Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Part-Time

Windjammer/Ultra V Solar Install

Hi All,
I have a 2017 2618 Ultra V Rockwood that I want to install a couple of solar panels on. I was hoping to put a weather head right in the crown of the V and run my cables right down the front to the batteries. It looks like there should be some vacant space right there in the nose and I wondering if anyone has already on done an install on a Windjammer style trailer. Also I was thinking of going with rigid panels thinking that they tougher and would be easy to remove down the road if there was any sort of problems. Haven't had a reason to drill or cut into the roof just yet and was wondering if anyone knows just how thick the plywood is up there and if it is strong enough to support screws and brackets. My kitchen is in the front and I could mount the controller inside a kitchen cabinet if I can pull wire down through the nose. Would appreciate ideas and suggestions from those of you who might have already covered this ground.
Thanks,
Mark
mwtracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #2

I can't offer much help other then maybe try the search function at the upper right there are tons of articles about installing solar narrow your search to Rockwood V and you may get lucky good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #3

I put solar on our windjammer. I used solid panels and ran the wire down inside the wall in our front bedroom closet. I was considering running the wires down the V but couldn't see how to get into it.
With the panel mounting brackets you need to use a good stud finder and make sure that you have the front screws into the cross members. also use a good amount of dicor under your brackets. We have 415 watts on the roof and a 260 watt portable panel. We have been in southern AZ since last November enjoying the sun. Panels work good.
DonMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Part-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMcKay View Post
I put solar on our windjammer. I used solid panels and ran the wire down inside the wall in our front bedroom closet. I was considering running the wires down the V but couldn't see how to get into it.
With the panel mounting brackets you need to use a good stud finder and make sure that you have the front screws into the cross members. also use a good amount of dicor under your brackets. We have 415 watts on the roof and a 260 watt portable panel. We have been in southern AZ since last November enjoying the sun. Panels work good.
Thanks Don,
My walls are foam filled, did you pull an interior panel off to run the wire? Also the roof is a foam filled laminate not really sure about cross members. Trying to get an answer from FR about just how thick that wood might be up there. Glad you are enjoying the sun, sounds like you have some pretty serious solar power there.
mwtracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

i don't have a super V but here's my thought looking at the floor plan. You could run the wiring down your fridge vent and mount your charge controller/breakers in the adjacent upper cabinet or lower cabinet then run the charging wires through the cabinets to the nose of the V and then out to the batteries.

Gary
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

WE already have solar controllers in the lower cabinets in the kitchen located in the V adjacent to the Fridge.

They are currently used with portable panels - I ran the wires through the 'ceiling' above the propane tanks into the cabinet area. In the future, I plan to install some rigid panels on the roof and run the cables behind the fridge and then drill into the cabinet area from the back of the fridge.

Also plan to upgrade the Flooded batteries to LiFePo4 (along with a new converter).

My biggest concern is screwing into the roof....
Windjammingnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, windjammer