Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #1

Winter trickle charging parallel batteries

I just removed the parallel batteries from our TT and brought them into my workshop for the winter. I want to use a trickle charger for the next 5-6 months. Can I leave the parallel cables connected between them, and just connect the charger to one battery? It seems like this should be fine, since there's no difference I can think of between doing that, and what happens when the batteries are installed on the TT and charging off the TT inverter when on shore power, or when connected to the TV 7-pin cable.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aDTmIeZ[1].jpg
Views:	379
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	265372  
Old 11-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInPA View Post
Can I leave the parallel cables connected between them, and just connect the charger to one battery? It seems like this should be fine, since there's no difference I can think of between doing that, and what happens when the batteries are installed on the TT and charging off the TT inverter when on shore power, or when connected to the TV 7-pin cable.

Exactly. Should be no problem.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #3

I use a battery maintainer on my rig and boat (both have dual batteries) with no problems.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #4

Yes but no need to. Just disconnect them, and make sure they're fully charged and topped off. They'll be fine. No need for having them on a maintainer for 5-6 months.
61Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Tele View Post
Yes but no need to. Just disconnect them, and make sure they're fully charged and topped off. They'll be fine. No need for having them on a maintainer for 5-6 months.
True, a maintainer isn't required, but using one is actually better for the batteries. Lead Acid batteries still self discharge, no matter how good a brand. During the time they sit at any level of discharge SOME sulfation occurs. Even if it isn't much it does occur and becomes cumulative.

If one wants the absolute maximum life possible out of a battery, storing with a maintainer connected (and plugged in) during storage is the absolute best way to achieve that.

It's kind of a choice between "The Best Way" and "Good Enough".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

Bringing your batteries into your workshop has probably increased the need for a trickle charger. The warmer the batteries are the faster they self discharge. A recommended temp for L/A battery storage by the US Army COE is 5F.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

Great question post - I am getting ready to set batteries up for the winter by using the battery disconnect switch then connecting a trickle charger/maintainer for the winter months. I've had good success with other batteries by using a trickle charger but not yet tried with a parallel condition so your post and others answers were helpful. Thank you all!

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Tele View Post
Inside at room temps they will lose 10% a month

Leave em outside and they'll be fine with only a 1 or 2 percent loss
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasch View Post
Great question post - I am getting ready to set batteries up for the winter by using the battery disconnect switch then connecting a trickle charger/maintainer for the winter months. I've had good success with other batteries by using a trickle charger but not yet tried with a parallel condition so your post and others answers were helpful. Thank you all!
Batteries connected in parallel are just one larger battery as far as a charger is concerned. According to "Battery University" lead acid batteries can self discharge up to 3% per month so a maintainer large enough to " maintain" is recommended. Some small "Wall Wart" maintainers may be fine for small batteries but fall short on larger ones, especially two in parallel.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInPA View Post
I just removed the parallel batteries from our TT and brought them into my workshop for the winter. I want to use a trickle charger for the next 5-6 months. Can I leave the parallel cables connected between them, and just connect the charger to one battery? It seems like this should be fine, since there's no difference I can think of between doing that, and what happens when the batteries are installed on the TT and charging off the TT inverter when on shore power, or when connected to the TV 7-pin cable.
No issue keeping them hooked up to a battery maintainer. Hooking the maintainer up to a single battery isn't the best way to keep them charged. That hookup will maintain the two batteries at slightly different rates which isn't good for them. A better approach is to keep them hooked up with the parallel cables, making them a single larger battery. The maintainer is then connected to the plus terminal on one battery and the minus terminal on the other battery. If you follow the cable lengths, you'll see than the cable lengths to both batteries will be the same length with this arrangement.

If the maintainer is attached to a single battery, the other battery has longer cable lengths to it which should have a small effect on the charge delivered to the second battery.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
No issue keeping them hooked up to a battery maintainer. Hooking the maintainer up to a single battery isn't the best way to keep them charged. That hookup will maintain the two batteries at slightly different rates which isn't good for them. A better approach is to keep them hooked up with the parallel cables, making them a single larger battery. The maintainer is then connected to the plus terminal on one battery and the minus terminal on the other battery. If you follow the cable lengths, you'll see than the cable lengths to both batteries will be the same length with this arrangement.

If the maintainer is attached to a single battery, the other battery has longer cable lengths to it which should have a small effect on the charge delivered to the second battery.

Phil
What you say is correct for high charging currents but at the average <5 amp maintainer current voltage drop will be negligible. Actually almost non existant for practical purposes.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #12

Winter Storage

I have 2 - 75aH AGM batteries on my TT, and I don't remove them, I just unplug the trailer from shore power and connect my battery tender/maintainer to the the battery terminal of Solar Panel controller. have been doing this for years on both TT & 5th wheel (Has 2 - 125aH AGM). Never lost a battery yet and they been in service over 10 years.
ve6kjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:09 PM   #13

I went with this for the winter, and it seemed to work fine.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-amp-...ner-63350.html
Old 04-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #14

You might get slightly better life/performance if you hook the load across both batteries instead of just one. It will force them to share better.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #15

Coming up six months late to this party... But if the batteries are wired like the photo they're wired wrong.

Wrong (yours):

Correct (Yeah the difference is subtle):

And, no, the sky is not falling but it's best to be correct.

-- Chuck
Old 04-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #16

The photo was before I removed everything from the travel trailer. But I probably did connect things less than optimally on my work bench. I just had the batteries connected + to + and - to - with the same single red and black cables from the trailer. I connected the + and - charger/maintainer device cables to the + and - terminals of one of the batteries. I tried it with the charger's + cable on one battery and the - cable to the other battery for a bit, but the readout did not look right, so I put it back. Every couple weeks, I just moved the charger cables to the other battery. Display readout was showing 13V consistently on both batteries all winter, so I think (hope) everything was fine. Now that the batteries are back in the TT, I have them on the shore power charging.

Tags
batteries, charging, winter