Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would arrange a return/exchange depending on their return policy. I would think the generator will require at least a new 'brain' board. I would rather have a new one myself. But, you are probably correct in that they might require a tech to say, "yeah, it's bad".

Look into installing some 12v USB ports in your 12v wiring system. Lots of articles and threads on how to do this. One of the better mods we have done. Now we can charge devices at any time.

Good luck with the generator.
A call to Champion is the first step. Often they will help diagnose the problem and depending on their assessment of the owner's skills and willingness to repair, they'll send them the necessary parts.

As for return/exchange, since it's a gasoline powered device it will need to be taken to an authorized repair station. Anywhere they are stocked and sold in retail establishments there is usually a sign warning of this.

As for adding USB charge ports, a good idea but instead of doing that in my trailer I just bought the largest "Power Bank" type battery I could find on Amazon. About the size of two thin smart phones stacked on top of each other and holds enough power to charge my Samsung Note 8 10 times from near dead. Best part of that is that I can charge the "Power Bank" in just a couple hours of drive time from my tow vehicle while driving using the USB charge adapter in my 12 V power outlet and when using it to charge my phone or hat mounted LED flashlight, I can put it anywhere. Charges two devices at a time and I don't have long USB cables hanging. I just toss the items in a cupboard or drawer while charging. I think the battery cost me in the realm of $30. Amazon always has a "deal" on them.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #22

Have your genset and /or inverter checked. You are getting dirty electric. Modern electronic devices are very fussy.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #23

I have charged ion my RV from a Honda 2000 paralleled and no issues.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #24

Have to have an inverter generator. Some electronics just don't play well unless a clean electrical source is present. Inverters give you that. Some laptops might be damaged.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #25

New development over night. My lp gas detector keeps beeping indicating that there is a low voltage detection. I have ran the generator Friday night, Saturday in the morning and Saturday night to run the AC for my girlfriend and to keep the battery charged. Could a bad generator kill a battery? I bought a new deep cycle battery just this year. Also the refrigerator and hot water heater is not working.
hogie7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A call to Champion is the first step. Often they will help diagnose the problem and depending on their assessment of the owner's skills and willingness to repair, they'll send them the necessary parts.

As for return/exchange, since it's a gasoline powered device it will need to be taken to an authorized repair station. Anywhere they are stocked and sold in retail establishments there is usually a sign warning of this.

As for adding USB charge ports, a good idea but instead of doing that in my trailer I just bought the largest "Power Bank" type battery I could find on Amazon. About the size of two thin smart phones stacked on top of each other and holds enough power to charge my Samsung Note 8 10 times from near dead. Best part of that is that I can charge the "Power Bank" in just a couple hours of drive time from my tow vehicle while driving using the USB charge adapter in my 12 V power outlet and when using it to charge my phone or hat mounted LED flashlight, I can put it anywhere. Charges two devices at a time and I don't have long USB cables hanging. I just toss the items in a cupboard or drawer while charging. I think the battery cost me in the realm of $30. Amazon always has a "deal" on them.
As soon as I get home I will be calling champion .I love the battery bank idea. I did run to Walmart and pick up a 10000 miliamp hour pack and charger in my truck for the meantime.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Have to have an inverter generator. Some electronics just don't play well unless a clean electrical source is present. Inverters give you that. Some laptops might be damaged.
Mine is an invertor generator.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie7171 View Post
New development over night. My lp gas detector keeps beeping indicating that there is a low voltage detection. I have ran the generator Friday night, Saturday in the morning and Saturday night to run the AC for my girlfriend and to keep the battery charged. Could a bad generator kill a battery? I bought a new deep cycle battery just this year. Also the refrigerator and hot water heater is not working.
Need more information. Have you checked the voltage of the battery? Is the fridge and WH on gas or electric? Is your 12 volt lighting working?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #29

I have nothing to check the battery with. I am running both the fridge and Water heater on propane. The 12v fans and lights are working , but when on the low voltage light is on. With everything off is show it as operating
Old 08-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #30

Fisrt picture is with everything off. The picture showing the fault is with both the fan and light on. I should as note that I had to turn off the water pump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180819_082134.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	183688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180819_082208.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	183689  
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #31
World Wide Wanderer

Sounds like the converter is not getting 12 volt power to the battery and the battery is low on voltage. Do you have a battery switch? May need to run a diagnostics check on the converter to make sure you are getting proper output to the battery.

I know you don't have a multi-meter with you, unfortunately that is about the only way to check properly. I never leave home without mine.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #32

Quote:
New development over night. My lp gas detector keeps beeping indicating that there is a low voltage detection. Also the refrigerator and hot water heater is not working.
All your symptoms point to a low battery. It doesn't take long to drain the battery on an RV.
If you've got your rig plugged into the generator, that will slowly charge the battery. However, it may not be enough to charge a low battery.

Regarding charging cell phones.... It doesn't take much to charge a phone. Whether we're off grid or on, I prefer a small solar battery charger that can also be charged via USB like this for our cell phones and Kindles: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's worked for me and it's small enough to clip to a backpack in case you're hiking and find yourself needing a cell phone and you forgot to charge your phone. (Just make certain you take a USB cord.)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #33

99% sure I have diagnosed the problem. As most has expected it appears it is a defective generator and not a problem with the camper itself. I was able to borrow a neighbors generator and all cell phones are changing normally. The low voltage indicator is off and both fridge and water heater are back to working. So I am guessing the generator did not charge the battery properly and that's why it died over night .

Thank you everyone for your input and help
Old 08-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
All your symptoms point to a low battery. It doesn't take long to drain the battery on an RV.
If you've got your rig plugged into the generator, that will slowly charge the battery. However, it may not be enough to charge a low battery.

Regarding charging cell phones.... It doesn't take much to charge a phone. Whether we're off grid or on, I prefer a small solar battery charger that can also be charged via USB like this for our cell phones and Kindles: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's worked for me and it's small enough to clip to a backpack in case you're hiking and find yourself needing a cell phone and you forgot to charge your phone. (Just make certain you take a USB cord.)
I like the idea of using solar. I will definitely check that option out
Old 08-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Sounds like the converter is not getting 12 volt power to the battery and the battery is low on voltage. Do you have a battery switch? May need to run a diagnostics check on the converter to make sure you are getting proper output to the battery.

I know you don't have a multi-meter with you, unfortunately that is about the only way to check properly. I never leave home without mine.

Aaron
I hate to sound dumb but I don't know know if I have a battery switch. I have never seen one. And unfortunately I have no idea how to test the converter or where it is.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #36

Quote:
I hate to sound dumb but I don't know know if I have a battery. I have never seen one. And unfortunately I have no idea how to test the converter or where it is.
You've got a battery.
What kind of rv do you have?
On a towable trailer, it's usually in a battery box behind the propane tanks.
In a motorhome, it could be under the steps or in a separate compartment.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You've got a battery.
What kind of rv do you have?
On a towable trailer, it's usually in a battery box behind the propane tanks.
In a motorhome, it could be under the steps or in a separate compartment.
Lol opps that should of said I don't know if it has a battery switch. I k ow it has a battery and where it is
Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
I hate to sound dumb but I don't know know if I have a battery switch. I have never seen one. And unfortunately I have no idea how to test the converter or where it is.
A multimeter is a MUST for all RV owners.
At least get a free one from Harbor Freight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #39

What?

Quote:
I am not sure , I am at the campground now and have no tester. I will check when I get home
What? You don't take your oscilloscope with you when you go camping?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Lol opps that should of said I don't know if it has a battery switch. I k ow it has a battery and where it is
You might have a battery switch. It kinda depends on your rig. Most towables don't have one where a MH or 5th wheel do.

It's a little hard without knowing a bit more.

Tags
charging, generator