Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Trouble with Champion 3100W Inverter

I have a Champion 3100 watt electric start genny that will not turn over. The battery has 12.6 volts. The oil level is good. When I press the start button the led on/off switch dims, but the starter does not turn over. I tried pull starting it, but it still doesn't start. Ideas?
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...h+remote+start
Old 09-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Team

You know Champion has very good customer service.
Did you try calling them?
Not sure if they are available 24/7.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRik View Post
I have a Champion 3100 watt electric start genny that will not turn over. The battery has 12.6 volts. The oil level is good. When I press the start button the led on/off switch dims, but the starter does not turn over. I tried pull starting it, but it still doesn't start. Ideas?
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Powe...h+remote+start
How old is the battery. it can have a dead cell and give you false reading for volts. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Is it a 12 volt battery? Can you jump it or take it out for a load test?
Old 09-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #5

Small engine basics the power sport batteries are junk they kast maybe 2 years in cold climates
What does the voltage do whey you crank massive drop and no turn you either have something frozen or a bad cell
Next you say it won't oull start
the basics does t have fuel is it getting to the carb
Is the air filter clean air nd not over oiled if it's a reusable filter
is the exhaust pluged up
What about spark what does the plug look like have you tried a new properly gaped plug
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

I am not sure about the whole story...I would use carburetor cleaner(or something similar) directly in the plug hole to prime the unit. Many times pulling a flooded engine(assuming) won't work.
I go with a bad battery as well on the no turning over.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

Dry spark plug, replace. Drain float bowl on carburetor, fill with fresh fuel, generally works for me on my Honda's. Should start with rope if battery is dead.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,TV-2015 LTZ Duramax with over 156,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 11,700 miles
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You know Champion has very good customer service.
Did you try calling them?
Not sure if they are available 24/7.
I called, but they are only available 24/7 for 'Emergencies.' This isn't an emergency even though it may become one if Irma heads our way.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
How old is the battery. it can have a dead cell and give you false reading for volts. Later RJD
It is about 16 months old. I hooked a charger to it that has a 50A jumps start, but it did not even try to turn over. I start it every month and let the fuel run out of it after a few minutes. It usually pull starts in 1-2 pulls also.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Small engine basics the power sport batteries are junk they kast maybe 2 years in cold climates
What does the voltage do whey you crank massive drop and no turn you either have something frozen or a bad cell
Next you say it won't oull start
the basics does t have fuel is it getting to the carb
Is the air filter clean air nd not over oiled if it's a reusable filter
is the exhaust pluged up
What about spark what does the plug look like have you tried a new properly gaped plug
I have not checked the voltage drop when pressing the start switch. Will have to check that.
Air filter is clean, exhaust screen is clean and new gas put in.
Didn't check plug or bowl yet.
I'm thinking it may be an oil level sensor, but the light doesn't come one and the oil level is good. I do not know how to get to the wire to the sensor to check that.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
Is it a 12 volt battery? Can you jump it or take it out for a load test?
It is 12V. I hooked my 50A jump starter to it, but it still didn't budge. I may take it and have it load tested in case there is a bad cell.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Dry spark plug, replace. Drain float bowl on carburetor, fill with fresh fuel, generally works for me on my Honda's. Should start with rope if battery is dead.
fully charged 12V battery should measure 12.6 volts...

this sounds also like it could be a bad battery connection either to the battery or to the engine from the battery... if it won't turn over with the jump starter added... these batteries only need a small charge to turn over that small engine...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

I had an old genny that would not start, I tried for over a year to get it going. I sprayed some WD40 into the carburetor and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I gave it a couple of pulls and BANG, it fired right up.

2017 Saber 330CK
2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel 6.7L
BigBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBay View Post
I had an old genny that would not start, I tried for over a year to get it going. I sprayed some WD40 into the carburetor and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I gave it a couple of pulls and BANG, it fired right up.
An old Army trick for starting generators that had sat for while. Remove spark plug(s), small squirt of oil, turn engine over a couple times, replace spark plug(s) (after cleaning) and then try to start.

The oil will settle around the rings and increase compression. Just be prepared for some oil smoke. After engine starts the oil from the crankcase will lube rings when running.

If starter won't turn, first step is basics. Check connections at battery, engine ground, and starter. Starter motor may be "stuck" so removing, making sure the shaft will turn, and even testing using good battery and jumper cables might be in order. If the starter motor won't work then it needs repair/replace.

If you can't start with pull cord, chances are you have bad gas, flooded, or fouled spark plug. Single cylinder engines are pretty simple. Put a new spark plug into the end of the spark plug wire (old one out) and pull cord a few times. If the switch is on you should see spark. If not, the ignition module may be bad.

The switch is ON when you try the pull cord, right

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #15

That gen has an electric choke so if it's not getting voltage it won't start even with the pull cord.

Check all your electrical connections and test battery under load.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #16

Just wondering is the remote part on or off?
If the remote part is stuck in shutdown mode, maybe that is why unit will not crank over or fire up
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ZCM View Post
Just wondering is the remote part on or off?
If the remote part is stuck in shutdown mode, maybe that is why unit will not crank over or fire up
The part about lights going dim when the starter is pushed could well indicate a frozen starter motor, loose connection, or bad battery.

Basic 12V system diagnosis logically starts with the battery and a load test. Connections next. All to often its a simple issue, not necessarily the expensive part(s).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #18

If you have factory instaled Chinese made junk spark plug please remove it and but in a more reliable NGK BPR9ES plug (or whatever is indicated for your generator). Before you install the new plug, squirt some starter fluid in your spark plug hole and your should start instantly using the pull starter.

I would also recommend removing your air filter on a hard starting generator. They often are clogged with oil from blowby gasses and can cause hard starting problems. If you get generator running you can reinstall it but clean and/or replace it first as applicable.

I'm assuming you can turn your engine over. If you you may have a problem. My last generator had a cooling fin break which got caught in the pull starter assembly and prevented engine from turning over.

Good luck
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Not sure which model you have but this story might be helpful.

I have the non-electric Champion 3100 and was camping in the overflow at Lake Havasu last year when a gent came over and asked for help. He had a reasonably new electric start model and couldn't get it to start, not even pull start. Long story short, it turned out to be the battery was bad. But the main reason he couldn't get it to pull start was a choke issue. Unlike the manual pull start models, the manual chock on an electric start is behind the back panel (that would be the one on the opposite side of the panel you take off for an oil change).

Once we removed that panel and pulled the choke, the unit started right up on one or two pulls. Next day he went over to Interstate battery where they confirmed his battery was bad and installed a replacement for him.

I saw him a few days later and he said it was working great.

So I guess I'm saying did you check the hidden manual choke.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #20

On the electric start 3100 Champion, the choke is electric even when you pull the cord...you must first push in the electric choke button, pull the cord, then push the button again when it starts to turn the choke off. If the battery is dead, you must remove the cover and move the choke lever by hand.

This is nice because when using the key fob, the choke is engaged electrically before the starter kicks in until the generator is up and running. Also, when using the key fob to start, the load is not connected until the generator is up to speed. It's possible to overload a generator when starting if the load is connected.

Another nice feature of the Champion is the huge fuel fill port -- the foam doesn't run all over the place when you're filling the generator...just try to get gas into your Honda in CA.

And one last thing - there is an oil drain hose on the Champion. Warm her up and point the hose into a container...it's that simple, no tilting or sucking needed.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter