Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2022, 01:12 PM   #1

Which specs are better on these 2 protectors?

This is NOT a debate on whether a surge protector is needed, to each his own. I’m simply trying to determine which of these 2 devices is better. I already owned the Camco and someone just gave me the almost new Progressive. The info on the boxes and at the websites is given in different ways so it is a little hard to do an oranges-to-oranges comparison. So, could a couple of you electrical guys tell me simply which device is better for protecting my GeoPro G19FD?

I plan to show the comparison I’ve done here as well as attach it as an Excel spreadsheet.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Protect compare pic.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	275510  
Attached Files
File Type: docx Surge compare 3.docx (32.3 KB, 34 views)
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

seems the comparison was done for you and the Progressive came out a bit better. Trips earlier (lower Joules) and has thermal protection.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
clr

The one with the higher Jewels is the unit that you should use. Jewels is a measurement of total power that the unit will be able to protect you from. That is a great over simplification of what the jewels measurement is all about. Any thing over the Jewel limit the unit will self sacrifice and no longer work. Most will cut the power at this point and indicate that the unit needs to be replaced.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:50 PM   #4

A couple of observations and feedback.
1. I find it hilarious that the first 2 responses give opposite answers. That is the nature though of these forums. Overall I find the forum info and feedback very helpful.
2. My first impression reviewing the specs for both devices was....
2a. The 2 units are very similar. You probably would need to work hard to find 2 others so alike to one another.
2b. If selected appropriately for your unit, almost any of these units are "good." In this instance with these 2 units I don't think you could make a bad decision.
3. All of above being considered.... I agree with CLR's assessment that the higher capacity/Joules/Camco unit is a little bit better spec wise for overall protection. I would describe this exercise as how do we "split this hair".
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
The one with the higher Jewels is the unit that you should use. Jewels is a measurement of total power that the unit will be able to protect you from. That is a great over simplification of what the jewels measurement is all about. Any thing over the Jewel limit the unit will self sacrifice and no longer work. Most will cut the power at this point and indicate that the unit needs to be replaced.
the Joules level is on the "Surge" control, yes Joules are a measure of power and thus a unit that protects at a lower joules measurement (ie. earlier) would seem to me to be the better unit as a design. This point is only on the "surge" condition and has nothing to do with the operational capacity of over powering the unit that is not listed.

At the end of the day either unit the OP asked about are going to work, close to the same. And IMO either one is better then none.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	275518
To me the Progressive is better.. better protection and life time warranty .
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
seems the comparison was done for you and the Progressive came out a bit better. Trips earlier (lower Joules) and has thermal protection.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm
Lower joules is not a good thing. The higher the better
Chardagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
the Joules level is on the "Surge" control, yes Joules are a measure of power and thus a unit that protects at a lower joules measurement (ie. earlier) would seem to me to be the better unit as a design. This point is only on the "surge" condition and has nothing to do with the operational capacity of over powering the unit that is not listed.

At the end of the day either unit the OP asked about are going to work, close to the same. And IMO either one is better then none.
A surge protector will protect at any level of surge. There is no "turn on". Higher joules is better because that the total amount of power the unit can take before it no longer works. So a unit with 1000 joule rating can either take 1000 hits of 1 joule each, or a single 1000 joule hit before it dies.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Attachment 275518
To me the Progressive is better.. better protection and life time warranty .
I'm trying to figure out what life time means. By design surge protectors will stop working. No one is going to replace a surge protector because it stops protecting against surges. Thats like saying I'll replace your tires if they ever wear out.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I'm trying to figure out what life time means. By design surge protectors will stop working. No one is going to replace a surge protector because it stops protecting against surges. Thats like saying I'll replace your tires if they ever wear out.

Jim M.
Lifetime warranty means that they'll replace it if it malfunctions.

Either one will work to protect you from surges. Neither will 'protect/shut down' the power to your rig for any other condition. You get indicator lights and nothing else. Neither will protect you from low voltage. That's just an explanation, not a judgement.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:41 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako
Actually, it's an indication of just how rare a true surge is. Plain old surge protectors are "feel good" devices. People get convinced by marketing that they need them, they have no failures, and they think the surge protector is the reason. Nope.

The electrical grid has a tremendous mount of surge protection built in. Additionally, the devices that actually do the protection, a MOV or Metal Oxide Varistor, are CHEAP, like $1 each in bulk. Want double the joules of protection? Install $2 worth. It really does work that way.

It takes a very close lightning strike to cause any appreciable surge, like to the wiring feeding your small area. That's pretty rare so the manufacturers use Lifetime Warranty as a marketing differentiator.

Ray