Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Which type battery to use

I bought a used 40' fiver last year. The only battery is 9 years old and is dead. I wanted to put a type 31 (used in 18 wheelers) in it, but the battery box is an inch short in length.
Does anyone have any insight into which battery would be best to use, such as deep cycle, marine, heavy duty, etc?
I'm really surprised that only one battery came from the factory, as my previous fiver had two. I'm planning to install another on in the future so that I can boondocking without running the generator much.
otrtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Always Learning

Which type battery to use

For boondocking: Lithium 12v drop-in! Battle Born has a 100AH (all usable vs lead batteries where only 1/2 the amp hours are available to be used).

BUT, hold onto your hat- they’re hella EXPENSIVE!
Old 02-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #3

The dealer installed a deep cycle series 24 battery from Interstate in my 5er. This is more than adequate for my needs since I do not boondock. The battery provides enough energy to power the converter and my residential refrigerator for the day as we tow the trailer.

A lot of users who want additional battery capacity install 4-6Volt golf cart batteries for their use over two 12V batteries.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #4

^^
You need only 2 - 6 volt golf cart (GC-2) batteries to acquire the same if not more amp hours than 2 - 12 volt batteries for the same footprint (square inch area).

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

If you have one of those black plastic battery boxes in the 5er,a bigger one can be bought for $10 or so. It will say it is for a group 27 battery, but a group 31 will fit just barely. I would certainly recommend that you NOT go with 2 group 24 batteries. A lot of people here go with 2 6volt golf cart batteries n series. If that is the way you choose to go, I believe that Sams Club offers the best deal. Another way is 2 (or more) group 31 batteries. I used to work for a Kenworth dealership and we would have them on sale a lot. We usually stocked 2 types. A 925-950 CCA battery and a 750 CCA battery. The 750 is the one that you want because it is closer to a deep cycle battery. That pretty much sums up the choices if you are staying with lead acid batteries. AGMs will give a little more power and battery life but costs more $$. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For boondocking: Lithium 12v drop-in! Battle Born has a 100AH (all usable vs lead batteries where only 1/2 the amp hours are available to be used).

BUT, hold onto your hat- they’re hella EXPENSIVE!
Expensive but oh so wonderful. All amps usable, charge REALLY fast, very little voltage sag with high discharge, light weight. Should I go on.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #7

If a group 27 will fit, my choice would be TROJAN 27TMH 12V 115 AH BATTERY

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

I second Blue Pill. That is a DEEP CYCLE well built workhorse.
If you prefer to spend the $$ on a maintenance free battery...the Trojan RELIANT line of AGM's in a group 27 will also serve you will.
I would not under any circumstances install "drop in" lithium batteries unless you wish to be part of the experiment instead of awaiting the results. I've a friend with 68 failures in his shop right now. Ependydad knows I wish him all the best with his choice but you have to get a LOT of performance cycles out of a battery that costs 10x as much as a normal deep cycle. If he's still got them in 3 years...I'll be more than happy to concede the point!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Talk to the folks at pleasureway who are using the lithium’s in lieu of a generator, or give progressive dynamics a call about their experience with LI’s. A friend with 68 failures fails to impress me much. Or keep using the dinosaurs, that’s fine.

That 10 times as much money is NOT a legitimate number on a performance basis and should not be quoted, ridiculous.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Talk to the folks at pleasureway who are using the lithium’s in lieu of a generator, or give progressive dynamics a call about their experience with LI’s. A friend with 68 failures fails to impress me much. Or keep using the dinosaurs, that’s fine.

That 10 times as much money is NOT a legitimate number on a performance basis and should not be quoted, ridiculous.
My friend operates his own marine electronics business, has all the testing equipment and is certified and regarded as one of the very best guys nationally. He is HIRED by magazines to do independent testing AND he has built LI banks cell by cell & BMS systems etc. etc. ...I've posted links to his results here several times. He AND I are believers in lithium technology and the benefits it can bring.
YOU need to read more closely. I said DROP IN lithium batteries (which claim to be compatible with existing systems) are an experiment which does not see to be working and based on RC's results to date are not delivering on their promise of ECONOMY through cycle life since they are failing sooner than lead batteries in use in drop in situations. So the 10x figure is accurate because they don't live up to the claims being made by those who wish to make a buck by making it seem easy to switch to lithium. I've provided the links to my friends site and "white paper" several times now. Perhaps you should read it. I'd trust him over those know their marketing departments are lying.
QUOTE: "Since opening this article to the public I have now had what I consider an insane number of *LFP owners contact me who have ruined LiFePo4 batteries (not all marine based). In almost all of these cases of destroyed LiFePO4 batteries the resounding tone I hear come through is; People on the internet made it sound easy.The internet has a name for these kind of cheerleaders “fan boys“. Do yourself a favor and don’t jump to conclusions where large sums of money are involved over “fan boy” postings."

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/
Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

Sam's Club sells Duracell RV Batteries,,, I may be buying a pair of 31s this spring !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #12

Just looked up Battle Born Lithium Ion batteries online. They cost better than 900 bucks each. I'm sure they do what people say, but are they cost effective. 2 golf cart 6 volt cost about $200. (Interstate-Costco) (Duracell-Sams). If you are a true boondocker that spends months without hookups then yes, I can see the expense, but if you go out for a week here or there, doesn't make much sense. Understand that the L-Ion batteries may require tweeks in the converters also. I'm glad there are people out there trying out the L-Ions for the rest of us so we will know when the time comes to convert over.
I'll be glad when they are cost effective for the RV's. Use them in so many other applications and am really pleased with the extended life, and the charging times.

What kind of life span are you getting with them now?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #13

I am considering buying the Interstate golf cart batteries at Costco. The label says they are 210Ah which is considerably better than the private label batteries that came with my Coachman Mirada. Has anyone tried these?
mdebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebs View Post
I am considering buying the Interstate golf cart batteries at Costco. The label says they are 210Ah which is considerably better than the private label batteries that came with my Coachman Mirada. Has anyone tried these?
Well of course those are 6V batteries and you have to buy 2 to get the 210 amp hours at 12V. Really no different than buying a pair of 12V group27 or 31's in deep cycle for similar amp ratings.
The advantage in the interstates at Costco is price. The disadvantage vs. 12V is that if ONE fails...nothing works until you can get a replacement PAIR.
I prefer 12V in a 2 battery system...6V in a 4 battery system...but lots of folks use 6V in pairs. Interstate is just a distribution lable that uses batteries made by Exide and JohnsonControls.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebs View Post
I have 4 Interstates. 2 each in Series, then each double set wired in parallel. I went with the Interstates because I have a Costco Card. In my Montana, (my older trailer) I had the Duracells from Sam's. (Same 4 battery setup). They were still going strong after 8 years. Both have so far served me well. My brother has the Duracells in his trailer and they work well. I have heard that Sam's sells a set with more Amp hours, but you would have to investigate that. My Interstates have done well so far with a summer of boondocking under our belt.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #16

Sam's sells 3 different Duracell batteries,,, one is $197 a commercial battery $99 and a Deep Cell RV battery for $94 ??? I have not yet compared them !!!
I will be looking @ the $99 one or the $94 one !!!
We boondock about one day & night each year !!!
But our almost 5 year old batteries do not seem to hold a charge very long !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery