Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #1

Will Truck Alternator Charge House Batteries - 2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400W

I've read, and read, and read....and now my brain is spinning. So, I'll pose the question as straight-forwardly as as I can (that's a euphemism for not really knowing what I'm talking about)

Is the engine alternator supposed to charge the house batteries?
If yes, under what circumstances?
Only when driving?
When the engine is idling in Park?

I'm trying to figure out how to get out of a worst case scenario where the house batteries are dead enough that they cannot start the generator while I'm popped out.
Eric Heffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

I'm replying to myself. Here is an email I received from Ryan at Forest River. Hopefully this can be helpful to others.

The only thing hooked up from the chassis to the generator is the fuel line. However the generator runs to charge the house batteries and when they are fully charged the solenoid will switch to the chassis battery to charge. The chassis when on will provide a charge to the house batteries to of course in case your house batteries die or to start the generator at the generator itself.
Eric Heffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Sounds like the reply from Ryan only addressed what happens when the GENERATOR runs.

As for the engine ALTERNATOR, it should charge the house batteries as well as the starting battery but in what order or when, that depends on the interface between Engine Charging System and house batteries. Depending on the interface (often referred to as a BIRD or BIM, one set or the other will receive charging current whenever the engine is running. When one set is charged then current is switched to the other.

The generator is not the engine alternator which was your original question.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, sunseeker, truck