Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Where to get white battery cable?

The PO of my trailer cut the white 8AWG ground cable for the battery. The splice was poor and came apart with very little effort. I want to replace it but I do not have the crimper, etc. for 8AWG cable and battery lugs. Where I can buy a pre-made replacement? Its only about 18" long... I have seen this exact thing in black/red but nowhere do I see white. Buying a roll of cable, fittings for both ends and a crimper is not a very economical solution...
JLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Carknocker Family

Buy either a black pre made or a red pre made. If it confuses you, buy a roll of white electrical tape and tape near ends to remind you the wire is supposed to be white
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Empty Nesters

You can buy 8 awg wire from Home Depot for .45c per foot (and they do sell it by the foot. You can also buy ring terminals that screw down on the wire so no crimper is required. $2.77 for a pack of two.

just an option.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #4

our local napa auto parts store makes custom battery cables. don't know if all do, if other chains do, or if they have white. but no harm to ask.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

You may want to check out West Marine for white cable. Bit in all honesty the white tape or shrink tube approach is quite easy as you can economically order a premade black wire and mark it.
goreviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Check out solar interconnect cable. They have a lot of premade cables.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #7

Your local battery supplier will make custom cables for your battery connections.

FWIW, rather than replace the cable with #8, why not upgrade to the more common battery cable size of #6.

I'm in the midst of a project to replace all my wiring between battery and converter/charger with #4 awg stranded wire. The #8 may be adequate on paper but listen to your furnace sometime while running and you turn your converter off so it switches to battery power. The audible drop in speed is far less now that I have the larger wire between the battery on the tongue and the converter/power panel which is behind the rear axle.

You may never upgrade the positive side but there's nothing wrong with a larger gauge negative cable.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #8

Buy a red or black cable go to Walmart and buy white duct tape for 3.88 . Problem solved.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Buy either a black pre made or a red pre made. If it confuses you, buy a roll of white electrical tape and tape near ends to remind you the wire is supposed to be white
X2^^ Electricians do this all the time i houses
Old 06-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

Marine Battery Cable, Tinned Marine Grade Battery Cables : AWG Gauge Size Genuinedealz.com
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

X2 on NAPA making battery cables. I have gone to them and gave them the info of how long I needed along with + or - and they took care of me.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLamb View Post
The PO of my trailer cut the white 8AWG ground cable for the battery. The splice was poor and came apart with very little effort. I want to replace it but I do not have the crimper, etc. for 8AWG cable and battery lugs. Where I can buy a pre-made replacement? Its only about 18" long... I have seen this exact thing in black/red but nowhere do I see white. Buying a roll of cable, fittings for both ends and a crimper is not a very economical solution...
White should never be used as electrical cable. It does not adhere to any of the regulations and would just confuse any/everybody else (apart from you) as to the purpose of it. Use RED for +ve DC, BROWN for Active AC, BLACK for -ve DC, BLUE for Neutral AC. GREEN or GREEN with either a YELLOW or WHITE stripe for earth.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
White should never be used as electrical cable. It does not adhere to any of the regulations and would just confuse any/everybody else (apart from you) as to the purpose of it. Use RED for +ve DC, BROWN for Active AC, BLACK for -ve DC, BLUE for Neutral AC. GREEN or GREEN with either a YELLOW or WHITE stripe for earth.
That's not correct. Every camper I have seen, and owned, has white wire for the negative battery cable. The OP said he is replacing a white cable - not just adding one and choosing to use white.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

Usually most automotive battery cables are black for ground and red for positive, but not always as in our last camper the colors were reversed.........

I do not trust either or any color as the colors get switched. I always follow out where they end up before reattaching......... I have 2AWG on one of the Mustangs and they are both premade blue.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #15
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc1024 View Post
That's not correct. Every camper I have seen, and owned, has white wire for the negative battery cable. The OP said he is replacing a white cable - not just adding one and choosing to use white.
I realize that the RV industry is a completely random thing with no real regulation and certainly no oversee of anything, so builders (and rebuilders/repairers) can and do whatever they like however they like, (and they do). But when but comes down to fundamentals like wiring, why go against regulation and standards? Worse, why promote non-standards? Why make it confusing? Just because some use white cable doesn't mean that it should be used.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #16
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Usually most automotive battery cables are black for ground and red for positive, but not always as in our last camper the colors were reversed.........

I do not trust either or any color as the colors get switched. I always follow out where they end up before reattaching......... I have 2AWG on one of the Mustangs and they are both premade blue.

X2: I don't necessarily follow a cable run but do check with a multimeter.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:26 AM   #17

Quote:
In the US the color code for AC is as follows

Ground = Green or Bare Copper

White = Neutral

Any other color is a Positive or Hot wire. Black being the most commonly used.

In 12 volt systems for trailers connecting to vehicles, white is Ground, used to connect vehicle ground to trailers for grounding the lights.

The white color does not confuse anyone over here.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #18

Quote:
I realize that the RV industry is a completely random thing with no real regulation and certainly no oversee of anything, so builders (and rebuilders/repairers) can and do whatever they like however they like, (and they do). But when but comes down to fundamentals like wiring, why go against regulation and standards? Worse, why promote non-standards? Why make it confusing? Just because some use white cable doesn't mean that it should be used.
I respectfully disagree. The trailer light circuit has a white ground. My utility trailer with no brakes and a 4 prong flat plug uses white for ground. My new 5th wheel has white ground on the battery and white for neutral on the AC systems. While I agree that there is a real lack of standards in the RV industry telling the OP that it's wrong to replace existing white wire with new white is simply not correct.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #19

Quote:
That right there just ain't right. But you guys just ain't right anyway. White is in fact used as Neutral in AC electric in the States. Blue is, in fact, a HOT color in the US and in the National Electric Code.

Don't come over here and play electrician. You'll get kilt!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc1024 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The trailer light circuit has a white ground. My utility trailer with no brakes and a 4 prong flat plug uses white for ground. My new 5th wheel has white ground on the battery and white for neutral on the AC systems. While I agree that there is a real lack of standards in the RV industry telling the OP that it's wrong to replace existing white wire with new white is simply not correct.
X2

Tags
battery, cable