Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

What's the power draw on my outside kitchen Refrigerator?

My MicroLite 25BDS came with a "PD" brand refrigerator in the outside kitchen. 120 volt only and the size of a college dorm refrigerator without freezer compartment inside. Just refrigerator.

What is the power consumption of this refrigerator? Anyone know? I've looked all over for specs and can't find any and I really don't want to remove the unit to see if there is something on the back. Looking at similar units for sale in various outlets even they don't go farther than just listing "120 Volt, 60 hz" on them.

I'm considering a small Inverter just for this refrigerator and want to buy one large enough, but not overly large. My other inverter for entertainment system is mounted at the other end of my TT and I prefer not to run extra wiring. The power distribution panel (fed by a #4 awg wire) is 18" above the power cord for the refrigerator so mounting the inverter right under the refrigerator is a piece of cake. Space is there and a short wire run to 12 v.

Just need to know what the power draw is. Anyone?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

I have a small “dorm” size fridge in my garage. I just happen to have had it connected to my Kill-a-watt. KAW says it has used 2.71 kwh for 146 hours. The garage is heated, so the fridge has been in a 72 Deg F room.
I was pulling a power check because I am thinking of adding it to the RV via an inverter.

This should give you a bit of information.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #3

That says his reefer averages 18 watts, but it doesn't run all the time so that doesn't account for actual duty factor. Let's say it runs 15 minutes per hour which would mean that it actually draws 72 watts...when it runs.

Get a 300 watt unit, should be no problem. PSW is possible...don't know how regular compressors like MSW. You wouldn't know until the compressor burns out.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #4

They typically can draw around 100W but may have an inrush current of 5 times normal operating current.

Better have a decent size battery bank and not 2 RV Interstate batteries.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
That says his reefer averages 18 watts, but it doesn't run all the time so that doesn't account for actual duty factor. Let's say it runs 15 minutes per hour which would mean that it actually draws 72 watts...when it runs.

Get a 300 watt unit, should be no problem. PSW is possible...don't know how regular compressors like MSW. You wouldn't know until the compressor burns out.
No motor really "Likes" MSW power. They tend to get very hot.

I was guessing it would be close to 100 watts and if it's like most refrigerators I've owned it will run less than half the time it's turned on. I'm interested in keeping it cold while driving down the road while I'll have some power coming in from tow vehicle.

Rest of the time I'll have solar or generator available to keep things going. As there is only one of us using it, the door won't be opened and closed like refrigerators in a house with teenagers (where they're open longer than they're closed, it seems )

Appreciate the input.

Babcock---

I already have an inverter with SST (Soft Start Technology) built in and have found a 300 watt unit with same. The SST should reduce the inrush current sufficiently that a 300 watt unit will be more than enough.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I already have an inverter with SST (Soft Start Technology) built in and have found a 300 watt unit with same. The SST should reduce the inrush current sufficiently that a 300 watt unit will be more than enough.
Then you are set!

Out of curiosity, which 300W inverter do you have?
Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post

Motors tend to be less efficient and more prone to heating on MSW but PSW is usually less efficient and therefor has more ambient draw/loss. I would err on the side of PSW and make sure it is large enough to handle the motor start surge. I doubt they use a high efficiency frig like the Dometic Compressor models.

Please report your final outcome as this issue may affect others.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Motors tend to be less efficient and more prone to heating on MSW but PSW is usually less efficient and therefor has more ambient draw/loss. I would err on the side of PSW and make sure it is large enough to handle the motor start surge. I doubt they use a high efficiency frig like the Dometic Compressor models.

Please report your final outcome as this issue may affect others.
I do know that the refrigerator only models (no freezer "box" } don't have very large compressor units to start with. They only have to cool to 37 degrees or so, not down to 0.

I'm hitting the road on Tuesday morning and when I get to my destination I'll have plenty of time to fiddle. Have a clamp on ammeter that I will use to see both inrush and running currents. Will decide on Inverter size then.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll post my findings sometime in the middle of January

Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Our Mini Lite 2509S has an outside kitchen w/refrig and the unit is AC. That means that it only works on shore power, not while driving down the road
-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
Our Mini Lite 2509S has an outside kitchen w/refrig and the unit is AC. That means that it only works on shore power, not while driving down the road
-Rich
That's why you use an inverter.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #11

45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, refrigerator