Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Voltage protection.

Every boat that I have ever owned that had a dockside (city) water hook up had a pressure regulator built in where the hose connects to the boat. The RV industry is way behind on this one. I think that a built in pressure regulator and built in voltage protection should be standard in EVERY RV. The manufactures can just adjust the base price to include the extra cost. I would rather pay extra for that than a built in vacuum cleaner. They can buy them cheaper then we can and it would be a great selling point.

-BC-

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I am sort of against this for the very reason they tried to sue Microsoft for "bundling" software for free that others were trying to sell.

1) It stifles competition and innovation.

If for example all the manufacturers "standardized" on one design, the others who cater to the industry would go out of business throwing folks out of work. We would be stuck with what ever design was accepted and innovation would be eliminated because with no market, why bother.

2) Replacing the "standard" Line monitor with an after market one would be beyond the average DIY'er because even trying to find it would be a challenge. Most folks would not even attempt it even if there was an improved model to go to.

3) It might force us to accept crap. They could advertise they had "built in" line protection while using the cheapest and least effective solution to keep their costs low and the profits high. You would have a false sense of security. There is a big difference between a surge protector that has a 500 Joule rating and one with a 3600 Joule rating. You can buy a surge suppressor for $9.00 or one for $500.00. Which one do you think will wind up in your camper as "standard"?

Surge protector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4) Who would build a better mouse trap? What could they possibly sell it for that would entice the mostly uneducated public away from the "standard" one?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

Well said Herk.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #4

I must agree with Buckeye Chuck on this issue. To me water pressure regulation and voltage regulation is no different than including the appropriately rated axle. These are basics which protect your investment. If there is a market for superior solutions, then that market will develop and be served. This may occur via OEM or aftermarket.

The RV industry has not, in my opinion. adequately addressed the issue of a base level of quality. They are were the car industry was 20 years ago. Leaks, slide issue, basic wiring issues, water pressure regulation, voltage regulation and tires are basic issues which cause way too many RV owners problems. These are QC issues which need to be resolved. Purchases from $10,000 to $100,000 for trailers are major expenditures and should be accompanied by a solid ownership experience.

If this industry wants to continue to grow, consumer satisfaction and confidence needs to improve. We are way beyond tent camping and putting up with needless inconveniences.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingbear View Post
This may occur via OEM or aftermarket.
The aftermarket already provides some very very good solutions like the Franks Autoformer and Progressive Industries with their line of EMS surge / power monitor units which can be either bought as standalone units that plug into the power pole or for those of us who are a bit more DYI people there are built in units. I would take one of the units from these manufacturers any day over a solution that was engineered to a price point to make a bean counter happy. And FWIW the last statement still happens all the time in the auto industry and we still end up with junk in 60k + vehicles.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote