Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

What's the biggest Zamp solar panel I can hook up?

Yet another dreaded wake up by the low voltage CO alarm. Not really a fan of waking up to that screech, so we want to hook a solar panel and the old lady won't allow anything but the Zamp. Main question is how big a panel can I purchase and still use the factory plug on the side.

We normally stay at campgrounds but boondocked at my parents this Thanksgiving. Going to a dual battery setup soon since the single couldn't handle one night with nothing on but the heater. I know I can hook up a 40 watt panel, but can I install an 80 watt instead? We really want to go off grid a bit more but not without a reliable charging setup. Thanks in advance for any help on the matter!
chuk_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

Check Portable RV Solar - Largest Selection - Zamp Solar
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Other than being a complete waste of money, I don't think you will be happy with the 40w, it would be considered a battery maintainer at 2.3A output, the 80w is only marginally better @ 4.6A. Keep in mind that this would not be continuous output, this is output in perfect conditions during peak sun.
My personal preference would be their 200w panel @11.42A (especially if you go with a dual battery setup), and at very least the 120w which puts out 6.84A.
BTW, Go power uses the same plug, and will work with no issues even though Zamp puts a sticker on the unit that warns you to use Zamp only. (other systems will work as well)
The plug on your unit is just a positive and negative connection to the 12v system in your trailer.
If you are worried about the wiring being too small to support a larger panel, just add the kit that enables you to plug the portable system straight into the battery bank.

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:52 AM   #4

Thanks mikakuja, that's pretty much the explanation I was looking for. My concern was that and if there was a limit to the prewired outlet. Some research later, I got my answer of 200W as the max recommendation for my particular application. You explained the info provided by SailorSam20500 in lay terms and I appreciate that since electrical was never really my forte.

I went ahead and purchased an 80W panel for now since it was a steal. Paid half the average 40W price listed on the web, so it'll do for now. The rig went in this morning at 9:30 AM and was fixed by 4:00 PM. Turns out there were wire remnants left behind the breaker panel, guessing at time of manufacture since it's a year old, that had vibrated into the back and caused a short. The microwave is dead and a replacement was ordered. The main GFI died and it too was replaced.

Looking forward to our next trip for Christmas. We will be heading to Long Point Park off A1A and testing what the panel output is with some Florida sunshine, fingers crossed! It will also be the first trip using the Furrion observation camera. Really like the resolution on the screen, if a bit smaller than I prefer.
chuk_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

100 watts bare minimum if you have good sun access, 200 watts would be better yet. I have come to the conclusion that 200 watts is probably the minimum viable system for most conditions. Northern climates (lower sun angles), partial shade, etc will require even more.

I have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase panel and it will usually keep up with my use here in the Deep South. If I have a partially cloudy day, or a very cold night it won't do it, so I run the generator for a couple of hours.

However I am a very light power user. My primary use is the water pump, fridge control board and the furnace on a cold night. I have all LED lighting and don't watch much television if any.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel