Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

WFCO WF-9850L2 lithium converter reviews?

Just upgraded to a single Battleborn 100AH battery. Don't boondock but a couple nights a year and it is a long "Guys" weekend so we don't hardly use any electricity at all. Ordered the Progressive Dynamics lithium converter but now thinking about sending it back because it stays at 14.6 volts always and we are always hooked up except that one weekend I mentioned. There is some talk this would be detrimental to the battery to always be at 14.6 volts. The WFCO 9850L2 sounds perfect as it only stays at 14.6 for a max of 4 hours then goes to 13.6. So if it is so perfect why is there no buzz about it on the web, all anybody talks about are the other brands? Just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
Just upgraded to a single Battleborn 100AH battery. Don't boondock but a couple nights a year and it is a long "Guys" weekend so we don't hardly use any electricity at all. Ordered the Progressive Dynamics lithium converter but now thinking about sending it back because it stays at 14.6 volts always and we are always hooked up except that one weekend I mentioned. There is some talk this would be detrimental to the battery to always be at 14.6 volts. The WFCO 9850L2 sounds perfect as it only stays at 14.6 for a max of 4 hours then goes to 13.6. So if it is so perfect why is there no buzz about it on the web, all anybody talks about are the other brands? Just wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks
If you install a battery shutoff switch your converter will handle all your 12 volt needs while plugged in. Just turn on battery switch when boondocking or on the road. This will prevent long periods of float charge and you will have battery during stops anong the road as well as emergency brakes.

When boondocking just leave switch on and turn off once battery is recharged.

Don't believe that the WFCO will stay at 13.8 after four hours. Their converters often reset to Bulk rate every time there is a drop in voltage like when furnace is running and water pump is used.

WFCO converters do not always perform as advertised.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 AM   #3

I actually have installed a battery cutoff switch. Never thought about using it other than when trailer in storage. What a great idea. Thanks, just might keep PD converter now. Dan
Old 05-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #4

Quote:
I have a PD4655L Wildkat converter and it does great with our BB batteries, with any LiFePO4 I would recommend a master battery disconnect switch. I let mine sit at around 80% SOC when not in use and while the trailer is hooked to shore power (which our is 100% of the time while at home).

I turn the battery disconnected switch on while traveling to provide power for the break-away brake controller.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #5

If it did do exactly what it says it does, it sounds ideal.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Yes, sounds to me like it would be ideal also. Guess I have a decision to make, keep the PD and manage the charge manually or get the WFCO and just leave it on hopefully. Just wish there were some reviews to confirm its operation.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Unfortunately they made a lot of claims for their non-lithium converters that didn't actually work the way they said.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

I believe that your Battle Born (BB) battery has an internal battery management system (BMS) that automatically shuts off the charge when the battery is fully charged. Your battery should be charged at a constant voltage, over 14v, to fully charge it. Lithium type batteries do not charge like lead acid cells with three or more charge rates that change with the battery charge state.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I believe that your Battle Born (BB) battery has an internal battery management system (BMS) that automatically shuts off the charge when the battery is fully charged. Your battery should be charged at a constant voltage, over 14v, to fully charge it. Lithium type batteries do not charge like lead acid cells with three or more charge rates that change with the battery charge state.

Phil
I think you are correct. I am no electrical engineer but what I am reading that while there is no current going into the battery the PD is holding the voltage up to 14.6 indefinitely. Battleborn is even saying after 2 to 3 weeks of 14.6 there could be damage. Most people using this battery are regularly cycling (using) their batteries so it's not an issue. I am not cycling or using my battery for long periods of time so it is supposedly an issue. I don't fully understand it but I guess I have to deal with it somehow! Thanks.
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid toad
Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Unfortunately they made a lot of claims for their non-lithium converters that didn't actually work the way they said.
Yes, my current converter is a WFCO 9855 3 stage. I have never seen it go into Bulk mode which would be 14.4 volts in 3 years.
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid toad
Old 05-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, sounds to me like it would be ideal also. Guess I have a decision to make, keep the PD and manage the charge manually or get the WFCO and just leave it on hopefully. Just wish there were some reviews to confirm its operation.
If you go for it, please report back!

Other than the incredibly expensive hybrid inverters which are very flexible in their programming to set up ideal voltage parameters, this seems like the only alternative.
Amazing to me really, that products that purport to be lithium compatible are only partially so. I get that in my case, and many others, we are smart enough to use it effectively and safely BUT: There should be more plug and play solutions that folks can just use. I.E. charge to 14.6, and then float until a trip voltage and repeat if that voltage is hit.

If I don’t spend the cabbage for a hybrid inverter, I will likely go for this unit.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
If you go for it, please report back!

Will do.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post

Phil
Exactly.

Keep the battery around 80% SOC and turned off with the battery disconnect switch when not in use. When you need to use the battery, charge to 100% SOC and use the battery. When you're going to go back on shore power and not planning on using your battery for over three weeks or so, draw the battery back down to around 80% before disconnecting it with the switch.

This might sound like a burden, but once you do it you'll find that it's a very easy process. You don't want your BB battery sitting there indefinitely charging while not in use even at a lower voltage, you don't want to keep them stored for over about three weeks at 100% SOC.

The PD converter will work great and I would venture to guess work much better than the WFCO.

And about the "only stays at 14.6V for four hours", your BB battery can be charged from 0% SOC to 100% SOC in well under four hours, so what makes the WFCO so perfect for LiFePO4?

https://battlebornbatteries.com/prog...tery-chargers/

Michael M | Dec 17, 2019 at 7:16 am
I have a PD4655LIV Converter with the jumper set for Lithium, along with two BB10012 batteries. I’ve heard that the PD Converter is a single stage charger and delivers a constant 14.4 volts…I don’t believe it goes into a float stage. Will the lack of a float stage damage the batteries? Is there a different setting for the PD Converter that I should be using?

Battle Born | Dec 19, 2019 at 10:10 am
Hi Michael,

You are correct, the PD4655liv when setup for lithium has a setpoint voltage of 14.4 and that’s it. After our batteries are charged then the amperage is backed down to nearly nothing but the voltage stays at the 14.4 volts and this is essentially a float stage. This voltage will not harm the battery and is fine to leave plugged in for up to 3 weeks at a time when not cycling power in and out of the battery. If you are using power out of the batteries then you can leave this converter plugged in without any issues at all.

Thanks!
Jesse

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #14

I returned the Progressive Dynamics converter for the WFCO 9850L2 and installed it yesterday. The Battleborn 100AH battery was fully charged and the 9850L2 worked as advertised. 14.6 volts .15 amps for 1 hour then down to 13.64 volts 0 amps ever since. Going on a trip soon and I will give an update if anything unusual comes up with the converter. So far I am very glad I made the switch, looks like a set it and forget it solution for my situation.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
I returned the Progressive Dynamics converter for the WFCO 9850L2 and installed it yesterday. The Battleborn 100AH battery was fully charged and the 9850L2 worked as advertised. 14.6 volts .15 amps for 1 hour then down to 13.64 volts 0 amps ever since. Going on a trip soon and I will give an update if anything unusual comes up with the converter. So far I am very glad I made the switch, looks like a set it and forget it solution for my situation.
Great news, I am liking that one so much more than PDs constant output! Crazy that PD thinks that is a solution, it seems that their other products are fairly high tech, and they are essentially marketing a regulated power supply.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Great news, I am liking that one so much more than PDs constant output! Crazy that PD thinks that is a solution, it seems that their other products are fairly high tech, and they are essentially marketing a regulated power supply.
For Boondockers the fixed voltage of a PD "Lithium" converter is probably a non issue. Many recharge using solar and solar controllers not only have a lower absorbtion voltage but limit it's time too. If using the converter to charge it's mostly when running a generator. Many just shut off the converter when plugged in for storage.

WFCO's information certainly paints it with glowing colors and it could well be the perfect option for those who have Lithium batteries but spend most of their time tethered to a power post.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
For Boondockers the fixed voltage of a PD "Lithium" converter is probably a non issue. Many recharge using solar and solar controllers not only have a lower absorbtion voltage but limit it's time too. If using the converter to charge it's mostly when running a generator. Many just shut off the converter when plugged in for storage.

WFCO's information certainly paints it with glowing colors and it could well be the perfect option for those who have Lithium batteries but spend most of their time tethered to a power post.

For those of us who intend to do 50/50, it is really a more perfect solution.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #18

Quote:
For those of us who intend to do 50/50, it is really a more perfect solution.
If you are doing 50/50 then just turn off the battery disconnect so that the battery sits idle. The converters are designed to power your trailer without the battery hooked up. Solves the problem.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If you are doing 50/50 then just turn off the battery disconnect so that the battery sits idle. The converters are designed to power your trailer without the battery hooked up. Solves the problem.
I get that, so would the proper converter that functions as designed?
Old 05-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
I get that, so would the proper converter that functions as designed?
As with pretty much everything in life, it's your choice.

Some would prefer to just spend ~$30 for a disconnect rather than ~$230 for a "two stage".

Chances are they'll spend the $30 for a shutoff anyway for storage purposes.

Tags
converter, wfco