Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #1

Question Victron Smart Shunt

I have a few questions about the Victron smart shunt before I order one.

1. The manual states that it should be mounted in a dry location but is rated at IP21. If my failing memory is correct, IP21 is good in 'dripping water' so is it OK to mount in the battery box on my TT?

2. With a current draw of <1mA, it seems like I shouldn't have to worry about it being active with the battery disconnect turned to the off position.

3. I have the breakaway switch wired so it is always active just in case I forget to engage the battery while towing but since this is (hopefully) always open, there shouldn't be any problems. And if not, an inaccurate battery reading falls way down on the priority list.

I guess this is actually only one question and a couple comments but I would appreciate any thoughts on this and should also ask if I'm correct in thinking that I can use this without a monitor and only the Bluetooth App.

Thanks,
Ed
EddieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

IP21: Protected from touch by fingers and objects greater than 12 millimetres. Protected from condensation.

you would need ip22 to hit water spray...
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

I mounted mine in an IP66 box next to the battery box.

Agree with you on #2 & 3

Old 03-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #4

I was concerned about current draw through the shunt as it is always active. They state 1 milliamperes. I am no longer concerned! The 1 milliamperes is nothing! That is still under 1 amp in an entire month. I have not seen any adverse effect of having the shunt always active.

I use the Bluetooth app on my phone and it works well. You just have to be within range which for me is about 15 feet. The shunt is inside the front storage compartment of our 5th wheel.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #5

Thanks, I think that sounds better than the battery box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post

Agree with you on #2 & 3

Old 03-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, CHICKDOE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I was concerned about current draw through the shunt as it is always active. They state 1 milliamperes. I am no longer concerned! The 1 milliamperes is nothing! That is still under 1 amp in an entire month. I have not seen any adverse effect of having the shunt always active.

I use the Bluetooth app on my phone and it works well. You just have to be within range which for me is about 15 feet. The shunt is inside the front storage compartment of our 5th wheel.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #7

Hi, a couple things that I wish I'd known before I got mine: the nice data in the 'Trends' graph section only reports as long as the app is open - if you exit from the app it resets and starts capturing again when the app is relaunched (there is a 'History' tab that does retain some important info tho).

The other thing is the lack of a relay that the BMV-712 has. The smartshunt only has midpoint, starter battery, or temperature data capturing capability.

Neither of these are deal breakers, I'm still very happy with the smartshunt.

BTW, most of Victrons bluetooth-enabled products are available to demo in the victronconnect app so you can get an idea of how they work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210305-201133.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	248963
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #8
Retired Panpsychist

One other thing to note, Victron's Bluetooth data can be received by other Victron equipment. For example, a Victron solar charge controller can get data from a BMV-712 battery monitor. I assume it can also talk to the Smart Shunt.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
One other thing to note, Victron's Bluetooth data can be received by other Victron equipment. For example, a Victron solar charge controller can get data from a BMV-712 battery monitor. I assume it can also talk to the Smart Shunt.
Yes absolutely, the smartshunt is ve.smart - capable.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I did know that it can communicate with a Victron solar controller but I'm not sure what the advantage of this is. I have a Renogy controller and it monitors the battery to set the proper charging stage. Isn't that what a solar controller is supposed to do? I assume the Victron controller would do the same without the smart shunt so what is the advantage?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #11

A shunt provides a much more accurate state of charge reading than just voltage, especially with lithium with its flat charging curve - although this would be more for your info as the charge controller would know the charge is complete by the amp draw of the battery.

I suppose the main benefit of the network would be the temperature reading. The Mppt would ceace charging if the battery temperature is too low or high (if you have the probe installed).

I'm not sure if this is the only benefit though. Can anyone confirm?
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post

Agree with you on #2 & 3

What kind of box did you use?
tempestdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #13

I'm also interested in what box you used.

I've been looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Dustproof-Wat...NrPXRydWU&th=1

It looks like the shunt should fit, but I'm curious whether my 4/0 gauge inverter leads will fit through the bushings.
NullPtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullPtr View Post
{snip}...It looks like the shunt should [f]it, but I'm curious whether my 4/0 gauge inverter leads will fit through the bushings.
It looks like the box will accept 20mm cable glands. I'd measure the OD of your 4/0 wire, but I believe it may be around 12-13mm (with insulation). Get the OD measurement of your wire and look-up under the "Gland Inner Diameter (mm)" column in the cable gland size chart below and shop for the corresponding PGXX glands.

You'll also find glands that can accept a range of wire diameters. I have used these wit great success in an outdoor environment.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestdriver View Post
What kind of box did you use?
I over-engineered this (as I'm oft to do) with both the shunt and the display mounted in the box. The clear cover allows you to see the display, although in reality it's easier to just use your phone app.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a back plate to mount the shunt, and the display is mounted on a front plate. Trailer is in storage, so I can't show it mounted...but here it is on my kitchen counter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	249237   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	10
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	249239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200309_204502.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	249240  
Old 03-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

I suppose the main benefit of the network would be the temperature reading. The Mppt would ceace charging if the battery temperature is too low or high (if you have the probe installed).

I'm not sure if this is the only benefit though. Can anyone confirm?
A real benefit to networking is if a smart (blutooth enabled) solar conroller is mounted any distance from the batteries, where the shunt is, voltage that controls the output of the controller is sent from the shunt. This negates the effect of voltage drop between controller and batteries, which affects the charge profile.

A Victron converter/charger can also have this function. Batteries remain at Bulk or Absorption charge rates longer. This results in shorter charging times.

This is actually a larger benefit than the temperature probe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote