Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #1

WFCO converter - no shore power

I was plugged into park power and running the air conditioner yesterday when the 120V power went out in the trailer. I checked the pedestal and power cord, both were good. My Progressive EMS reported no errors, (and 0 amp draw) and there was power at the female end of the power cord where it connects to the trailer. No breakers were tripped on the WFCO.

When I start the on-board generator, I get power and everything works, including the air conditioner. All 12V items work as expected.

I am going to start calling dealers tomorrow morning to see about replacing the converter - but before I do, is there something simple I could do or check to confirm that the converter needs replacement?

Thanks

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
vocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

what makes you think there is any issue with the converter. it takes 120 volt ac power and converts it to 12 vdc power.

you stated that you lost all 120 volt power from the pedestal. losing that would also cause the converter to stop working as it needs 120 volt power to operate.

the 120 volt power must have a problem between where it enters and the input to the transfer switch.

i could be the transfer switch but more likely there is a connection in the power path that is fried and finally fell apart.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Check the power at the input side of the distribution panel. The converter has nothing to do with your 120VAC power. How do you connect the generator power? do you have an automatic transfer switch or do you have to plug the RV into it?. If auto transfer switch it could be damages and stuck on Gen input.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Check the power at the input side of the distribution panel. The converter has nothing to do with your 120VAC power. How do you connect the generator power? do you have an automatic transfer switch or do you have to plug the RV into it?. If auto transfer switch it could be damages and stuck on Gen input.
There's an automatic transfer switch for the gen. Would the transfer switch be external to the converter? My converter has both 12VDC ' fuses for the lights, water pump etc. and house-style circuit breakers for outlets, GFCI, Air Cond. and a "main" 30A breaker.

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
Old 08-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post

i could be the transfer switch but more likely there is a connection in the power path that is fried and finally fell apart.
I started down this path tonight - I examined the receptacle on the side of the trailer, and all 3 connections are tight. I'll have to get under the bed this week and look at the wiring behind the converter for damage.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
There's an automatic transfer switch for the gen. Would the transfer switch be external to the converter? My converter has both 12VDC ' fuses for the lights, water pump etc. and house-style circuit breakers for outlets, GFCI, Air Cond. and a "main" 30A breaker.
That’s not your converter; that’s your power distribution panel. The converter (120vAC to 12vDC) is usually behind/near that panel.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

i recommend that you stop everything until you understand what you are looking at. get a cheap to check for presence or absence of 120 volt power.

you have said your ems shows 120 volts 0 amps. this is at the input side of the ems. put you meter on the output side to verify that it is passing power. then plug in your shore power cable and test again at the other end of the cable. do this for each and every connection in the shore power path up to the input of the auto transfer switch.

your distribution panel with all the circuit breakers and fuses, plus the converter, is after the auto transfer switch. you say all works fine on generator power. this says all the circuits breakers and fuses, plus the converter, are working fine when on generator power. stop worrying about them. they work! you're problem is you are not getting 120 volt power from the power pedestal up to the transfer switch.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

you've probably lost your NEUTRAL connection, possibly at your MALE end of your shore cord.

If your generator powers everything correctly, then you have NO problems 'within' the coach - and your 'converter' is not part of the equation for these symptoms - only your 120v power.(breaker panel)
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #9

Why the neutral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
you've probably lost your NEUTRAL connection, possibly at your MALE end of your shore cord.

If your generator powers everything correctly, then you have NO problems 'within' the coach - and your 'converter' is not part of the equation for these symptoms - only your 120v power.(breaker panel)
Why would it be the neutral? Wouldn't you have exactly the same symptoms if it were the hot lead?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #10

Quick update - I’m back in business. One of the wires connecting the trailer power connector to the transfer switch had come off at the connector. Thankfully, I didn’t have to dig into or replace the converter/ATS/distribution panel as I had originally thought.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know that you got it fixed and what it was.
A lot of times we try to help and never hear the outcome.

Thanks Again.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #12

With the incidence of problems at the inlet on these later campers. An inspection at delivery of these connections sounds to be in order.
Rick the Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #13

I can't disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Rocket View Post
With the incidence of problems at the inlet on these later campers. An inspection at delivery of these connections sounds to be in order.
I can't disagree. The problem is you need to inspect the connections on the back side of the connector that's in the exterior wall. But you generally cannot get to the back side. The front side is sealed with butyl tape on the flange. Once it's screwed to the exterior wall, a bead of caulk is applied around the edges to prevent the butyl from "weeping" and catching a ring of dirt and dust.

Even people like me who like to take things apart would be a little reluctant to take this apart and then redo the sealing process.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, power, shore power, wfco