Old 07-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #1

Trouble Shooting Converter

This is going to show my total lack of understanding related to converters but I gotta know.... I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with my power converter, it seems the batteries charge while I tow the unit but will not charge when I am plugged into an electrical source.

I saw someone check their converter by first disconnecting the battery, then checking AC voltage and from there checking DC voltage and getting a reading of almost 0 on the DC side.

Using a multi-meter I checked the AC voltage on the panel which appears to be good. On the DC side, I had a reading of 0.02. Now here is where I get confused.... Wouldn't that DC reading be accurate if the battery has been disconnected??
Flyfisher410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher410 View Post
Using a multi-meter I checked the AC voltage on the panel which appears to be good. On the DC side, I had a reading of 0.02. Now here is where I get confused.... Wouldn't that DC reading be accurate if the battery has been disconnected??
When you disconnect the battery, and plug into shore power, do you have working lights? If yes, the converter is likely working and you have blown fuse/circuit breaker in the wire to the battery.

You should be reading converter output voltage of anywhere from 13.2 to 14.4 (maybe higher), regardless of the battery connected or not. There is a circuit breaker in the AC line going into the converter, make sure that breaker is not tripped. There will also be a main fuse, often called a reverse polarity fuse, in the DC section, probably either 30 or 40 amp fuse. Make sure that fuse is not blown. You can also remove the main (reverse polarity) fuse and check voltage at the socket where the fuse plugs in. Red (+) probe on the meter goes into one side of the fuse socket, the black (-) probe goes against a known good ground location. Check both sides of the fuse socket, one should have the converter output voltage on it.

Under the trailer mounted on the frame somewhere you will also likely find a circuit breaker in the wires going to the battery:

On one side will be a little push button reset. Push the button in to reset it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #3

Much simpler test. Turn off the breaker for the converter, unplug it or disconnect shore power. Measure the DC voltage at the battery. You should get something like 12.4 to 12.6.

Repower the converter and measure the battery voltage again. It should higher than before, something like 13.2 to 13.6 if the converter is working.

If it isn't, make sure that the converter is getting 120 volts ac. Then check the two or three fuses on the converter and make sure they are good. Finally, measure the voltage on the output of the converter. If it is not 13.2 or higher...the converter is bad!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #4

When I am plugged into shore power I have lights for a period of time then they dim and battery panel shows low charge. I checked both 40 amp fuses and both were good. All other fuses appear to be good as well. I also found the circuit breakers on the frame and it appeared to be functioning. I also checked the wiring from the battery along the frame and past the circuit breaker and there was power in the line. All the breakers on the AC side are working normally, none have tripped.

At this point I'm going to assume the converter is not charging my batteries and am going to replace it.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

what year model camper is this? and what kind of convert does it have. some of them Prograssive dymanics) have fuses on the converter to protect the output.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

WFCO 8955. No fuses on the unit itself. Camper is a 2017 Rockwood 2606ws. Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #7

I don't have test documents for that device, but if its getting 120V AC going in, but has no output, sounds like someone let the smoke out to me (IE burnt up). maybe physically looking at it might yield something burnt, but on any Progressive Dynamics I had fail they showed no damage.

If I had that converter and needed to fix it, I would go with this.
Replacement Lower Converter Assembly for WFCO 8955. Plus this new one is 4 stage charger where your old one was 2, maybe 3 stage.
I bought one of the boondocker converters to replace a Progressive Dynamics.

search youtube for replace wfco 8900 and you will see if you can handle the job.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher410 View Post
When I am plugged into shore power I have lights for a period of time then they dim and battery panel shows low charge. I checked both 40 amp fuses and both were good. All other fuses appear to be good as well. I also found the circuit breakers on the frame and it appeared to be functioning. I also checked the wiring from the battery along the frame and past the circuit breaker and there was power in the line. All the breakers on the AC side are working normally, none have tripped.

At this point I'm going to assume the converter is not charging my batteries and am going to replace it.

sounds like the converter is not putting out 12v. Best check is what Scottbrownstein explained. You DO have a volt meter don't you? Or look at your battery status monitor, it should show "red" when not connected, then "charging" when plugged in. THEN check with meter to be certain 120 is going into converter and 12v is coming out.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #9

Same on mine as mentioned above by NavyLCDR. On my rockwood there is a terminal underneath the driver side and a 30 amp fuse. Not sure exactly how that's wired but it would be worth crawling underneath and checking to make sure all that is in tack. If you follow the red battery wire from the battery, it's just a few feet under the trailer.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #10

Checked everything with a multi-meter and also the breaker on the trailer frame, 120 volts going into the converter and nothing coming out on DC side. I have a replacement ordered and will replace as soon as it gets here, Thanks all for your assistance.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #11

Did you take this opportunity to upgrade?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

There is a fuse on the converter board which could be blown. Flow chart, troubleshooting guide and manual for WFCO WF-8900 series converter.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter