Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2021, 12:21 AM   #1

USB charging station not working.

My Rockwood Signature Ultralite has a USB charging station in the bedroom.

Very simply, it doesn't work.

Any ideas?
MICHAEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #2

Remove the screws holding it in place, pull it out, check the wiring going to the unit for 12 volts DC. If the wires have 12 volts DC, then the charging unit itself is bad. If the wires don't have 12 volts DC, then you will need to continue troubleshooting to find out why.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:48 AM   #3

I had to replace mine last year.
Amazon.
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #4

Our USB ports were not working and I found out that they were wired into the ground fault circuit. Reset the breaker and everything worked fine. Good luck.o
CGJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #5

Having the same issue with our "Charging Station" in the bedroom panel. Neither USB or 12V Socket has power. Took the panel off and the wires connecting the have no power.

Where is the Ground Fault Circuit I can reset?
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #6

Some USB charging stations receive power from 120v shore power and some from the 12v battery system.

If from 12volt system resetting a gfci won't help.

The 12v powered ststions will more likely than not have a fuse somewhere. It will be necessary to trace wires to a power source.

The zuSB charging station in my MicroLite quit and I just replaced with a new one I liked better. New one supports fast charging and led illumination to make outlets rasier to see in dark or dim lighting.

Good luck.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #7

I watched a YouTube video showing there is a fuse block breaker from the battery under the trailer that has a reset switch on it. Will look for that in the morning and see if I reset it from there.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
I watched a YouTube video showing there is a fuse block breaker from the battery under the trailer that has a reset switch on it. Will look for that in the morning and see if I reset it from there.
All the power blocks coming from the battery connections are fine. Tested all the terminals with a multimeter today. Moving on the next troubleshooting tasks.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #9

I was able to trace the non-working issue to no power on the cable connection to the Charging Center (neither 12V socket or USB ports are getting power). I pulled the Charger Center out and tested it with a 12V power source and both socket and USBs are working fine when powered externally. To add, the USB port on the radio front is also not working.

The issue seems to be along the 12V power source cable in the RV. When you look at the connections behind the Charging Center you find 2 sets of power wires spliced together (red/white and orange/white) with the positives connected together and the negatives connected together that feed the 12V power to it. Appears there is another device along the cable that connected; maybe the radio USB port?

I will pull the radio off the wall next and see if maybe there is an inline fuse from this power line to the radio USB that has failed. Will report back what I find.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

The fuse behind the radio was blown. I replaced it and now have USB power at the radio. The Charging Center is still dead. Will need to get Forest River tech on the phone in the future to help troubleshoot.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #11

Anything ever come of this?

Quote:
The fuse behind the radio was blown. I replaced it and now have USB power at the radio. The Charging Center is still dead. Will need to get Forest River tech on the phone in the future to help troubleshoot.
An old post but I am having the same issue in my Freedom Express... both nightstand USB chargers not working. The one in the radio panel works fine. I have not looked at some of the other things noted in original discussion, but will. Just wondering what the outcome was.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #12

Going to pull out the entire fuse panel box this week and see if I can trace the wires back behind the panel to the Charging Station. There is a power disconnect somewhere.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarGuy View Post
An old post but I am having the same issue in my Freedom Express... both nightstand USB chargers not working. The one in the radio panel works fine. I have not looked at some of the other things noted in original discussion, but will. Just wondering what the outcome was.
Have you pulled the charging station from it's mount and checked to see if there is 12 volt power coming to it from the battery? First step in diagnosing non working electrical devices is checking to see if they actually have power to them.

Quote:
Going to pull out the entire fuse panel box this week and see if I can trace the wires back behind the panel to the Charging Station. There is a power disconnect somewhere.

Most likely an inline fuse hidden from view somewhere in the power supply wire. Perhaps even an internal fuse in the device itself.

I had a charging station stop working after 4 years and checked power wire at the butt connectors. There was 12V power there so I just removed the charging station and replaced it with a new one. New one has more outlets and even a "smart charge" one for newer devices.

Wasn't expensive and I saved a lot of time messing with the old one.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarGuy View Post
Yes, no power on wire pair behind the Charging Station. Will trace the wires to the fuse panel and test for power there.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #15
KSH

I had this problem on my previous trailer. Pulled the unit out of the wall, called the mfg of the unit and they sent me a new one.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I had this problem on my previous trailer. Pulled the unit out of the wall, called the mfg of the unit and they sent me a new one.
The unit is fine. Pulled and connected to a 12V source and works fine. There is no power on the wires connected to it in the trailer. Somehow the power was killed to it. Need to find where the power disconnect is.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #17

Quote:
The unit is fine. Pulled and connected to a 12V source and works fine. There is no power on the wires connected to it in the trailer. Somehow the power was killed to it. Need to find where the power disconnect is.
Look for an inline fuse along the wire feeding the USB charge station. Could also be a broken wire somewhere betwern fuse panel and charge station.

It will be necessary to trace that wire along it's path, including negative wire, to find break or bad connection if there is no blown fuse indicator lit in power distribution center ( where fuses, breakers, and converter are located).

Old 11-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Look for an inline fuse along the wire feeding the USB charge station. Could also be a broken wire somewhere betwern fuse panel and charge station.

It will be necessary to trace that wire along it's path, including negative wire, to find break or bad connection if there is no blown fuse indicator lit in power distribution center ( where fuses, breakers, and converter are located).
I pulled the cover off the fuse panel and see the color pair of wires that feed the Charging Station. Power is coming out of the fuse panel as it should. There is a break in the wire(s) along the path from the power source to the USB ports. Given the underbelly cover and not sure what the wire path is from the fuse panel back to the USB ports I'm not going to attempt tracing the wire(s).

I can live without the USB ports for a while. Once I get back to my home location I will run a new set of 12V power leads with an inline fuse from the power block coming from the battery. It measure about 5 feet of total run from the power block to the USB ports, so it's the easy fix.

Tags
charging