Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #1

Question Water pump and tank levels blowing fuse

Hey folks, first post..lots of good info from the vets
made it to alaska from ark., but since we got here my water pump and/or tank level monitors are blowing the darn 4 amp fuse...constantly, and 4 amp fuses are hard to come by. Pulled the panel and checked for any visible frays on wiring, none found.
Down to my last fuse...sos
2002 salem 5er
TEX ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #2

The smallest fuse in my camper is a 7.5 amp and it's for the radio.Wonder if someone replaced it with the wrong size before you got it.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm thinking like Cat. 4 amps seems mighty small especially for the water pump.

Does it blow as soon as you stick it in or does it only blow when you try to start the pump or press on of the monitor panel buttons? If it blows as soon as you plug it in then you most likely have a short in the wiring.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #4

Looking at Camping World there water pumps range from 4 amps to 10 amps.I can not see how a 4 amp fuse is large enought. I have seen some as low as 2.5 amp but that was at full flow. Let us know what you find out.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #5

Check the pump specs stamped on the pump. Add 2 amps to the amperage spec'd and buy fuses accordingly. check the amp draw on the pump to be sure it isn't drawing too much power (indicating ground short, low voltage, or internal short or other). The damaged conducter may be anywhere between that fuse and the pump or from the pump to the ground or from the pump to the switch.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote