Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #21

What wire did he have you switch?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #22

Took the black hot wire out of the bottom breaker and moved it to another breaker to rule out a faulty breaker. When I flipped the other breaker, it didn't immediately trip like the other. Instead, smoke came up from the single white square ceramic capacitor. He had me checking all over the place for continuity, shorts and removing fuses etc. I was realty hoping for a simple fix. Although changing out the MBA is pretty easy. I was hoping for something cheaper.
jedagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedagi View Post
Well I kept calling best converter today. The lady told me Randy was out of the office but she called him and had him call me. He seemed a bit irritated but loosened up a bit near the end of the conversation. I described my problem. He said I needed a new converter board and assured my it was simple to replace. I have yet to run upon anything I couldn't do in my 46 years so he's probably right. I'm still going to call WFCO Monday and go through the diagnostic steps to be certain. I hate that I bought a "never used" TT and am having to replace components. I guess it could have gotten a little lightning in its life setting in that metal bldg plugged in.
thanks for all the advice.
Maybe this is the problem.
I also bought a very lightly used TT, it's an 04 and before I took it out on the first trip the converter went out. The problem I had with the replacement board was that WFCO changed the design of the board and the plastic mounting plate that it sits on. It didn't fit into the converter box. WFCO and Best Converter didn't have any of the old design replacement boards in stock and I ended up having to change out the box as well. WFCO sent me a new box for $20.00 but it was a PITA. You might want to check with WFCO on the part number of your board and see if your unit was before or after the design change.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #24

has anyone tried to repair one of these at the component level?
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #25

I'm thinking about trying to repair mine after I get the new one. Use the new one to check readings to determine what's bad.
jedagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #26

Without looking at it, my first thought is a diode. Either reverse polarity protection or a bridge (or its individual parts). Sounds like there confidence that the transformer is good.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedagi View Post
Took the black hot wire out of the bottom breaker and moved it to another breaker to rule out a faulty breaker. When I flipped the other breaker, it didn't immediately trip like the other. Instead, smoke came up from the single white square ceramic capacitor. He had me checking all over the place for continuity, shorts and removing fuses etc. I was realty hoping for a simple fix. Although changing out the MBA is pretty easy. I was hoping for something cheaper.
Did you move from a 15amp to 20amp breaker. That will let the smoke out. I would change out the board & see if you can repair the old board for a spare.