dealer and he said there isn't one- just plug a generator in with the shore power cord and it handles it. Is that possible that transfer switch is not needed? Or is there one hiding somewhere?
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #2

If you have a built in generator then you have a transfer switch. No built in generator then no transfer switch.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

I see, so I am basically the transfer switch when I plug in the genny. Thank you!
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

You may still wish to install a transfer switch if you dry camp and use and inverter. Its a very simple installation and can help prevent issues for a relatively low cost. If you don't use an inverter and are only choosing between generator and hookups, no reason to install one...
Mark_Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #5

You're welcome!

Yes, you are the transfer switch.

Happy Camp'n!

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrec27 View Post
I see, so I am basically the transfer switch when I plug in the genny. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrec27 View Post
Newbie owner of Rockwood Ultra Lite 2606WS travel trailer. I'm going to install a hardwired Progressive Industries 50amp EMS. I want to install it upstream of the transfer switch per PI's recommendation. However, I can't find a transfer switch in my trailer. I called the dealer and he said there isn't one- just plug a generator in with the shore power cord and it handles it. Is that possible that transfer switch is not needed? Or is there one hiding somewhere?
Your dealer is correct . not all built in Gennys have a transfer switch but will have a outlet in the power cord storage that you plug into when using the genny . in these cases no need for a transfer switch
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch