Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
2009 F450 2015 Cardinal

Which Battery Monitor to buy?

I am in the throes of ordering an upgrade to my existing solar array. I am pretty sure of what I want to do regarding panels, controller and a battery switch. I am hung up on which monitor would give my wife and I the easiest to access information that is useful and accurate. Here is the link for a comparison of some of them.

https://rv4campers.com/best-rv-battery-monitor/

I am interested in your opinions and rationales.

Thanks,

Anton & Sandy
AntonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #2

I had a Victron 712 on my sailboat and now have the Victron Smart Shunt on my TT. I really like the Smart Shunt the best. It was a TON easier to install since there were no wires to run to the inside of the trailer and it was cheaper. There isn't really a need to check the levels more than a couple of times a day and the Bluetooth function is just fine for that. I don't miss having a display at all.

Cheers!
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
2009 F450 2015 Cardinal

Thank you! That's useful information. Anton
Old 12-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
Always Learning

Victron or bust for me. I also did not install the display monitor. Just didn’t see the point since my phone is usually on or near me.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #5

Trimetric controller and monitor for me. I've had them on three rigs now, and they are top notch.

Plus, on the few occasions when I've had a question, their customer support has been outstanding -- actually, my conversations have been with the owner himself.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

If equipped with solar, for me the perfect combination is Victron. A BMV712 and a Smart MPPT solar controller (assuming panels are wired in series for efficiency).

The Solar controller will use the voltage sensed at the shunt (which should be mounted as close as possible to the batteries) and controls the solar charge current from this reference. This negates the effect of any voltage drop in the wire(s) feeding the batteries from the solar controller.

I have such a combination and after a couple years working with it I wouldn't even consider another brand no matter how much money I might save..

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #7

the Victron BMV-712 is the Best
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #8

Another vote for the Victron SmartShunt.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #9

victron smart shunt! 1/2 the cost of the full bmv712, easier to install, and does all the same things (except the relay). plus their customer service was great!
Old 12-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
2009 F450 2015 Cardinal

Thanks, everyone for your replies. There are loads of options out there. This helps!
Old 12-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #11

Victron is not the only best one

I looked at Victron but the price was a huge bite for me. My solar panels are Renogy and they also make a battery monitor. You can get a 500 Amp monitor for under $100. It works well. I didn't want to cut a rectangular hole in my paneling so I 3D printed a box to mount it in. Extremely low power consumption.

Might want to check them out before you spend a lot more for other brands. I also have a Bluetooth app for the solar controller that I really like.

Happy New Year.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #12

Given your list...the Victron 712 would top it for me. BUT...since you asked for the BEST...it isn't listed....and it's more expensive. The relatively new Balmar SG200 Self Learning Smart Gauge does everything the best of the gauges do...and it compensates for the loss of capacity and aging of your batteries automatically over time...it never needs a reset or stops being right. Compatible with many drop in Lithiums including Battleborn.
A complete review of the system is here if you are interested.
https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/

Price for 1 bank (+ V for starting batts) system is around $220. Bluetooth is optional extra as are extra shunts and gauges for more banks to be added.

If you REALLY depend on your battery system performing over time,,, the addition of a readout telling you WHAT % of original FULL battery life is available when 100% full today...may be worth the extra bucks to you.
The self learning function eliminates any set up fooling around as the unit adjusts itself to your actual set up over 1/2 dozen charging cycles. Smart.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:20 AM   #13

Can you clarify how you installed without installing the actual monitor? I had assumed, perhaps incorrectly that the bluetooth connection was in the monitor. Can you give a bit more detail on how you installed without the monitor and simply used the app. I would be fine with just the app, and would love to save the space and drilling to install the monitor.
garmanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #14

if you are going to use the bluetooth app and will not install the monitor get the smart shunt instead! it will do exactly what you want and is just over half the cost of the full monitor and shunt.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:18 AM   #15

Thanks I had finally figured that out after going to the Victron web site. Seems like a much cleaner solution than running wires, drilling holes and finding a place to mount a monitor. And it's cheaper, what's not to like.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmanmd View Post
Thanks I had finally figured that out after going to the Victron web site. Seems like a much cleaner solution than running wires, drilling holes and finding a place to mount a monitor. And it's cheaper, what's not to like.
Holes and running wires really isn't necessary for a BMV 712 installation unless you really want the meter for non-bluetooth functionality. Just install shunt, plug wire into shunt and meter, put meter in a zip-lock bag and secure out of the way where you can without extensive work.

The advantage of the 712? About 60 plus monitoring parameters AND the ability to have a relay controlled by many of those parameters.

Very handy with Lithium batteries where you may want to shut off converter when a given voltage or SOC has been reached, shut down when temps drop below a given temp, set off a louder alarm when SOC drops below a set level, and on, and so forth,

The reason the BMV-712 costs more is simply that it does more.

One question, with a Smart Shunt, where there is no meter available and all readings are on a smart phone, how does one tell the status of the battery bank when "The Smartphone has gone to town"?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #17

Well if you are in town, you can't see the monitor either. But I may be missing something. I haven't seen the list of 60 things the meter monitors, do you happen to have a link to that? Mine is a simpler installation as I have one lithium battery and no solar (at this point, maybe some day not sure). It seems you can set the same alarms for the app as for the monitor. But I can't really find a list of things.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Well if you are in town, you can't see the monitor either. But I may be missing something. I haven't seen the list of 60 things the meter monitors, do you happen to have a link to that? Mine is a simpler installation as I have one lithium battery and no solar (at this point, maybe some day not sure). It seems you can set the same alarms for the app as for the monitor. But I can't really find a list of things.
The list is in the owner's manual for the BMV-712

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...R-DE-ES-SE.pdf

Items the user can control start on page 20 and go on to page 31.

BTW, the BMV-712 is perfect for those using 6 volt batteries in series. It can monitor "mid-point battery voltage" and tell the owner which battery is failing long before it actually does.

OR

It can monitor both House and Starting batteries so you know whether or not you'll be able to start the coach engine. (And if desired, set an alarm to let you know the starting battery needs charging before it's dead).

The list goes on too. Historical data is retained. Things like total cycle count, time since last full charge and on, and on, and on----------

Old 01-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #19

I have seen some reviews that suggest the bluetooth is not very reliable from the SmartShunt. Have you had any bluetooth issues? Also one of the other forum notes suggests that the 712 unit is more controllable and has more historical data than the SmartShunt. When I look at the manuals it seems they are essentially the same, just accopmlished in a differen way. What has been your experience?

From a fellow Arizonian.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
I have seen some reviews that suggest the bluetooth is not very reliable from the SmartShunt. Have you had any bluetooth issues? Also one of the other forum notes suggests that the 712 unit is more controllable and has more historical data than the SmartShunt. When I look at the manuals it seems they are essentially the same, just accopmlished in a differen way. What has been your experience?

From a fellow Arizonian.
Bluetooth can be unreliable for a variety of reasons. Interference from other RF sources, distance, obstacles between sending "station" and receiving. My BMV actually started as a BMV-702 which I added a "Dongle" to in order to add the Bluetooth feature (included in the later released 712). Apparently the Dongle, because of it's ability to be mounted in the most favorable location, gives me better range. I can read my batteries from inside my house, about 50' away. My Victron Smart MPPT controller often can not be seen on my phone when I'm standing behind my trailer, about 25' away.

Bluetooth is limited to 100mw of transmit power and way back when I was in my Electronic's classes that power output was referred to as "Flea Power". The farther away the more chance for the signal to be corrupted by other RF signals in the same frequency range.

Best way to compare features/functions of Smart Shunt vs BMV 712 is to go to Victron's site and look at the individual manuals. Product sheets don't go into all the details, just highlights the marketing department thinks are most important.

Tags
battery