Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

WFCP 8955 Converter Fan Issue?

Hi, everyone! New trailer owner and first post. I've been reading through the forum and it's been helpful. But I do have one issue. Apologies in advance, I'm a novice around electrical systems . . .

I have a 2010 Wolf Pup I bought last week in like-new condition. The only issue that I've run into is that the WFCO 8955, silent at the previous owners house (as I recall), but he was plugged into 110v all winter up to and including my purchase. I bought it, took it home, and have it parked in my driveway. I didn't plug 110 in for the first few days.

The converter fan must have kicked on during the initial drive home, and has remained on ever since. I've checked every light/switch/appliance and all are off. I've removed and replaced all the fuses, and flipped all the circuit breakers. I've checked the brake disconnect pin, removed and replaced it back into position. I don't know exactly where the ground wire is, but I looked at all wires under the vehicle and none look frayed or disconnected.

I checked the battery with a voltmeter I just bought, and as I just learned I did the test incorrectly as it was still wired into the trailer. The 110v was not connected. The display said 12.26v. The battery is original, and I suspect that I need to disconnect it in the AM and let it sit for a while, then re-test?

In any case, I have a backup appt set for this week with the local RV dealer to look at the issue, as I'm confident the fan shouldn't be running all the time, especially with no observable draw. I'm hoping it's just the battery.

Anyway, I'm more than willing to take all ideas and advice on what it might be or what I should do, especially if it will help save a little cost at the dealer. I think this trailer will be lots of fun for me and my two daughters. I can't wait to use it!

Thanks in advance!

James
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

I'm no WFCO expert, but I do know that "normally" the fan only operates when the converter is under load, and that cannot be the case with the 110 disconnected.

If the fan is running with the 110 disconnected, it points to a defective thermal switch ( the device that tells the fan when the converter is getting hot) which is always closed.

Don't laugh, but you can try rapping the WFCO in an attempt to jar the thermal switch into opening and turning the fan off.

I do not think that your battery can cause this problem.

IF the fan is running continuously, it will drain the battery (unless you plug in the 110 to allow the WFCO to keep the battery up. If you cannot plug in, I would recommend that you disconnect the battery to prevent draining the battery.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks, I appreciate the input! I confirmed that the fan runs with the battery connected and w/out 110, and with 110 connected and w/out the battery. Also, the battery is producing about 13.1v disconnected (is that normal?).

So, your idea about the thermal switch sounds sounds spot-on. I rapped on it to no avail; I'll see what the dealer says on Thursday about replacing it. If it's simple I might try to order the part and replace it myself.

Thanks again - I appreciate the lead!

James
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the input! I confirmed that the fan runs with the battery connected and w/out 110, and with 110 connected and w/out the battery. Also, the battery is producing about 13.1v disconnected (is that normal?).

So, your idea about the thermal switch sounds sounds spot-on. I rapped on it to no avail; I'll see what the dealer says on Thursday about replacing it. If it's simple I might try to order the part and replace it myself.

Thanks again - I appreciate the lead!

James
James welcome to the forum!

Converter replacement is what you need here.
The circuit board controller is not functioning properly.
Fan is 12v but should only run when shore power is hooked up an there's a high 12v demand.
You can replace fairly easy yourself.
This is an example but price around.

http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-89...bly_c_116.html

I would imo replace the wfco with a progressive dynamics brand of equal size.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/
Slight modification to wfco case may be needed to install progressive dynamics converter unit into wfco case but worth the upgrade!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Thanks for all the help! I called Best Converter and he suggested a replacement unit. It's on the way.

I'm hopeful the replacement isn't too technical as electrical systems aren't really my thing . . . but I'll figure it out. Ideally, I'll get it in before the weekend so I can take the maiden voyage out - heading to Capitol Reef!

James