Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

Utilizing solar on the side with Portable solar Generators, it works!

As I continue to play around with my Victron smart shunt I decided I wanted to try testing the DC output of my Ecoflow R600 Pro lithium battery pack

Right now my Geo Pro Trailer is in my driveway, and is nearly 100% covered by trees and shade, so my 380w of solar only generates a maximum of 11amps per day (which is good because it won’t skew my results very much. Also the fridge in my trailer is 12v no propane so it does take a bit more energy than the absorption type fridges.

My starting point for testing was with the SOC at 53% from my 100ah battery Trailer had been unplugged from shore power for 32 hours battery voltage was approx 13.13v

My plan was to use the 12v outlet and plug directly into the solar on the side port. Unfortunately I couldn’t get hardly any output using the 12v outlet. I was getting about ¾ of an amp. My theory is because this output is 13.6v there wasn’t a big enough voltage difference to send out a higher current.

When I plugged the 5524 to SAE connector in to the solar on the side I got just under 3 amps of charge current.

By no means was this a way to charge the battery back up but just to extend the time between charges of the Trailer battery (when the R600 Pro was discharged my trailer had been unplugged from shore power for over 2 days)

It took about 19.5 hours for the R600 pro to discharge, but can fully
recharge with AC power in less than 2 hours (from a generator or my 1100w Inverter mounted in my tow vehicle). It also has a built in MPPT charge controller so I can charge it with solar as well.

When the 12v Fridge is running it takes about 4 amps, so with this pack connected its only draining about 2 amps per hour.

My plan for this is to use this R600 Pro via solar on the side on cloudy days and/or over night when there is no sun. Of course I can also just plug the entire trailer into its 120v outlet as well (which does 600w and can charge the trailer batteries).

I also have an Ecoflow Delta 1000 which I will try it’s 12v output on to see if it does better than the R600.

TLDR I was able to recover 17% SOC over 19 hours using this lithium battery pack

Here are the Ecoflow battery packs I have

ORA2
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #2

that is a pretty good test, thanks for sharing. My experience with the 12v cigarette lighter connections is they are often terrible- just not much contact area and a lot of voltage drop. Often times when fridges are installed in trucks and there's a problem, the culprit is that cigarette lighter plug, once that is taken out of the circuit performance always gets better. It's ok for a string of lights, or running an air mattress pump for a minute, but nothing you'd want to try to charge a camper from, or even run a fridge, as you discovered.

I haven't messed with Eco Flow before, certainly know Jackery, Goal Zero, yeti, etc... curious why you have so many of them?
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

I purchased 2 of the 3 through kickstarter, so I was one of the first people to get them before they went to retail. I bought them for their quick recharge feature, when I originally bought them I wasn't in the market for a trailer but I've found a way to make use of them.
ORA2
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, solar