Old 01-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #1

Who makes a good battery charger?

What brand and model for my A-Frame should I get?
Stouderpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
Citrus County, Fl.

Not sure what you are looking for. If you just want to charge a depleted battery I use one from harbor freight to re-charge a battery that runs a 12 volt pump. It works ok. On the other hand, the easiest way to keep your battery charged is leave the A-Frame plugged in and let the converter do it.

If you are removing the battery for the winter the best thing to do is buy a battery "maintainer". I have used the Battery Tender for years and keep my motorcycles and lawn tractor hooked up to them when parked. This one is $47.75 at Amazon.

Robot Check
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

Hey thanks!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

Rather than keeping my A-frame plugged in all the time while parked at home, I disconnect the negative wire from my battery when I get home. I then charge the battery using a battery charger/maintainer. I leave it on for a couple of days, and if I am not going camping for a while I recharge again about once a month. I leave the battery disconnected until the next camping trip.
I recommend the CTEK MUS4.3 battery charger/maintainer. It can be left on for long periods of time, and will be a good maintainer over the winter. I am going to remove my battery and bring it into the garage for winter.
This is just an alternative to leaving your camper plugged in all the time, and may not be for everybody. Works well for me.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #5

My 5er is plugged in in the driveway and the 3-stage WFCO converter is floating the battery at a perfect 13.2V.

For standalone chargers, I'm partial to the Noco Genius series... I have 3 of them... on a Mazda Miata and a motorcycle that never leave the garage in the winter and on my dual battery diesel truck that may go a month or more without going anywhere in the winter, now that I'm retired.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

I'm trying to buy a good charger now but all the new ones cut off at 13.6 v. So the when the battery gets to 75 % or so, the charger back off the current to maintain the 13.6 volts cutoff.

Someone said Iota but I don't see any that go beyond 13.6 volts.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #7

I'm a fan of Progressive Dyamics charger with the optional pendant that lets you now what stage of charging you are in.

I guess some FR campers have a 3 stage charger in them already but do they tell you what phase of the charge you are in? The WFCO chargers are notoriously unreliable.

The problem with most chargers is that the final 10% can take a long time. PD advertises that it will take 2-3 hours to charge a 125 amp battery to 90% and a full 15 hours to get the last 10% in to 100% charge. Before we were using solar, we we were running the generator 4-6 hours in the morning and another 4 or so hours in the evening. Solar has allowed us to usually cut our generator use about 3-4 hours/day.

I was ok with hitting 90% previously as it was good enough! Having solar helps a bunch.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I'm a fan of Progressive Dyamics charger with the optional pendant that lets you now what stage of charging you are in.

I guess some FR campers have a 3 stage charger in them already but do they tell you what phase of the charge you are in? The WFCO chargers are notoriously unreliable.

The problem with most chargers is that the final 10% can take a long time. PD advertises that it will take 2-3 hours to charge a 125 amp battery to 90% and a full 15 hours to get the last 10% in to 100% charge. Before we were using solar, we we were running the generator 4-6 hours in the morning and another 4 or so hours in the evening. Solar has allowed us to usually cut our generator use about 3-4 hours/day.

I was ok with hitting 90% previously as it was good enough! Having solar helps a bunch.
I found that out the other day. A friend gave me a 100 amp/ hr battery that was used once and then left setting for a 6 months to a year. The voltage was 11.9 volts and the hydrometer was way up in the red. In 24 hours using my TT WFCO, the battery was at the border of the white and red. I pulled it off and finished charging it with a car charger in just a few hours. I don't think I'll be able to rely on the WFCO for boondocking from what I've seen so far which is why I'm getting this crash course from you guys on batteries.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #9

So what charger/converter system is recommended for three 12 volt batteries in parallel?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #10

How much amp do I need the charger to handle? They have .75, 3.5,4.3 and so on. Do I need a desulfurization model. Looking at brands like NOCO,C-Tech and Schumacher. Prices range from 29.99 to 45.00 on Amazon.

Tags
battery