Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #1

Turning off the all the breakers

I’ve had an issue with my batteries and decided to throw all the breakers when not being used. But to my surprise there were a number of things that still had power, like the lights and thermostat. Is this normal?
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #2

Breakers are for the 120 volt part of your RV. 12 volts works the reefer, heater and fan, gas side of the water heater, slides, lights, fans, smoke dectors and any other equipment that 12 volts.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
I’ve had an issue with my batteries and decided to throw all the breakers when not being used. But to my surprise there were a number of things that still had power, like the lights and thermostat. Is this normal?

That is how the system is designed. You have two different electrical systems. This thread may help, as it explains this in the first post:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Also you may want to read this thread too, as it may help on other things:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #4

The simplest solution is to install a battery disconnect switch directly on the battery. Or you can disconnect the negative cable. That will shut off everything in the rig. Be careful though. When we disconnect the battery on our rig, the automatic steps won't work which would create a hazard for anyone not paying attention.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #5

X2 on the battery switch.
Ram2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

Also be careful how you wire a battery switch. You need battery power for the brakes in the event the trailer separates from the tow vehicle when the break-a-way switch get's pulled. No power from tow vehicle at that point so the trailer battery must at least still power the break-a-switch.

For storage, that will not matter, but if you were to accidentally forget to turn it back on and tow, that could be an issue.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Also be careful how you wire a battery switch. You need battery power for the brakes in the event the trailer separates from the tow vehicle when the break-a-way switch get's pulled. No power from tow vehicle at that point so the trailer battery must at least still power the break-a-switch.

For storage, that will not matter, but if you were to accidentally forget to turn it back on and tow, that could be an issue.
That is a VERY good point and an excellent reminder.

Ours did not come with a Battery Cutoff Switch so I installed one.

It disconnects ALL the power from the battery so there is no parasitic draw from CO/Propane sensors, etc to drain the battery while we are storing it.

Many factory switches leave some items still powered up, which in my opinion defeats the very reason to have a Battery Disconnect in he first place.

Tags
breaker