Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
JTD

solar panels

Thanks for all of the replies to my solar panel inquiry.

To update: We got the Renogy 100W suitcase for $260. Took it out last weekend. In the morning, after setting up at about 5 PM the afternoon before, batteries were at 1/3. Hooked up the panel to the batteries w/ the alligator clips and batteries came up to full in about 3-4 hours in full sun. They went down to 2/3 overnight, but came back up to full in the morning. Panels worked great for our use. No need for 110 v power for us boondocking. Very pleased. Looks like we could boondock indefinitely with decent sunlight as batteries come up to full within a few hours - not all day. ordered a wire kit and adaptor for reverse polarity on the SAE plug mounted to the trailer.
JTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post

To update: We got the Renogy 100W suitcase for $260. Took it out last weekend. In the morning, after setting up at about 5 PM the aft......... Looks like we could boondock indefinitely with decent sunlight as batteries come up to full within a few hours - not all day. ordered a wire kit and adaptor for reverse polarity on the SAE plug mounted to the trailer.

Congrats. You are obviously frugal 12v users and ain't it nice to not worry about were to hook up or how long to listen to the generator. You know, the setup you have will not overcharge so you can let sit at Float rate right up to sunset. The batteries will be in even better shape in the morning.
Then of course lock it up so it isn't charging somebody else's batteries tomorrow.

My experience only--- fast got tired of the loose panel and just put two, flat on the roof. Next you will get spoiled and start using a bit more power😁. Good job ignoring the nah Sayers. My guess is if they ever tried it (solar) they would love it too.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTD View Post

To update: We got the Renogy 100W suitcase for $260. Took it out last weekend. In the morning, after setting up at about 5 PM the afternoon before, batteries were at 1/3. Hooked up the panel to the batteries w/ the alligator clips and batteries came up to full in about 3-4 hours in full sun. They went down to 2/3 overnight, but came back up to full in the morning. Panels worked great for our use. No need for 110 v power for us boondocking. Very pleased. Looks like we could boondock indefinitely with decent sunlight as batteries come up to full within a few hours - not all day. ordered a wire kit and adaptor for reverse polarity on the SAE plug mounted to the trailer.
Quote:
Congrats. You are obviously frugal 12v users and ain't it nice to not worry about were to hook up or how long to listen to the generator. You know, the setup you have will not overcharge so you can let sit at Float rate right up to sunset. The batteries will be in even better shape in the morning.
Then of course lock it up so it isn't charging somebody else's batteries tomorrow.

My experience only--- fast got tired of the loose panel and just put two, flat on the roof. Next you will get spoiled and start using a bit more power😁. Good job ignoring the nah Sayers. My guess is if they ever tried it (solar) they would love it too.
Today 06:47 PM
I know very little about solar but would like to learn. Maybe some numbers here would help sort out some confusion I'm having on the OP's setup.

Just guessing that the OP has the "typical" Interstate dual purpose battery that dealers love to install. Those batteries are around 80AH (I think) so if discharged to ~1/3 that would mean you need ~54AH to replenish.

On another thread I was recently reading someone who is very pro solar (100's of watts, multiple Battle Born batteries,...) said that a 100w panel would give you about 5 amps of charging, and in a typical day with "5 equivalent solar hours" you would get about 25AH for that 100W panel. I believe that they were talking about roof mounted panel so an ideally place portable panel chasing the sun would do a bit better.

If my above guess at the OP's battery capacity is close, to recharge his batteries in ~4 hours would require close to 13.5 amps of charging. This would mean that his 100W panel is pushing out much closer to 200W.

Like I said I'm a total solar newbie, so what am I missing here?

Thanks
Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar