Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
mine kept saying 1800/120 = 15amps too... but now it says 1500 ....not 1800
but everyone knows that me and formulas and correct wording don't exactly go together.

But I do know... that I experienced low voltage, and breakers tripped after a few hours... swapped out the cord and voltage was good after that. no more tripped breakers since then.

getting the voltage back to within tolerance = one less thing out of the OP/s problem's troubleshooting equation.

The way I look at it is:
To us untrained RV/Trailer/Camper owners it is good to know how much power each device we want to run is designed to use.
Especially if we only have a measly 30amps system

I really only use that formula when I'm given watts and I want to know how many amps it may use from my circuit that is labeled in amps.

We never trained to be electricians or Electrical engineers so we just rely on the manufactures specifications (watts or amps)
We don't WANT or NEED to know how electrons interact with each other nor how each tiny part of a complex device works.

Anyone wanting to fully understand this electrical mystery stuff...... will be on a electrical design/repair forum.

The good thing is... if we the untrained owners, stick to the assumption that most devices will follow the formula.... using the LOW voltage

The error would calculate higher amperage results.

Then we would (hopefully) try and work around this high amps by moving some load to another circuit or not using the TWO devices at the same time.

Knowing how to SAFELY check voltage at it's source and FOLLOW it throughout the RV / Trailer / Camper should be the one thing people learn before heading off into the wide blue sunset.

This entire thread is a good example of people needing to just step back and go to the basics.

took 31 posts .... to check if converter is actually getting power from a tripped breaker!
Problem solved in post 3 or 4 the rest was more people just guess and making odd ball un needed suggestions . 99% of the basic electrical on an rv can be solved with a meter and basic knowledge . the problem with the forum is to many going off in all directions instead of focusing on the problem. when offering suggestion the best bet is to KISS
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #42
Who Dares, Wins

Problem with having 100k members (or whatever) gotten into more arguments with people who give the most rediculous advice or argue your wrong when you know they are.. I barely come around anymore or even want or give advice anymore to many people haven't the clue of what they speak but try to be an expert.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:57 PM   #43

The other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Problem with having 100k members (or whatever) gotten into more arguments with people who give the most rediculous advice or argue your wrong when you know they are.. I barely come around anymore or even want or give advice anymore to many people haven't the clue of what they speak but try to be an expert.
I tend to lean the other way. If someone offers misleading or dangerous advice, I feel obliged to indicate the error and why it could hurt someone, or lead them to a bad result.

It's generally appreciated. Occasionally someone answers snidely.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #44
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I tend to lean the other way. If someone offers misleading or dangerous advice, I feel obliged to indicate the error and why it could hurt someone, or lead them to a bad result.

It's generally appreciated. Occasionally someone answers snidely.
That would prove to be a full time job!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-09-2023, 09:26 AM   #45
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Like Larry, I often try to correct ill advised/incorrect advice. And yes, there "seems" to be more folks giving advice but I'm not chalking that up to being totally bad. I've been here a few years and some of the long time, good posters have gone on but there have been some newer folks come aboard that give good advice too. (and yes, some bad, real bad)

The other thing we face regularly is that many folks think EVERY R/V is just like theirs and that simply isn't the case so we must educate them as well. I believe the attitude of "I don't want to participate because they don't have a clue" provides no opportunity for teaching/learning or making this site better but I do know where Doc73 is coming from cause I've been there too and in the end, you just have to come to terms with there are those that will listen to someone else's point of view and understand and also those who won't listen to another's opinion and never will.

With that said, this is still one of the better R/V sites on the 'net for having good information and knowledgeable folks . Kudos to all that make it that way.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:27 AM   #46

Sadly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
That would prove to be a full time job!
Sadly, it's taking more of my time than it should. It's grown from an hour a day to at least a couple and other tasks are taking a back seat. I need to figure out how to cut back.

One of the best participants in the forum, Bruce (Nomad297) had to quit cold-turkey, couldn't taper off. Hoping I don't do have to do the same.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:15 PM   #47
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Sadly, it's taking more of my time than it should. It's grown from an hour a day to at least a couple and other tasks are taking a back seat. I need to figure out how to cut back.

One of the best participants in the forum, Bruce (Nomad297) had to quit cold-turkey, couldn't taper off. Hoping I don't do have to do the same.
I had to kind of do the cold turkey approach as well. My problem is I am very passionate about what I do and do you want to teach other people. But it does become very time-consuming in my already busy life.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-09-2023, 07:16 PM   #48
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Like Larry, I often try to correct ill advised/incorrect advice. And yes, there "seems" to be more folks giving advice but I'm not chalking that up to being totally bad. I've been here a few years and some of the long time, good posters have gone on but there have been some newer folks come aboard that give good advice too. (and yes, some bad, real bad)

The other thing we face regularly is that many folks think EVERY R/V is just like theirs and that simply isn't the case so we must educate them as well. I believe the attitude of "I don't want to participate because they don't have a clue" provides no opportunity for teaching/learning or making this site better but I do know where Doc73 is coming from cause I've been there too and in the end, you just have to come to terms with there are those that will listen to someone else's point of view and understand and also those who won't listen to another's opinion and never will.

With that said, this is still one of the better R/V sites on the 'net for having good information and knowledgeable folks . Kudos to all that make it that way.
You're right taking the I'm not going to participate isn't really the good approach. I think it's less that I don't want to participate because of that it's more so that I am passionate about things, this being one of them. I've been around for quite a few years and have seen the same as you. Many have come many have gone. I try to come around periodically but in this life of mine there's only so much time to give.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-09-2023, 07:21 PM   #49
Who Dares, Wins

After my postings and reflecting upon what I said, I don't mean to make it sound like I'm trying to be the negative Nelly. By no means am I trying to off-put the great forum that we have here and the great people that run it. And those that continue to post here to help those that need the help.

I just find it very time-consuming and frustrating at times to myself. But I have to remember I once started with no knowledge of anything and lost a set of eyebrows and half a beard by trying to manually light my hot water heater one time in my pop-up. So I've definitely learned a lot and you're right now it's time for me to try to give back.

I also know that I have met many of you online and physically met many of you at the rallies and Ford friendships from those that I've met here. Thank you

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 01-09-2023, 07:32 PM   #50

Doc73 I just wanted you to know your comments were missed when you went for a year or so without speaking. As I recall you was a state trooper in PA and I really appreciated your thoughts on diving law issues.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, breaker, wfco