Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
12.9V is much too low for a float voltage. I really doubt its that low. If it is, you need a different converter.

The monitor will sense any current draw. The only thing it can't measure is self discharge of the battery itself which can be 5% a month for a FLA battery.
X2, the manual recommends 13.2V for a 12 volt battery...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #22

There's 3 stages of charging (from the WFCO website):
Normal (absorbtion) 13.5v
Trickle (float) 12.9v
Fast charge (bulk) 14.3v

I assumed I needed to use the float value. When I was using normal, the system would never synch on it's own. Something else I should look at?

Thanks for replies.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #23

Quote:
12.9V is much too low for a float voltage. I really doubt its that low. If it is, you need a different converter.

The monitor will sense any current draw. The only thing it can't measure is self discharge of the battery itself which can be 5% a month for a FLA battery.
If you do that the Victron will never get to 100% since the voltage will never drop that low. 13.2 is the generally accepted value for float and it will probably wait until you push in at least 10% more than the bank size.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
If you do that the Victron will never get to 100% since the voltage will never drop that low. 13.2 is the generally accepted value for float and it will probably wait until you push in at least 10% more than the bank size.
You don't understand how the BMV works. Once the battery voltage exceeds the charged voltage threshold AND the current is below the tail current AND these occur for the charged detection time, then the BMV sets the 100% charged level.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
There's 3 stages of charging (from the WFCO website):
Normal (absorbtion) 13.5v
Trickle (float) 12.9v
Fast charge (bulk) 14.3v

I assumed I needed to use the float value. When I was using normal, the system would never synch on it's own. Something else I should look at?

Thanks for replies.
I think you need to check your specs. No way its 12.9V. Have a link?

What is your tail current set to and what is your charge detection time set to? Also, what is the capacity of your batteries and what do you have the capacity set to in your BMV?

Better yet, do a screen shot of your BMV settings and post it.

EDIT: Looks like the WFCO float voltage is 13.2V. Not sure where you saw 12.9. You should set your charged voltage to slightly less than that.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm also wondering if the unit can sense the parasitic loads while in storage. Battery will drain down, but the amp draw is very low.

It will.

One important item, make sure to perform a "Zero Current Calibration".

Remove negative cable from shunt on the end opposite where the cable from negative terminal is connected (shunt must remain connected to battery negative terminal) Go to Settings, select "Battery" and at the bottom of the screen will be a "Button" next to Zero Current Calibration saying "Calibrate".

By removing the negative cable that connects to the trailer you now have Zero Current flowing with the exception of whatever is being consumed by the Victron itself. I think it's about 200 milliamps. When you reconnect you will now be reading whatever current is being drawn by other appliances, accessories.

I do this every few months although I didn't read anything in the manual that suggested specific intervals.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #27

Babock,
Yep, you're right....13.2v, 13.6v and 14.4v
Will adjust my settings accordingly.
Thank you.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #28

Quote:
I think you need to check your specs. No way its 12.9V. Have a link?

What is your tail current set to and what is your charge detection time set to? Also, what is the capacity of your batteries and what do you have the capacity set to in your BMV?

Better yet, do a screen shot of your BMV settings and post it.

EDIT: Looks like the WFCO float voltage is 13.2V. Not sure where you saw 12.9. You should set your charged voltage to slightly less than that.
I will post pic tomorrow...
Old 07-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It will.

One important item, make sure to perform a "Zero Current Calibration".

Remove negative cable from shunt on the end opposite where the cable from negative terminal is connected (shunt must remain connected to battery negative terminal) Go to Settings, select "Battery" and at the bottom of the screen will be a "Button" next to Zero Current Calibration saying "Calibrate".

By removing the negative cable that connects to the trailer you now have Zero Current flowing with the exception of whatever is being consumed by the Victron itself. I think it's about 200 milliamps. When you reconnect you will now be reading whatever current is being drawn by other appliances, accessories.

I do this every few months although I didn't read anything in the manual that suggested specific intervals.
Wow, thanks. I will try this tomorrow when I have a chance.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #30

Quote:
You don't understand how the BMV works. Once the battery voltage exceeds the charged voltage threshold AND the current is below the tail current AND these occur for the charged detection time, then the BMV sets the 100% charged level.
I stand corrected. The whole issue of 100% SOC and voltage is a rat's nest. We all know that voltage isn't a good indicator of SOC but a meter needs to calculate some starting point. The parameters of voltage above some low float level and current below some low level and maybe waiting for a while is probably the best indicator that the bank will not accept any more charge. HOWEVER, it is not an indication that you have any specific storage capacity. As the bank ages, SOC will begin to drift since the system assumes that that bank still has the capacity that was originally set. Still the best indicator.

2015 335DS
Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #31

Quote:
I stand corrected. The whole issue of 100% SOC and voltage is a rat's nest. We all know that voltage isn't a good indicator of SOC but a meter needs to calculate some starting point. The parameters of voltage above some low float level and current below some low level and maybe waiting for a while is probably the best indicator that the bank will not accept any more charge. HOWEVER, it is not an indication that you have any specific storage capacity. As the bank ages, SOC will begin to drift since the system assumes that that bank still has the capacity that was originally set. Still the best indicator.

If one is using a Battery monitor such as the Victron BMV7xx they could merely adjust the ah capacity in the settings.

Observe voltage readings until they reach the 50% level (temperature corrected of course) and then read the amp hours consumed to reach that level. Multiply by 2 and that should be the new amp hour capacity for a degraded battery.

That should bring voltage and SOC % more into sync as battery bank degrades.

Pretty much a non-issue with "Lithium" though. Some of us won't be around long enough for a LiFePo battery bank to degrade to the point this will be an issue at all

Old 07-22-2019, 11:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Observe voltage readings until they reach the 50% level (temperature corrected of course) and then read the amp hours consumed to reach that level. Multiply by 2 and that should be the new amp hour capacity for a degraded battery.
...and let it sit for at least 4 hours. Yep, could do that. Actually a good SOC meter could do that as well.

2015 335DS
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #33

Quote:
...and let it sit for at least 4 hours. Yep, could do that. Actually a good SOC meter could do that as well.
As I understand, most (at least my Victron) calculates SOC and Time Remaining, based on the amp hour capacity you entered in the "Settings" menu.

As pointed out in your previous post this may no longer be accurate as the bank degrades.

Unless the "SOC Meter" has some way of performing this adjustment on it's own I don't see how it can allow for degradation.

In "Smart Batteries" this is done through the performance of regular full discharge/full recharge cycles, that calibrate the "Fuel Gauge".

Pb batteries are certainly not "smart".

Old 07-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #34

Quote:
...Pb batteries are certainly not "smart".
No they are not. I have a data logger that connects to my Trimetric that continuously measures the settled voltage against the current SOC and attempts to adjust for this. After all we all know that 3 or 4 hours at a low discharge current will give us a decent SOC estimate based on residual voltage. We all know the direction it goes, as a given SOC continually results in a lower and lower resting voltage. It is a slow degradation, but it is always there.

Wish there was a better way, but there isn't.

2015 335DS
Old 07-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #35

Quote:

Wish there was a better way, but there isn't.

I believe that this is one of the appealing features of LiFePo batteries.

An unappealing feature of them however is cost.

As I've related before, "It's now how much you spend, it's how often you have to spend it".

Pb battery life measured in hundreds of cycles, LiFePo batteries measured in thousands. And then there's the weight factor.

In short, there is a better way, just not many are ready to spend the money on it. They still prefer to haul around hundreds of pounds of lead and replace every few years.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #36

Quote:
I believe that this is one of the appealing features of LiFePo batteries...
Yep, I still lug around 4 FLA batteries...

2015 335DS
Old 07-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #37
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
{snip}...Pb battery life measured in hundreds of cycles, LiFePo batteries measured in thousands. And then there's the weight factor...{snip}
Add to those factors the ability for a depth of discharge down to about 20% (or lower)! The Renology deal a few days ago was the first time I saw a price under $800.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Add to those factors the ability for a depth of discharge down to about 20% (or lower)! The Renology deal a few days ago was the first time I saw a price under $800.
Well, let's see. I can get really good Trojans for around $100 each so say 200 AH of lithium only costs what four sets of 440 AH Trojans would be.

I am too old for this, no payback.

2015 335DS
Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #39

Here's a pic of my settings as requested. I adjusted the charged voltage to 13.0V, as my WFCO uses 13.2V as the float charge. Does it look like I should change any other values?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190722-145447.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	210526
Old 07-22-2019, 07:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Here's a pic of my settings as requested. I adjusted the charged voltage to 13.0V, as my WFCO uses 13.2V as the float charge. Does it look like I should change any other values?Attachment 210526
What batteries do you have and how old are they?