RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #21

I use a battery maintainer on my 6 volt golf carts. They've lasted for years without issue. I'm changing to lithiums this winter. Given the cost, I don't want to make any mistakes so will keep them on the bench fully charged.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
Not sure where you live but if it gets below freezing and stays there as it does up here in the North East I would recommend pulling them and taking it indoors and then put it on the charger. The freezing of a battery is as detrimental as letting it discharge too far.
A fully charged lead/acid battery will not freeze until the temp reaches -90F. Also a fully charged battery will lose less than 10% of it's full charge sitting outside in the cold winter for 6 months.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 AM   #23

In the Champlain Valley of Vermont, I leave the batteries as is, keep the trailer plugged in to line voltage, and let the converter do its job. Solar should also be completely adequate.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #24

Just charge them, then disconnect. A charged battery will not freeze.
scrbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #25

Battery acid ruined too many of my clothes when I naively pulled the batteries from my boats and campers for winter storage.

Follow the advice above: Leave them in place, fully charge and disconnect. (Complete disconnect by removing or switching the Negative pole.) Winter storage in November; lowest my batteries have been in April is 12.3vDC about 65% charged.

The old wives tale about batteries discharging on concrete hasn't been true since the 1950s when battery case technology improved.

Lift with your knees and be careful of the battery acid if you (needlessly) pull and store your batteries.

-- Chuck
Old 10-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
Not sure where you live but if it gets below freezing and stays there as it does up here in the North East I would recommend pulling them and taking it indoors and then put it on the charger. The freezing of a battery is as detrimental as letting it discharge too far.

Just for the record no matter where you are science 101 applies, the sun is not as intense in the winter months so it won't work that well.

On all my toys I remove the batteries, set them up on a table in my basement and then connect to trickle chargers that keep the batteries nicely topped of and not allowing them to go below 50% charge level.

Here's a link that has some specifics on cold weather battery status based on tests by the US Army Corp of Engineers. According to the chart on page 6, a 50% discharged battery will freeze at temps below about -40C (which happens to equal -40F). Self discharge rates decrease to a negligible levels as the temps drop.

The document states "Batteries should be stored in a cold place, say, about -15C, although when charged to a specific gravity of 1.280 or greater, they can be stored at -1C indefinitely without deteriorating."

So, unless you are deep in Alaska or northern Canada or have other concerns, fully charge the battery and then fully disconnect it. It will be fine come spring. On an RV, the recommendation I see most, is that you should disconnect the negative lead first.
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a239115.pdf

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #27

batt pull

Although our winters are not drastically cold here in NJ I have just been pulling them as it's no big deal to take them into garage for winter and put on a tender. It was the factory recommendation as well if I recall. This year I was thinking about leaving them in the RV (disconnected) and put on a tender or just leaving the RV plugged in. As I cover the trailer in the off season solar charging is not an option.
RCPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #28

I am in the habit of just leaving my two heavy size 31 deep cycle batteries in place (and I do mid-winter vehicle and generator warm-ups) and I leave shore power plugged in all winter. However, I found that my 2007 Sunseeker 3100SS converter would charge the coach batteries at an excessive 14.2 volts, resulting in having to pull them in the spring to add water, and clean corrosion caused by excessive vapor venting. It also shortened battery life. The Deltran battery tenders I use for all my other batteries limit final voltage to 13.35 volts. I now put my shore line on a timer that limits charging to an hour per day.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, storage, winter