Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
JCR

wi fi ranger connected but no internet

I set up this wi fi ranger at home close to good wi fi signal from my home. My smart phone connects fine to my wi fi and internet. My phone is also configured to my Ranger .. the phone says connected but no internet when I switch to my Ranger .?? What am i doing wrong ?..Thx
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Sounds to me like your phone is finding the ranger wifi signal but you ranger is not connected to your home wifi network.

Are you able to get into your ranger console and see if it’s connected to your home wifi network?
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
JCR

Thanks , but how do I get into the Ranger console ??
Old 11-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I set up this wi fi ranger at home close to good wi fi signal from my home. My smart phone connects fine to my wi fi and internet. My phone is also configured to my Ranger .. the phone says connected but no internet when I switch to my Ranger .?? What am i doing wrong ?..Thx
Quote:
I guess I'm confused... how did you set up the WIFI Ranger if you didn't connect to it and get into the settings? (console-njfishing's words)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #5

They call it a "Control Panel" Here is a manual I found online, not sure it's the one for your specific model but it's likely all models work the same https://wifiranger.com/wp-content/up...nual_Rev11.pdf

Flowing their instructions you'll use your phone or laptop browser to gain access to the Wifi Ranger Control Panel and you then need to set it up. Part of the process is to find and connect it to a wifi network which in your case and for now is your home wifi network. You'll need to choose your home network and supply the password. Once it's connected to your home network then the devices you connect to the wifi ranger network should have internet access.

Keep in mind you'll want to keep these instructions handy because once you arrive at a new campground, you'll need them to get into the Wifi Ranger Control Panel again to select the campground network which will likely require a password as well.

The bad news it's kind of a cryptic process to get it set up. The good news is once you have a network and password set up for your favorite campground the Control Panel remembers it and you'll only have to do this once unless the Campground changes it's network name and or password.

Good luck.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 11-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #6
JCR

Thanks,but when I try to get to control panel I get no address found.
I looked at my house instructions and found that my ranger is sky lte model.Is it then only able to work with sim card only?If I remove the lte module will it revert back to wifi booster.Many questions.?
Old 11-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #7

To access the Wi-Fi Ranger Control Panel, type in the control panel address (ex., 10.1.XX.YY.1:8080). You can determine the XX and YY from your NETWORK Broadcast of your WiFIRanger. For example;

SSID: Pvt.WiFiRanger.4067
Password: changemenow4067
IP Address: 10.140.67.1:8080

https://wifiranger.com/wp-content/up...nual_Rev11.pdf
Pfxmichaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #8

Well if your phone is saying it’s connected to the wifi rangers it’s seeing the network it creates. You have to be doing something wrong when trying to access the control panel... At this point I think it’s best that you contact WIFI ranger Customer Support.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 11-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I set mine up at home in the driveway. It all works, but I’ve never used it at a campground since the bandwidth/speed of transmission with my mobile phone and tablet have always been better than the ‘free’ WiFi. The Ranger is as useful as the inverter: I’ve had no use for either. In the case of having campground shore power, we don’t need it and in the case of dry camping, we don’t need it because we use 12 volts directly along with propane, since using the inverter is just a way to waste energy. E.g, for coffee, we use a tiny Keurig for coffee when we have power, but we use a manual press with water heated on the gas range in the galley when we don’t. All of our rechargeable electronics, like a laptop, use DC-DC converters built in, and about the only thing that uses only AC power is our little Dust Buster to recharge and if it mattered, I’d get a DC-DC converter for it.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
jkoenig24

Poke around here:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=10.134.9.1...l&t=osx&ia=web

You'll find several articles re WiFi Ranger Control Panel and getting set up.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #11

Is your house WiFi broadcasting its SSID so the Ranger knows it’s there?
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
I set mine up at home in the driveway. It all works, but I’ve never used it at a campground since the bandwidth/speed of transmission with my mobile phone and tablet have always been better than the ‘free’ WiFi. The Ranger is as useful as the inverter: I’ve had no use for either. In the case of having campground shore power, we don’t need it and in the case of dry camping, we don’t need it because we use 12 volts directly along with propane, since using the inverter is just a way to waste energy. E.g, for coffee, we use a tiny Keurig for coffee when we have power, but we use a manual press with water heated on the gas range in the galley when we don’t. All of our rechargeable electronics, like a laptop, use DC-DC converters built in, and about the only thing that uses only AC power is our little Dust Buster to recharge and if it mattered, I’d get a DC-DC converter for it.
I agree with you 100%. The Wifi Ranger and products like it create a step between your devices and the Wifi network you are eventually trying to connect to and slows it down to a crawl. That and most campground networks are slow to begin with and it makes them even slower.

Because of the external antenna, it might find a wifi network or 2 on the fringe that you wouldn't otherwise see and perhaps give you a more persistent connection but the speeds you'll get will be like watching paint dry. About the only thing it will be tolerable for is texts and email, forget about streaming.

Using your phone as a hot spot over the cell network is much simpler and you get faster speeds in almost every situation I've been in.
Curt Trutrack WDH
Old 11-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

There are some tutorial videos on the Ranger site:
https://wifiranger.com/support/tutorials/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote