Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Which color where?

Hi, long time lurker and brand new owner of a 2013 Coachmen Clipper 17BH. I have battery question, as the leads in this trailer are a tad confusing, as I discovered when I went to hook up a battery.

As you can see from my picture, I have a white and a pink lead. The white is much thicker and has a red conenector, while the pink has a yellow connector. I tried in vain to trace them with no success.

I'm guessing the white is the positive, but when I tested the lights, there was no power. I do know the battery is charged, I found out the hard way. I decided to dc the leads and ask the forum for advice. The lights work off the TV and land power.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	48277  
Mastermason32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Camper electrical system is negative ground, same as an auto. Check which lead is grounded to the frame...it will be close to the battery.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #3

Something isn't right. One wire looks like a #12 and the other a #8. I'll bet one wire was replace with what was on hand. You might want to consider replacing the smaller wire with a #8. Remember that voltage loss is a real problem in 12 volt systems. Larger wire = less loss. Oh get yourself a meter too.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #4

might be another ground laying around. Sometimes the power jack or other accessory is grounded to the battery leaving you with 2 ground connections. I would look for another one coming off the frame.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

I had similar thoughts to all of you and the funny part is I can't trace the wires easily. Crawled underneath to trace them and both disappeared inside, with neither attached to the frame. I ran out of time and thought I would post for what I hoped was an easy answer. Guess I have to crawl around some more....
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

Typically,the white wire is the ground wire and the pink(possibly a faded red wire)would be positive.An ohm meter may help with identifying which wire is the negative(ground)wire.once you have it hooked up correctly,wrap some black tape around the neg wire and if you can find some,red tape around the pos wire.
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Could also be that the real ground is laying somewhere and the two whites are positive. Ohm meter best way to find out.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

Fox and Hound, easy way to trace wire!
Attached Images

2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Denver, CO

ANY multimeter with an OHM scale will do it. Just disconnect the wires, put one lead of your ohm meter on the frame (may need to scratch the paint or find a good contact spot. One of those leads should show no resistance, that is the negative. I am betting on the white wire and hope you didn't blow a fuse hooked up in reverse.

Marine wiring now has the 12 volt ground wire yellow and the positive red to avoid confusion with the black hot wire.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #10

Solved!

OK, finally discovered that the tech I talked to at the dealer was wrong. Simply called Coachmen Service and they told me the white, thicker wire is the ground. I switched it and had no joy. Checked my breaker and the breaker was fine. Coachmen service informed me that I have an inline battery fuse as well and that blew.

Very happy with Coachmen, less so with the dealer's tech. I called back to the dealer and spoke to another tech who informed me that it is common for the white to be the ground in trailers and not to worry about the other color for the positive.

Thanks to the community for responding- great people here! Hope to be active.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #11

went to hook mine up yesterday had the same thing but had made sure things were put in order so everything worked out well led lights turned on and they won't if wired wrong. going to paint pos. with some red paint so there won't be any questions next time.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Site Team

because you hooked up the battery wrong, you probably tripped the resettable gray or silver breaker/fuse that's located along the A-frame.
there's a tiny black button on it to reset it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
because you hooked up the battery wrong, you probably tripped the resettable gray or silver breaker/fuse that's located along the A-frame.
there's a tiny black button on it to reset it.
And to further your comment.

He may have also blew the converter protection fuses in the distribution center.
There in place incase someone hooks the battery up backwards. "Opps "

The 4 fuses on the left are the fuses in question.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396462447253.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	49018  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #14

Hey, sorry it took so long for me to reply...life has been busy.

Called FR service and they said the white was ground, and is common for RVs, and to ignore the clip colors.

I connected it and I discovered that I had blown the inline fuse, the circuit breaker fuse was fine. Sadly the inline fuse is underneath the trailer and I couldn't pull it out easily.

Heading underneath again tomorrow with a fuse puller and a pliers to hold it a little firmer.

Thanks to all who replied. Great forum.