Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
fmc

Turn off charging WFCO

Can the battery charging function of a WFCO wf8955 pec be disabled?
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

It would seem that the only way to run 12 volts in the camper from the converter but not charge the battery would be to utilize the battery disconnect switch. That said, there is some concern about output voltage control without a battery attached as a reference voltage.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Turn off charging WFCO

Simple answer is yes, But why would you want to?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
fmc

The batteries are boiling over from time to time. They are matched batteries in excellent condition as check by hydrometer. All connections are clean and sealed and tight.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Sounds to me like you need to replace it. They are not expensive.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
fmc

I just wondered before I replaced it with the progressive dynamics unit
Old 01-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

You don't turn the WFCO off you hit your battery disconnect to disconnect the batteries and prevent them from overcharging. Your converter will supply all the 12 volts required. This is of course predicated upon there being a battery disconnect. Doing this will not create any issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
fmc

There is no battery disconnect but thank you for your reply
Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #9

Battery disconnects are cheap and simple to install. One of the first things we install on any new rig. We like it on the negative side.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:06 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
There should be a circuit breaker protecting the converter circuit...you can use that to remove power from it. Depending on what your trying to accomplish, this may work for you. There may be other things also on that line.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 AM   #11

Obviously you are trying to turn off the charging because you are plugged in all the time. If you were dry camping it wouldn't make sense.

I switched over to a progressive industries unit (the quick change) because the WFCO took so long to charge when dry camping. Get the pendant too. And if you are always curious on what the unit is outputting, install a 50amp ammeter on the output wire going to the fuse board. I did it and can see how much power is being used.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
The batteries are boiling over from time to time. They are matched batteries in excellent condition as check by hydrometer. All connections are clean and sealed and tight.
The bottom line here is your batteries should not be boiling over.. period! You are just masking a problem. Get a new converter. It will be a lot cheaper than 2 new batteries.

I'm sure someone can chime in here with a recommendation of a good converter. The WFCO gets poor reviews on this site...

It is something you can replace fairly easy. Google it and I'm sure you will find many YouTube videos...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Simple answer is yes, But why would you want to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
The bottom line here is your batteries should not be boiling over.. period! You are just masking a problem. Get a new converter. It will be a lot cheaper than 2 new batteries.

I'm sure someone can chime in here with a recommendation of a good converter. The WFCO gets poor reviews on this site...

It is something you can replace fairly easy. Google it and I'm sure you will find many YouTube videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
Contact Randy at BestConverter

He is very knowledgeable and will point you to a proper solution.

John U

X2 to all of those.....

Even with a WFCO and plugged into shore power 100% of the time your batteries should not boil over. You want a battery connected all the time even with shore power just for power regulation and the extra amperage provided for high draw things such as slide motors. Run those a few times with the converter only and you're asking for trouble.

I replaced the WFCO on our 2017 just for kicks with a Powermax Boondocker, but on our prior 3 campers the WFCO units never boiled over a battery. Have you checked out the voltage when it's in charge mode with a meter? It sounds like it's charging circuit is toast and is stuck in bulk charge mode. At this point your batteries may have already taken a hit too.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #14

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #15

I had the same problem during warranty, The first time they changed it out, never got below 13.6 because of parasites, that next one did the samething, even after isolating the draw, Remember that a WFCO can not read any draw for 48 hrs before it will drop down to float at 13.1. After the second time I paid the difference and installed a direct replacement for a Progressive. It took about 1/2 hr to replace but it is a true 4 stage charger not 3 like WFCO, and comes with a wizard so you can place it in any mode you want, from 14.4 to 13.1, never looked back and never boiled over again. I stay plugged in 24/7.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I had the same problem during warranty, The first time they changed it out, never got below 13.6 because of parasites, that next one did the samething, even after isolating the draw, Remember that a WFCO can not read any draw for 48 hrs before it will drop down to float at 13.1. After the second time I paid the difference and installed a direct replacement for a Progressive. It took about 1/2 hr to replace but it is a true 4 stage charger not 3 like WFCO, and comes with a wizard so you can place it in any mode you want, from 14.4 to 13.1, never looked back and never boiled over again. I stay plugged in 24/7.
Is "Plugged In 24/7" the same as "Juiced Up 24/7"? Still have our Original WFCO and No Boiling! Youroo!!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Is "Plugged In 24/7" the same as "Juiced Up 24/7"? Still have our Original WFCO and No Boiling! Youroo!!

Nor really, I have found that the older I get being juiced up 24/7 is no longer a possibility. Its more like taking a few hours to get juiced up and then falling asleep prematurely. Converters operate the same way, at least they're supposed to.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #18
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post

John U
My recommendation!

WFCO has a multitude of issues, they use it OEM because it is cheap. It is not a major job to swap the charger side of the 8955 out for either a Progressive or Powermax unit. Money well spent and your batteries will be much better off for it.

In the mean time you can shut the converter off by using the breaker for it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
WFCO has a multitude of issues, they use it OEM because it is cheap.

No doubt whatsoever and agree 100%.

That being said there are literally millions of them in use by RV owners who never think twice about it, do not know what a converter is, does nor care, have never had a problem with one, and never have joined nor even visited an RV or camping forum. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
No doubt whatsoever and agree 100%.

That being said there are literally millions of them in use by RV owners who never think twice about it, do not know what a converter is, does nor care, have never had a problem with one, and never have joined nor even visited an RV or camping forum. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
You are right... and some of that applies to me.

There are millions of them in use, I DO think twice about my charging system and check it regularly, (because I care), I've never had a problem with my current WFCO nor any of my many other campers that had them in and obviously I joined a forum to be posting here! Sometimes awareness is bliss too!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, wfco