Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 AM   #21

If you have a router you can make flush mount speaker rings. Can probably also find them premise online to mount.
Robert8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
Hmmmm..... I only had about 2", whre the insulation was. Dont you have room between ceiling and roof?
Ya, same with me, about 2" of depth above the ceiling. Problem is, I have what appears to be a roof support directly above the speaker. Of course with 4 holes in the ceiling, I dont want to relocate the speaker, but may not have a choice.....
Old 10-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #23

You should be able to find whatever size you need on eBay

Pair 2 High Quality 5 25" Speaker Spacer 1" Depth Extender Rings American Int | eBay

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #24

I upgraded my sound. After upgrading to a very nice Kenwood head unit, I also added 4.300 4 channel and 1.250 Memphis amps and a 4 zone speaker controller. I replaced the ceiling 6.5" in LR with 6x9 JL Audio three ways and added 2 sets of 6.0" Polk audio in BR and toy bay as well as a Memphis 2 voice coil 12" sub (behind the recliners). There was plenty of room in ceiling. I would suggest fabricating plywood (I used 1/2") reinforcements above ceiling to screw into. The 1/8" luan won't hold them well.
The JL Audio are very nice. The Polks are okay, the Memphis parts are very nice.
The reinforcement I mentioned looks something like this. The hole fits what ever speaker you get and it is split to be able to get it into the ceiling space. I held the pieces in place with tiny 1/2" long screws.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
Ripped out the crap unit and got a Magnadyne RV5090 w/bluetooth. A lot more power, blue tooth so that we can listen to the music on our phones, and doesnt look so damn cheap!

Amazon.com : Magnadyne RV5090 Linear Series 120 Watt AM/FM/CD/DVD In-Wall Receiver w/ Remote Control & Bluetooth Audio : Vehicle Receivers : Car Electronics

This is the crap that I took out:

RV4500 Linear Series Wall Mount | Car stereo In-Wall Receiver | RV’s

Hey wing dreamer - I have the same basic TT and the speakers are poor. What was the labor involved in upgrading the magnadyne? Easy? Noticeable diff in sound quality? Anxious to hear also what spkrs you used in ceiling and still allow slide out to clear them. Looking to upgrade outdoor spkrs too. Thanks!

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland (Hemi)
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
Hey wing dreamer - I have the same basic TT and the speakers are poor. What was the labor involved in upgrading the magnadyne? Easy? Noticeable diff in sound quality? Anxious to hear also what spkrs you used in ceiling and still allow slide out to clear them. Looking to upgrade outdoor spkrs too. Thanks!

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
Hi John,
I found all the wiring to the 4 speakers that, although was intact behind the old radio, was wired with a common ground. (all 4 ground wires connected together, the attached to a single ground wire on the back of the old radio. The new radio has individual ground wires for each speaker.... The 5090 fits right in with no mods (same manufacturer) and with the wiring, took about an hour. The 5090 has a bigger amp, but the crappy factory speakers still make it sound lousy. Thus, I am looking at replacing with perhaps 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" round speakers. Waiting till it comes out of storage, so that I can disconnect each speaker, use my camera probe to look into the ceiling cavity and determine if I can cut holes to allow for partial recessing of the new speakers (I don't want to use any deeper spacer rings than I absolutely need). Hopefully end of this month or early April to continue on....
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Hi John,
I found all the wiring to the 4 speakers that, although was intact behind the old radio, was wired with a common ground. (all 4 ground wires connected together, the attached to a single ground wire on the back of the old radio. The new radio has individual ground wires for each speaker.... The 5090 fits right in with no mods (same manufacturer) and with the wiring, took about an hour. The 5090 has a bigger amp, but the crappy factory speakers still make it sound lousy. Thus, I am looking at replacing with perhaps 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" round speakers. Waiting till it comes out of storage, so that I can disconnect each speaker, use my camera probe to look into the ceiling cavity and determine if I can cut holes to allow for partial recessing of the new speakers (I don't want to use any deeper spacer rings than I absolutely need). Hopefully end of this month or early April to continue on....
Good deal. Keep us posted on your success. Gotta have good sound. Thanks much!!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Hi John,

Hi wing dreamer - checking in to see if you've played around with replacing your speakers yet. Anxious to hear what you end up doing. Thanks!

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
Old 04-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #29

Ended up buying a Samsung sound bar with a Bluetooth wireless sub. Going to mount the soundbar under the TV. This way, the ceiling speakers will basically become tweeters.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Ended up buying a Samsung sound bar with a Bluetooth wireless sub. Going to mount the soundbar under the TV. This way, the ceiling speakers will basically become tweeters.

Good deal. Was thinking along those lines too. Give us a full sound report when you get her all hooked up.

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS

Tags
upgrade