Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

where is my connection?

I have a Grey Wolf 26DBH and I'm trying to trace the wiring from the shore power connection on the back side of the camper to the control/fuse panel. The wire at the connector is a solid, orange colored Romex #10 wire that goes into the wall cavity in an upwardly direction. The two wires at the fuse panel are stranded #6 or #8 red and white wires which is on the opposite wall from the shore power connection and beneath the fridge. Anyone have any idea where I might find where these two different wires come together? I'm guessing the shore power connection, i..e. the orange Romex goes up the wall and into the ceiling where it connects somewhere with those in the fuse box. Any suggestions where I should look? Behind the fridge?

2016 Lariat Screw w/3.5 EB
cajun bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

You are confusing two different power sources. Your TT has both 120VAC and 12VDC power.

The orange #10 romex is the 120VAC wiring coming into the power center. Inside this #10 romex is a black hot wire, a white neutral wire, and a bare or green ground wire. If your trailer is 30Amp the black wire should be connected to the main 30amp breaker. The white wire is connected to the neutral buss, and a bare copper or green wire connected to the ground buss. 120VAC connects to the breakers and supplies power to your air conditioner, converter, microwave and all outlets. The ground buss is also connected to the frame of your rv.

The red and white stranded wires are the 12VDC power. The red stranded wire is the positive wire from the 12 volt battery, the white stranded wire is the negative wire to the battery. The white stranded wire is also connected to the frame of the rv. 12VDC power is fused and operates everything else in your rv. This includes lights, vent fan, furnace controls and fan, refrigerator control board, stereo, and water pump.

Since your not familiar with the two power systems I suggest you do not mess with them without unplugging from shore power.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You are confusing two different power sources. Your TT has both 120VAC and 12VDC power.

The orange #10 romex is the 120VAC wiring coming into the power center. Inside this #10 romex is a black hot wire, a white neutral wire, and a bare or green ground wire. If your trailer is 30Amp the black wire should be connected to the main 30amp breaker. The white wire is connected to the neutral buss, and a bare copper or green wire connected to the ground buss. 120VAC connects to the breakers and supplies power to your air conditioner, converter, microwave and all outlets. The ground buss is also connected to the frame of your rv.

The red and white stranded wires are the 12VDC power. The red stranded wire is the positive wire from the 12 volt battery, the white stranded wire is the negative wire to the battery. The white stranded wire is also connected to the frame of the rv. 12VDC power is fused and operates everything else in your rv. This includes lights, vent fan, furnace controls and fan, refrigerator control board, stereo, and water pump.

Since your not familiar with the two power systems I suggest you do not mess with them without unplugging from shore power.

I know the difference between 12VDC and 110VAC, but you are correct that I was thinking the two large red/white stranded wires were AC, not DC. So, with that in mind and since my breakers for all AC systems are in this same control/breaker system, instead of looking for an orange romex, I should just look for a black, white and bare wire because the orange insulation was probably cut back? In other words, the orange incoming wire from the shore power connector probably goes in the ceiling area and then down to the control/braker panel system?

Old 05-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #4

Do as scrapper said. Find the black cable that is connected to the main breaker. This will be you incoming shore power. Trace it back to where it enters the panel. Once you find where it enters you should be able to also find the neutral and ground that enter within the same cable. As you said the colored outer insulation of this cable may have been cut off. Do not trace any black cables that originate on branch circuit breakers. The main breaker is you shore power termination.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
Do as scrapper said. Find the black cable that is connected to the main breaker. This will be you incoming shore power. Trace it back to where it enters the panel. Once you find where it enters you should be able to also find the neutral and ground that enter within the same cable. As you said the colored outer insulation of this cable may have been cut off. Do not trace any black cables that originate on branch circuit breakers. The main breaker is you shore power termination.

Agreed, only one technical correction, when you said "black cable", I think you meant black wire.

Thanks to all. I think that about covers it.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Just as confused as you

If you give us the model number of your power center/panel we can give you the installation manual showing how the incoming power is wired. The model number should be on or behind the door to the breakers/fuses. Shown on the left in the first pic.

Another thing to point out is in a 30 amp power center the 30 amp main breaker is the first one, whether it is the top breaker or on the end of the row of breakers and the only breaker of that size.

Attached is a photo of a 30 amp power center with the cover removed showing the orange cable and the black main feed wire circled. Second pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	(A) 30amp panel R-P fuses.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	254755   Click image for larger version

Name:	(B) 30A Amperage Testing.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	254756  
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Everyone gets confused at some time, some are better at hiding it than others.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote