Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

What to set the "remaining capacity" to

I recently bought a pair of 215 AH 6V golf cart batteries and installed them on our TT. I have one of the inexpensive battery monitors (this one) and I have a question regarding what to set the remaining capacity (in AH's) to. Since it is a brand new set of batteries and they are now fully charged, I would think setting it to 215 AH would be OK. However, I could also see setting it a bit lower so that I have a "cushion" to keep me form discharging them too low (obviously I'd be watching the voltage as well).

I have also seen some folks that say not to discharge beyond half of your batteries AH capacity. I thought that I had the full 215 AH available to me and when I used that I would see somewhere around 12.2 volts.

So what is the proper setting/info?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I recently bought a pair of 215 AH 6V golf cart batteries and installed them on our TT. I have one of the inexpensive battery monitors (this one) and I have a question regarding what to set the remaining capacity (in AH's) to. Since it is a brand new set of batteries and they are now fully charged, I would think setting it to 215 AH would be OK. However, I could also see setting it a bit lower so that I have a "cushion" to keep me form discharging them too low (obviously I'd be watching the voltage as well).

I have also seen some folks that say not to discharge beyond half of your batteries AH capacity. I thought that I had the full 215 AH available to me and when I used that I would see somewhere around 12.2 volts.

So what is the proper setting/info?
With the lower cost monitors that only have "Amps out, Amps In, calculators I'd just set the capacity for half your battery bank's stated AH capacity. Then you'll see when you've discharged them as much as you should (50%) with plenty of safe margin.

In reality, if you don't compensate your voltage readings for temperature the amount of "capacity" you have remaining can be way off. Cold temps will reduce capacity but extend battery life. Hot will increase capacity but kill battery life.

Quote:
what is the proper setting/info?

Whatever you want it to be.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Thanks TitanMike!

Is there any sort of temperature compensation chart available?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Thanks TitanMike!

Is there any sort of temperature compensation chart available?
There are dozens posted online. Sorry but I cant send you a link right now. Just google "deep cycle state of charge charts" and pick one that includes a temperature column along with voltages and soc percentages
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote