Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #1

WFCO strikes again.

After reading the forum for several years now, I thought I was lucky. We leave the camper plugged into shore power over the summer and I have been in the habit of checking the charging voltage at least once a week. Yesterday I checked and it was at 12.6 volts. I turned the water pump on and it dropped to 10.5. After disconnecting the battery, voltage went up to 13.8 and dropped to 13.5 with the pump running. Battery appears to be ok. Put a full charge on it and reinstalled. So far, WFCO is still at 13.8 volts and no sign of dropping to the normal 13.2 volt float charge. New PD 4655mba?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmcdonald View Post
After reading the forum for several years now, I thought I was lucky. We leave the camper plugged into shore power over the summer and I have been in the habit of checking the charging voltage at least once a week. Yesterday I checked and it was at 12.6 volts. I turned the water pump on and it dropped to 10.5. After disconnecting the battery, voltage went up to 13.8 and dropped to 13.5 with the pump running. Battery appears to be ok. Put a full charge on it and reinstalled. So far, WFCO is still at 13.8 volts and no sign of dropping to the normal 13.2 volt float charge. New PD 4655mba?
Puzzled. The battery voltage went up when you disconnected it from the Converter?

Or was it the Converter output voltage that went up when you disconnected the battery?

If so, it's possible you have a bad battery.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Puzzled. The battery voltage went up when you disconnected it from the Converter?

Or was it the Converter output voltage that went up when you disconnected the battery?

If so, it's possible you have a bad battery.
Converter output voltage went up. I put the battery on an automotive charger for a several hours and then switched to a Battery Minder. Battery Minder indicated 80% charge and indicated full charge overnight. I'm going to run the battery down to get load tested tomorrow. If the battery is bad, I'm going to take this opportunity to switch to (2) 6V.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Quick and last update. WFCO is OK...maybe! Battery did not pass the load test with flying colors. I do have it charged back up to a point where the converter goes into float mode. However, when I do the water pump check, voltage drops from 13.3 idle to 12.4 with the pump running and on shore power. Battery capacity is not where it once was.

Tags
wfco