Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2024, 03:52 PM   #1

Using Air While Mooch-Docking

Gonna camp in my Daughter's driveway in a few weeks using standard 115v power. I don't feel good about running the rooftop Air on 15 amps, so I'm thinking about a 5,000 BTU portable air conditioner. From what I can tell it will need 7.6 amps running and maybe 2 or 3 times that at start up.

They come with a window kit for exhaust air, but not sure I can get it to work on my rounded camper windows. Also - we camped in 90+ degree weather this weekend, and the roof air could not keep up - so 5,000 btu maybe be useless.

My camper is a Salem 25RBHL - so probably around 220 sq ft. I have 100' x 14 gauge cord and 15-30 adapter. What I read says 7.6 amps might be pushing the extension chord a little bit. May have to go up to 12 gauge.

Or Maybe I should just get a soft-start kit on the roof air so I can get 15,000 btu, though still not sure if that would let me run on 15 amps.

Any wisdom much appreciated.

Rich
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 03:59 PM   #2

Read this thread: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...er-278435.html

It discusses this question in detail.

The short answer is it will probably work if the wiring of the house will accept it and you get proper cords (the 100ft 14 gauge is probably not enough) and are conservative with usage.
Old 06-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #3

Confession time.

While the rv was parked in our driveway while working on it. My fifth wheel was plugged in via a 12 gage wire, 100 footer. As I walked to the front I was concerned to see water leaking from the front. Geez. The DW or I had mistakenly left the thermostat on and the water was coming from the front 15,000 btu ac unit. Also the rear one was on. Makes little sense. The converter was also on. The ac units are on 20 amp breakers. The DW has the ac units set up with 2 degrees of different temps.

In the past several times I tried to run only the fireplace. 8,000 btuís or so. It would blow the house breaker every time.

My guess is a new 12 gage quality extension cord with the compressor fridge off would work.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:40 PM   #4

Your cooling experience with your 15,000 BTU AC should have told you 5,000 BTU ain't gonna work. But based on near consensus here you can run a 15,000 BTU AC on a 15a house outlet. Easily meaning that's all that's on the outlet. And it has a soft start capacitor.

According to the internet the typical 15,000 BTU RV AC needs 3,500 watts (30a) on startup so a soft start capacitor will help in all conditions. Once running draw is about 1,500 watts or 12.5a.

A 10/3 wire power cord of at least 50' will handle my Roo off a standard 15a outlet in my garage if I'm careful about power use. I think my non-soft start AC is 13,500 watts though.

Easy to test especially since you have a few weeks.

-- Chuck
Old 06-22-2024, 07:53 PM   #5

I run my 13500 BTU from garage 20 amp outlet
it is connected all the time at home and have run the a/c for 2 years to control heat and humidity inside the trailer

you need a good 10g extension cord
+ a 20 to 30 adapter
and don't run anything else in the garage

If you need the battery charged... charge up battery first before using the a/c
once the battery is charged it should stay charged and the converter won't be pulling a lot of amps
Old 06-22-2024, 08:29 PM   #6

My 15k a/c unit was built in 2010. It will not run on a 15amp circuit. It will run on a 20amp circuit if every other load in the RV and house circuit is off.

My buddy has a 2018 15k a/c (same brand) and it runs fine on a 15amp circuit. Maybe the newer ones are more efficient?

Every external extension cord in my RV is 10ga. 25' and a 50'. No worries.

Personally, I do not enjoy mooch docking for several reasons. We will either dry camp in the boonies (generators), or use an RV park with full hookups. No worries either way.

Good luck and enjoy your trip to your daughter's house!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:27 PM   #7
NXR

Switch the water heater and fridge to propane if they use electricity normally.

With a soft start you should be OK. If you have a heavy enough extension cord you may not even need it. An undersized extension cord will drop the voltage at the camper resulting in a slower start up of the compressor. That will pull more current longer than normal and that could trip the thermal breaker in the house.

I've done 15 amps with my 15K with a soft start just to see if it would work. But it sounds like you'll be plugging into a GFCI outlet and those can trip when an RV is plugged in. You'll find out...

Ray
Old 06-23-2024, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My 15k a/c unit was built in 2010. It will not run on a 15amp circuit. It will run on a 20amp circuit if every other load in the RV and house circuit is off.

My buddy has a 2018 15k a/c (same brand) and it runs fine on a 15amp circuit. Maybe the newer ones are more efficient?

Every external extension cord in my RV is 10ga. 25' and a 50'. No worries.

Personally, I do not enjoy mooch docking for several reasons. We will either dry camp in the boonies (generators), or use an RV park with full hookups. No worries either way.

Good luck and enjoy your trip to your daughter's house!

I am currently mooch docking at my daughter's house. Shortly after I arrived a 30 amp RV receptacle "sprouted magically" from their shop's power panel. Happened one day while both her and my SIL were ar work.

BTW last summer I replaced my dead 13.5 Coleman Mach III with a Furrion 15KHE. It draws a max of 14 amps which can drop as low as 11.5 amps depending on how high ambient temp is. Newer units can be a lot more efficient. With a Microair easy start it easily runs on a single 2500w Champion Inverter Generator or a 15 amp outlet with NOTHING else on that circuit.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 09:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I am currently mooch docking at my daughter's house. Shortly after I arrived a 30 amp RV receptacle "sprouted magically" from their shop's power panel. Happened one day while both her and my SIL were ar work. ��

That's the best option. took advantage of my dad's 30 amp camper receptacle last year.